Asking for help: Please post the balance point of your production cue.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, I am looking to find a production cue that has the balance point at 48 - 50cm (19.3") measured from the buttcap. Weight should be around 19.5oz, give or take. If someone has a cue that comes close to this, please reply here so I can take a look at it. I prefer wrapless or leather wrap, but a nice linen will do if I cant decide about it. Joint doesnt matter, anything from Mezz joints to Unilock will do, Radials etc. too. Looking to match it up with a predator shaft maybe, so something universally used will be okay. A butt that has a thread to put a extension on it would be ideal, like Mezz or a Predator.

Lookwise I'm not too picky, points are welcome, I like the look of ebony, cocobolo, bocote to some extent, brown or gray coloured maple etc. classy.

In a perfect world I'd find a Mezz to match these ideal specs, as I have a couple of United shafts and the Exceed extension already. If someone knows if they are willing to customise their cues to exact specs, please give the contact information for such person :rolleyes: That would definetly be the best way to do this, but I'm a bit unsure if they are willing to modify the balance point and maybe even the butt diameter for a single cue on request :confused:

Please help a fellow out, post your cue model and balance point here, tell what shaft and weight you are playing with. I would love to find something that would be just perfect for my taste, I'm pretty close with my current Mezz AYA, but not quite though.
You know, the usual "one more cue and I'm done" drill, this could be another step closer to perfection for me :smile:

This look is pretty much perfect look imo. excluding the wrap, so anything similiar is more than welcome :embarrassed2:

MPC2-703C.jpg

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Many cues that can take adjustable weight bolts are usually bored pretty deep so you can adjust the weight and balance point as well. Have you tried local repair guy?

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon tends to make forward balanced cues, I've had a lot in that 19-19.5" balance point range, all right around 19.3-19.6oz. That is with stock shafts. When I put my LD shafts on them they tended to fall below that because the LD shafts are light compared to the standard Schon shafts....so keep that in mind.

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I imagine joint hardware affects balance point. Pins, female inserts, collars, pilots, etc..

I think Schon joint hardware is all metal, insert, collar, pilot. Could be why their cues are a little more forward weighted than others. For example a flat face joint where the pin threads directly into wood.

Last edited:

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Let's start here: What's the weight of your Mezz AYA, and what do you want to do with it? Add weight? Move the balance point a little more forward than where it is right now?

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AYA is at 19.3, balances roughly at 44cm. And yes, Im looking to get a little more forward weighed cue. Its pretty hard as the shaft cant be easily equipped with a bolt, as the united joint is pretty small in diameter and theres no one here in Finland that is willing to work on stuff like this for reasonable money. And I would rather leave the AYA as it is, its the first cue that I have had my BNR's and I have played it for long enough that its a bit special to me.

Thank you all for the input on this matter, I'll take a closer look at Schons at first.

Does anyone know how far the Mezz Exceeds are customisable and at what price range do they move in?

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the weight of the butt and shaft separately? And is there a weight bolt in the butt and if so, how much?

HoldemRw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
uploadfromtaptalk1448342938429.jpguploadfromtaptalk1448342957976.jpg

The mezz EC7 in pic is close depending on shaft. Balance point with WD700 is 18inches.
Balance point with Wx700. Is. 18 5/8 inches
Balance point with Alpha Hybrid is. 18 7/8 inches

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about the sneakies balance point, can you check that for me? Im really starting to lean towards going wrapless as I have played with my girlfriends predator sport for a while now. And sneakies look really nice in my eyes :)

Damn I feel confused about this whole thing... I adjust very easily for deflection differences and such, but I really struggle to find a cue that feels natural for me feelwise. As I have borrowed all of my friends cues and listed what I like and dislike about each, I have come to a conclusion that a wrapless cue at 19,5oz and forward balance, preferably with a united (5/16x14) or uniloc joint is what I am looking for. A standard maple shaft would be really nice to have too. Now its a matter of finding one that falls in that category :confused: Oh, and add to that the fact that I would really like to be able use a Mezz extension with it. Seems like I'm knee deep in cue trouble :thumbup:

I really hate being a perfectionist :grin:

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have come to a conclusion that a wrapless cue at 19,5oz and forward balance, preferably with a united (5/16x14) or uniloc joint is what I am looking for. A standard maple shaft would be really nice to have too.

