Average number of games before a table should be recovered?

Smutzc

I know cleaning condition play a roll, but on average how many games can be played before you should have to change cloth? Btw we have fake simonis cloth. Lol

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know cleaning condition play a roll, but on average how many games can be played before you should have to change cloth? Btw we have fake simonis cloth. Lol
There is so no such a number. It all depends on the kind of play on the table. If it’s straight pool or one pocket, even at a pool room, the cloth can last for years. If it’s mainly 9-ball and 8-ball by strong players all the way to recreational players, with heavy play, it could be less than 6 months.

No one is going to bother figuring out how many games that is and it doesn’t matter - there is no stock answer. The look and play of the cloth will let you know when the cloth needs replacing.

Smutzc

There is so no such a number. It all depends on the kind of play on the table. If it’s straight pool or one pocket, even at a pool room, the cloth can last for years. If it’s mainly 9-ball and 8-ball by strong players all the way to recreational players, with heavy play, it could be less than 6 months.

No one is going to bother figuring out how many games that is and it doesn’t matter - there is no stock answer. The look and play of the cloth will let you know when the cloth needs replacing.
Thanks for the input, we mainly play 9 ball. The cloth has quite a bit of wear on it. Does a table play slower the older the cloth is ? The table is in a humidity controlled room. But I think it does play a little slower than it normally did. We probably play 150 games a week on the table per week. And we have had the cloth on about two years by now.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the input, we mainly play 9 ball. The cloth has quite a bit of wear on it. Does a table play slower the older the cloth is ? The table is in a humidity controlled room. But I think it does play a little slower than it normally did. We probably play 150 games a week on the table per week. And we have had the cloth on about two years by now.
If you can afford it, it’s time! At 15,000+ games of 9-ball, you’ve got your $’s worth!

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It also depends on the type of cloth installed. Simonis 860HR in a home environment should last at least 4-5 years if taken care of. Define "fake" Simonis.

Smutzc

It also depends on the type of cloth installed. Simonis 860HR in a home environment should last at least 4-5 years if taken care of. Define "fake" Simonis.
I posted a topic awhile ago wondering if I had real Simonis. My table didn’t pass the black light test. I had a guy out of Indianapolis named Randy come recover our table, supposedly he was the Gold Crown expert. We told him we wanted simonis and just assumed that was what he put on. But I can’t see the logo with a black light, so that’s why I said “fake” simonis

Geosnookery

I’ve had my Simonis covered table for 12 years. I play from a half hour to an hour 320 days a year.

Cloth is almost good as new. Dry, cool climate. Basement, so no direct sun light.

I break both ends. Move the rack around an inch or so. Never do jump shots or more than modest massés. No dropping balls on to the table or into the rack. No laying on the rails.

No drink or food anywhere near the table. I’m fastidious about keeping it clean.

I play on recently clothed tables now and then and don’t find they are any different than mine after a couple of weeks. My cloth should last another decade.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am coming up on 9 years on my cloth (Simonis 760). I have at least 10,000 rack on the table, but only about 100 break shots on the table. I, typically, just roll balls out and then shoot them; sometimes 14.1-like, others 8-ball-like, others, in rotation. The table has little burn spots when the CB was against the rail and I needed draw from a corner shot, some massé shots, the occasional jump shots, but no burn marks from head ball compression or bur lines from breaking from the same spot all the time.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any way you guys with 9-12 years of play on the same cloth can post pics? I'm curious. I play fairly frequently on my own table and after six months the cloth definitely looks used. It still plays great, and I'm very careful*, but I can't imagine it lasting 9+ years.

*By careful I mean no food or drinks anywhere near the table, ever. I do about one break shot per practice session. I do very limited jump shots. And nobody who would be the slightest bit sloppy or rough is allowed to play. The table probably sees 15 hours of play/week, half 14.1, half rotation games.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The old Grand Tour Rooms had a section reserved for 14.1 and one pocket....NO games where the break was hard.
I think personal tables should be treated the same way.

L.S. Dennis

I read Babe Cranfield say that cloth on a pool table plays fastest either when it’s very new or very worn. I think there is some truth to that. I remember playing a tournament once on a table with cloth so worn you could almost see the slate and it was by far the fastest cloth I ever played on. Playing on ice would have been slower it seemed!

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any way you guys with 9-12 years of play on the same cloth can post pics?
overall table and close up of one of the worse sections

Attachments

• cloth01.JPG
    cloth01.JPG
    422 KB · Views: 151
  • cloth02.JPG
    cloth02.JPG
    416.5 KB · Views: 153