ATTN: Cue Makers. Cue Build Off starting for Charity

Lazerrus

I LUV CURLY MAPLE!!!!!
Gold Member
Silver Member
*******BUILD OFF IS NOW FULL! THANKS TO ALL BUILDERS & JUDGES WHO SIGNED UP*******

NOTE: ALSO POSTED IN THE ASK THE CUE MAKER SECTION

I am looking for 6 to 8 cue makers who would be willing to participate in a new cue build off. I have been contacted with interest in putting this together so after careful thought and design I have decided to get it started. I have outlined below the Cue Build Off for Charity. Please read through all details. I am looking for 6 to 8 participants. If you would like to participate please PM me and if enough builders show interest then it will be off and running. This is for a great cause and a lot of fun for the AZ community. Thank you in advance for all interest. I will post updates in this thread as to how many builders have signed on. But not who;)

Cue build off:

1. Plain Jane cue with one shaft no points or inlay work.
2. Woods of choice from BEM or Curly Maple or Cocoblo or any combination of the three.
3. Butt cap of choice.
4. Joint of choice.
5. Wrapped or wrapless. If wrapped then wrap of choice.
6. Pin of choice.
7. Bumper or bumperless.
8. Ferrule and tip of choice.
9. As close to 19oz as possible.
10. Cue must contain forearm, handle, butt sleeve, butt cap.
11. No Low Deflection shafts from another company.
12. No custom Joint Protectors.
13. Shaft taper of choice.
14. Ringwork is allowed at any or all joint positions on the cue and this is where each cue maker can ad their own imagination and personal touch. Any materials may be used for ring work.
15. No logos or signature to keep cues anonymous.

Grading scale of 1 to 5 stars:

Graded upon:

1. Feel of hit.
2. Cue ball action and deflection.
3. Balance and weight.
4. Appearance before inspection
5. Fit and Finish
6. Overall impression

The operation:

1. Cue build deadline is Jan 31 2011.
2. Cues will be collected by me and they will tour in a 10x10 hard shell case.
3. 10 to 12 selected respectable AZ members will be cast as judges and will be responsible for shipping fed ex to the next judge with tracking and insurance submitted to next judge and to myself.
4. 12 judgment forms will be submitted to be filled out and signed. Each form will be mailed to me standard mail for collection after each judgment so the next judge will not see how the cues have already been judged.
5. Each Judge will have a two week time frame once they receive the cues to examine and try and judge and then ship to next judge.
6. After all judges have completed their judging the cues will then return to me and winner will be announced with the photo posting of all judgment forms on AZ.
7. Cues will then be raffled together as a lot for charity in the AZ raffle section.
8. Winning Cue Maker gets to choose the charity of his choice for the funds to go to.
9. Receipt of funds (minus cost of shipping to raffle winner) delivered to chosen charity will be provided and posted on AZ.
10. I WILL NOT BE PARTICIPATING IN THE JUDGING.
11. All participating cue makers will be kept anonymous from the AZ community and fellow participants until after the build off is complete.
12. A video and photos of the cues will be posted on AZ at the beginning of the build off for all to see.
13. All participating cue makers will be AZ members.
14. All judges will be USA AZ members due to shipping.
15. I will be supplying the Case.

Last edited:

Lazerrus

I LUV CURLY MAPLE!!!!!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sounds like fun. How will you choose the AzB members for testing?

Good question. There a few that I have already chosen and will pm them to see if they are interested. These are long time members. If you would like to be a judge you must have at least 5 itrader with 0 negative itrader. Also like it says in the post a judge must be willing to accept the condition of the shipping fees to the next judge.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Good stuff Laz, altho I think asking for a Jan/11 deadline might be pushing it
a tad. A lot of makers are busy and with Christmas coming up, you might be excluding some that other wise would like to be included in this cue maker build off.

Lazerrus

I LUV CURLY MAPLE!!!!!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks. I understand and that is also partially why the cues are simplified and a builder has the choice of participating due to the time frame. They will participate if they think they can do it. I didn't want to drag this out over too long of a time period. It adds to the event and to the craftsmanship of the builder to pull off a simple cue in 3 months.

Lazerrus

I LUV CURLY MAPLE!!!!!
Gold Member
Silver Member
UPDATE! We have 6 builders confirmed so far. Thanks to all of them! Keep em coming want to get to 8

Last edited:

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good question. There a few that I have already chosen and will pm them to see if they are interested. These are long time members. If you would like to be a judge you must have at least 5 itrader with 0 negative itrader. Also like it says in the post a judge must be willing to accept the condition of the shipping fees to the next judge.

I'd love to be considered as a judge. I have all positive iTrader, I've been a member for over three years, and let's face it, I'm handsome damn it. :p

PM me with your answer, Lazerrus :)

Lazerrus

I LUV CURLY MAPLE!!!!!
Gold Member
Silver Member
UPDATE TO BUILDERS: I have been asked by a builder about the three woods listed if that is what the ring work has to be made of. The answer is No. The three woods are for the primary pieces. Forearm, handle if wrapless, and butt sleeve. The ringwork, joint, butt cap etc can be any material the builder chooses. Any combination of those three woods can be used. All the same or a mixture is up to the builder. The ringwork can be as fancy or as plain as he chooses.

Lazerrus

I LUV CURLY MAPLE!!!!!
Gold Member
Silver Member
7 Builders confirmed! Need 1 more. If any builder not already in wants to be an alternate let me know just in case some can't complete. Although that would mean as an alternate you may want to still build a cue just in case to be ready:grin-square:

SOULHASSORROW

MoreTROLLSonAZthanWarcrft
Silver Member
Hey Laz i'd love to be a judge, I've been a member for a couple months with plenty of transactions, I wouldn't mind paying the shipping charges as well!

Vyc

╭∩╮(︶︿&#650
Silver Member
Laz, I'd like to be considered to be a judge for this build-off (I missed the last one). I have a pool table in my basement, so I should be able to test the cues and ship them to the next judge pretty quickly. Shipping cost is no problem. Thanks in advance! -Vyc-

Lazerrus

I LUV CURLY MAPLE!!!!!
Gold Member
Silver Member
BUILD OFF IS NOW FULL. THANK YOU AND CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL PARTICIPATING BUILDERS. GOOD LUCK GENTLEMEN AND HAPPY BUILDING.

JUDGES. TO THOSE THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN SELECTED AND TO THOSE THAT WILL BE SELECTED YOUR PARTICIPATION IS APPRECIATED. PLEASE KEEP YOUR STATUS AS A JUDGE A SECRET TILL THE CUES ARE IN.

THANK YOU EVERYONE THIS SHOULD BE GREAT AND CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE BUILDS!:thumbup:

Lazerrus

I LUV CURLY MAPLE!!!!!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have seen a couple of under construction preliminary pics from a couple of the participating cue makers and all I can say is the judges are going to have a tough time on this one. A real nice group of different looking cue designs. :thumbup:

Lazerrus

I LUV CURLY MAPLE!!!!!
Gold Member
Silver Member
So we are now into December. Holidays upon us. January 31st will be here soon enough and the cues should be rolling in soon. Stay tuned for an update.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
and now we are at the cut-off date

as i said to you way back then, i honestly didnt think i could get the cue completed in time with the other work i had on my plate

i was right, not done

fyi> i was the 9th, the "alternate entry"

hope the original 8 guys got thiers done

thanks for asking me laz
sorry i couldnt come thru