Now its a matter of finding one that falls in that category

You basically just described your every day average Schon cue.
I have a few Schon's and they are all between 19 and 19 3/4.
That's a huge difference from the 44 cm you're used to which is only 17.3 inches.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Production cues

So, I am looking to find a production cue that has the balance point at 48 - 50cm (19.3") measured from the buttcap. Weight should be around 19.5oz, give or take. If someone has a cue that comes close to this, please reply here so I can take a look at it. I prefer wrapless or leather wrap, but a nice linen will do if I cant decide about it. Joint doesnt matter, anything from Mezz joints to Unilock will do, Radials etc. too. Looking to match it up with a predator shaft maybe, so something universally used will be okay. A butt that has a thread to put a extension on it would be ideal, like Mezz or a Predator.

Lookwise I'm not too picky, points are welcome, I like the look of ebony, cocobolo, bocote to some extent, brown or gray coloured maple etc. classy.

In a perfect world I'd find a Mezz to match these ideal specs, as I have a couple of United shafts and the Exceed extension already. If someone knows if they are willing to customise their cues to exact specs, please give the contact information for such person :rolleyes: That would definetly be the best way to do this, but I'm a bit unsure if they are willing to modify the balance point and maybe even the butt diameter for a single cue on request :confused:

Please help a fellow out, post your cue model and balance point here, tell what shaft and weight you are playing with. I would love to find something that would be just perfect for my taste, I'm pretty close with my current Mezz AYA, but not quite though.
You know, the usual "one more cue and I'm done" drill, this could be another step closer to perfection for me :smile:

This look is pretty much perfect look imo. excluding the wrap, so anything similiar is more than welcome :embarrassed2:

MPC2-703C.jpg

Almost any cue repair guy can machine the butt of almost any production cue and change the weight and balance point to what the customers want
with in reason.

HoldemRw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
uploadfromtaptalk1448370667825.jpguploadfromtaptalk1448370685538.jpg

I have mezz ec7. With wx700 shaft balance point is 181/2" with alphahybrid shaft its 18 7/8"

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you all for helping me out! I will try to find a wrapless Schön somewhere, its a maker I have always liked a lot, too bad that most of their cues are not my taste regarding looks... Nearly all I can find in Europe have Linen wraps and box inlays, fancy rings etc. all the things I dislike about a cue. Maybe one will come up eventually that is pleaisng to my picky eyes :rolleyes:

Feel free to continue giving your thoughts, suggest other cues and so on. You have helped me a ton, hopefully I'll find or have something nice made for me eventually :smile:

HoldemRw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about the sneakies balance point, can you check that for me? Im really starting to lean towards going wrapless as I have played with my girlfriends predator sport for a while now. And sneakies look really nice in my eyes :)

Damn I feel confused about this whole thing... I adjust very easily for deflection differences and such, but I really struggle to find a cue that feels natural for me feelwise. As I have borrowed all of my friends cues and listed what I like and dislike about each, I have come to a conclusion that a wrapless cue at 19,5oz and forward balance, preferably with a united (5/16x14) or uniloc joint is what I am looking for. A standard maple shaft would be really nice to have too. Now its a matter of finding one that falls in that category :confused: Oh, and add to that the fact that I would really like to be able use a Mezz extension with it. Seems like I'm knee deep in cue trouble :thumbup:

I really hate being a perfectionist :grin:

The sneakie balance point is back a touch further with each shaft. Roughly around 1/4 inch less with each shaft than the EC7 is.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 2003 Pechauer Professional Series P22 http://pechauer.com/retired-cues

It comes with two (2) shafts. One shaft is the new P+ Pro radially laminated shaft.

It is a very nice cue... I've taken good care of it. Very nice hit. $700.00 OBO

Attachments

• Pechauer Butt.jpg
    Pechauer Butt.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 620
  • Pechauer Fore.jpg
    Pechauer Fore.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 653
  • Pechauer Forearm.jpg
    Pechauer Forearm.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 599
Last edited:

skiergd011013

Pechauers are forward balanced and have a lot of nice wrapless choices. They do have their own pin setup so be aware of that. Schon has the BW3 which is ebony wrapless with 6 points, basically a sneaky look.

http://www.billiardshowroom.com/schon/specialwebimages/BW3-800.jpg
using the non-precision method of balancing it on my pinky finger, my new pechauers balance point is approx 18 1/4 to 18.5 inches (measured from the butt cap). Is that good? I honestly never knew about cue balance points until i started reading azbilliards.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 3 Schons, linen, leather, and wrap less, all balance over 19" with stock shafts, and with Jacoby LD shafts they balance between 18 7/8"-19 1/8". I'm looking for another wrap less that interests me, really like the one I have. I've seen a few wrap less lately, one was really similar to mine, and Seyberts had one the other day, but was gone in one day.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In these days of cues that vary in length from 57 to 65 inches or so, quoting balance point measured from the bumper makes little sense. What is important to the player is the balance point measured from the tip. Yes, from the bumper is traditional, but 57 inch cues were traditional as well.