Average cost of moving a table

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I live in bfe so market is low and set your price is what I'm thinking. I'll try anything once if it doesn't play well I'll have someone refelt it they are reasonable on setup and felting just the moving adds 90% of the quotes
What is bfe???

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regular digital and bubble levels are not even close to being accurate enough for a pool table. I also do chassis work and only use levels as a reference. You can lay out parallel bars according to your level but if you eyeball them may not even be close to parallel with each other. I will trust a laser beam and a ruler long before a standard level.
I've watched Glen do several tables with 23 or so machinists levels on them at the same time and he did a bang up job. I've also done tables for myself with a 4 ft carpenters level. I tested the result afterwards the same way Glen did, by rolling balls on the surface, that is the true test and the only thing that really matters in the end.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
After watching some videos there is absolutely no reason I don't think I couldn't do it myself. Even the leveling of the slates doesn't look hard. Only thing I don't have access too is sealer for the slates. That's what scared me the most was leveling and sealing.

Now I don't have a machinist level but I do have 6 foot digital and bubble levels. As well as 2 foot bubble and digital from doing chassis work on cars.

I'll still update with the 2 others quotes.
This thread has some good info in it. https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/houston-tx-or-texas-high-end-mechanic.547275/#post-7373974
With the money you are saving by doing it yourself, you can get a level and a torque wrench which you can use over and over.
One level is plenty, make up some cards with arrows on them so you can map the slates out.

Sleeperls

Grabbed 4 oz of beeswax. Hopefully it's enough if not rest will be here next week. Got a mercury ultra cloth on the way. Hopefully be up and going by next weekend

Sleeperls

Got it tore down. Move the rest Friday hopefully. Had bondo on it. So work on cleaning that off. What a pain in the but chipping the holes out. Rather crap job to imho hardly any in the actual seam.

Grabbed some wax and bondo. See what I decide. Got access to a machinist level so I'm good to go. Just waiting on felt after I get the rest of the table here

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got it tore down. Move the rest Friday hopefully. Had bondo on it. So work on cleaning that off. What a pain in the but chipping the holes out. Rather crap job to imho hardly any in the actual seam.

Grabbed some wax and bondo. See what I decide. Got access to a machinist level so I'm good to go. Just waiting on felt after I get the rest of the table here
Use the Bondo. Stuff small pieces of cardboard in the screw holes before you fill them. If the holes aren't going to be in the field of play, don't fill them. Beeswax was the choice 80 years ago, kinda like coal was the choice to heat your home. Bondo is superior in every way.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This stuff works better than bondo, or beeswax, imo.

durhams.jpg

Last edited:

Sleeperls

While I'm here I'm sure the pockets havnt been conditioned well prob never. Luxal spray foam 1 and 2 still the way to go?

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Beeswax is nice, because it doesn't require sanding a precision ground slate surface. It scrapes easily, without causing damage. And, when the table needs to be moved in the future, disassembly is a breeze. If set up correctly, with the slates bonded together, there should be no issues whatsoever with using beeswax.

I can only see using Bondo for permanent slate repairs, carom tables, tables which are in their "forever home", or tables which will be installed in non-climate controlled areas, where the temperature can exceed 100 degrees regularly.

Sleeperls

Ive gotta get all the old bondo off the slates. They did a messy job imho. Going to pick up the rest of the table today. Got some new carpet for the room. Should be gtg. Pneumatic staple gun. And new cloth will be here Tuesday. Borrowed the machinist level. Only thing I wish I had the money for since it's apart is new bumpers. But itll have to work. Ball still bounces 3 rails no issues.

Sleeperls

Got the table home and setup. Bonus is the
Guy thought it was a 7 foot table but it's 8 footer. Decided on using wax as I'm hoping to move table from garage into the main room in a year when my puppies get older. Still in the chew phase. Threw the old cloth on since I had ordered based on a 7 foot table. Put just a few staples in just so I could mess around.

It's nice to have a home table now. I cam actually get better and try things. Need to get a new cueball with dots as I can't always tell if the input I'm doing is working unless it's extremely.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got the table home and setup. Bonus is the
Guy thought it was a 7 foot table but it's 8 footer. Decided on using wax as I'm hoping to move table from garage into the main room in a year when my puppies get older. Still in the chew phase. Threw the old cloth on since I had ordered based on a 7 foot table. Put just a few staples in just so I could mess around.

It's nice to have a home table now. I cam actually get better and try things. Need to get a new cueball with dots as I can't always tell if the input I'm doing is working unless it's extremely.
A good measle cue ball tells a lot but it don't matter much if the cloth isn't stretch right.

Sleeperls

The cloth stretch deff isn't right. Just wanted to mess around for the week. Going to call seyberts in the morning and order 8 foot cloth and see about returning the 7 foot when it shows up.