Attention pool players in the northwest suburbs of Chicago...

acesinc1999

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ACES Snooker Club in Crystal Lake, IL is looking for new members. If you are a player who has been displaced by the recent pool hall closings in Algonquin, Fox Lake, and Palatine, consider plying your craft on a full size snooker table.
Beyond bar boxes and a few bowling alleys, quality equipment has become rather hard to find in this area.
Snooker on a full size table is not for the faint of heart, intermediate or better players are recommended. Beginners are welcome but, at 6' x 12', they may be intimidated by the size.
We will be having a small, open tournament in June in an effort to introduce to prospective new players. If interested, PM me or go to the club website at

http://www.acesmachinery.com/snooker.htm

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Crystal lake explains why I hadn't heard of it, since that's a half days ride by horse and buggy, but I am delighted to hear that there are snewkah players and a good table somewhat nearby. Thanks for the heads up.

acesinc1999

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bump...trying to catch the eye of anyone that may be interested in proper (international rules) snooker.

Just looking for a few pool/billiards players in the far northwest suburbs of Chicago...centered on Crystal Lake. Say an area encircling Palatine, Barrington, Cary, Lake Zurich, Fox Lake, McHenry, Woodstock, Elgin, Algonquin, maybe even Hoffman Estates and Schaumburg

ACES Snooker Club is small with very probably the finest Snooker/English Billiards equipment available in the region. Pool halls are few and far between in this area, but perhaps Snooker is right under your nose and you didn't even realize it.

When I first laid eyes on a snooker table in England a long time ago, I fell in love with a pastime of which I had previously never even been aware, let alone played before. Today, with the age of the internet, probably everyone reading this post is at least aware of what snooker is, even if you have not had opportunity to play the game yet. Perhaps if you live in the geography defined, you can try an actual frame of snooker and be charmed forever by her siren song as was I nearly thirty years since.

We are a small club and looking to pick up a few more members for small tournaments, league, and casual game play. We will be hosting a sort of introductory tournament in June so anyone that may be interested may contact me through the website in the original post.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I was a little closer would love to give it a go, only have played on 5'x10' and really
enjoy the game. Crystal Lake probably is about 75 miles. Good luck finding players.

acesinc1999

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bump...
A note to the other posters and anyone else that may be outside the "local" area of Crystal Lake, IL:

Original purpose of this thread was to encourage local players to give full size snooker a try, they may turn into regular players, but ACES Snooker Club has actually hosted visitors from all over the world....recently had someone in from Hong Kong; also a group visiting Chicago from Ireland stopped in for an afternoon. Even if you are a bit of a drive away, feel free to contact me to arrange for a visit sometime. Just give ample lead time....we have a table reservation system so we want to give you plenty of time to enjoy the experience.

And a note for anyone who has not yet had opportunity to see or play on a full size snooker table:

The next time you see a Mini Cooper driving down the road, you can think to yourself....the playing surface of a full size snooker table would provide ample parking space for that car! You may not get that perspective when you watch the professionals playing the game on a video screen, but it is true.

MiscueBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never played snooker but wanted to try for a while. And I have an English buddy who hasn't played in years but knows the game. We would probably play like complete beginners but maybe we'll try out that tourney.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acesinc1999

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never played snooker but wanted to try for a while. And I have an English buddy who hasn't played in years but knows the game. We would probably play like complete beginners but maybe we'll try out that tourney.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We are just a one table club so the tourney has to be limited to a maximum field of eight to keep the players reasonably rotating. It will just be an introductory tournament, small purse only, to try to familiarize new players. If you think you would like to try it, let me know in advance as there may not be spots for walk ins. PM or contact me through the website. If you are locals, consider membership. 'Twould be nice to get another Briton in the snooker club.