AZBer's I met at the Dustoff.

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to the Desert Dustoff on Saturday and had the pleasure to meet a few AZBer's.

Jay Helfert
MexPoolPlyr - Oscar and his dad Ernesto.
BRKNRUN
BigCat - already knew him
Jimmy M. - already knew him too
SJD
CocoboloCowboy - but I am not quite sure - I think it was him.

I also talked to Fatboy on the phone. Jay called him and handed the phone to me. Fatboy was a super nice guy to talk to. He didn't know me from Adam yet took time out of his day to talk to me about pool and a few other things.

It was cool to meet fellow AZBer's. Some of them I already knew but didn't know thier screen name on here. All of them were very nice and shoot very well. Someday I will be able to play against them instead of just watching :)

BVal
 
BVal said:
I went to the Desert Dustoff on Saturday and had the pleasure to meet a few AZBer's.

Jay Helfert
MexPoolPlyr - Oscar and his dad Ernesto.
BRKNRUN
BigCat - already knew him
Jimmy M. - already knew him too
SJD
CocoboloCowboy - but I am not quite sure - I think it was him.

I also talked to Fatboy on the phone. Jay called him and handed the phone to me. Fatboy was a super nice guy to talk to. He didn't know me from Adam yet took time out of his day to talk to me about pool and a few other things.

I was looking at the tournment board, you came up beside me, and I said: "How you doing", and you disappeared. I was not wearing a hat, as it was too hot for one.

I think we will meet soon at Kolby's on a Sunday for an "8" and under.
flyingbrick.gif



It was cool to meet fellow AZBer's. Some of them I already knew but didn't know thier screen name on here. All of them were very nice and shoot very well. Someday I will be able to play against them instead of just watching :)

BVal

You said "Someday I will be able to play against them instead of just watching".

Someday will be soon if you follow the help from AZB people have offered you tips on focus.
drinkbeer.gif
 
Last edited:
I was bummed that I could not make it... we were busy packing/unpacking since we just got our house. - next time
 
I REALLY enjoyed my brief visit to Phoenix. Ron Merseal (the owner of Alexander's) was a wonderful host. You can tell how much he likes pool and respects the players. He set up everything for the tournament to make it good for the players.

Bull runs a great tournament! He knows what he is doing! I like to see a well directed event. It was no mean feat to run 91 players thru on seven tables in two and a half days (playing Ten Ball no less). And he made it look easy. I always say that when you do a good job directing a tournament, no one notices. When you screw up, EVERYONE notices!

I met many AZ'ers over there, as well I should. Phoenix is the home of AZ in case you didn't know. It's always nice to see Mike Howerton as well. Poor guy doesn't get out much, so busy working like a dog. Someone's got to do it though, and Mike got elected.

I enjoyed talking with all the AZ'ers. What a wonderful community of pool people Mike has put together. THANKS MIKE!

Oh and I also played in the tournament. Only two matches, but hey someone has to do that too. The field was strong with players from all over, even Canada. I played Nick Krueger first, a fine young Canadian player. He squeaked by 9-6 :D . On the loser's side I played a young man named Brady, a big good looking guy. He was solid and steady and got me 8-5. And a real gentleman as well.

I don't feel too bad though. I didn't play bad either match, considering I practiced about three hours total in preparation. I made a few good outs, and some tricky shots. I only missed a couple of balls all together. I felt like I had a chance in both matches, but the better player won both times. After 20 years directing and promoting tournaments, maybe it's time for me to start my second pool career. Some guys (the younger ones) are always surprised to see me play. They say things like "I didn't know you played pool Jay". Yes, I used to play a little. :)

A final salute to Chuck Bobbitt, the local pool aficionado who put up the $5,000 in Added Money. What a guy! And so much fun to talk too. And the little lady named Cathy who always had a smile for everyone, and took good care of me if I looked a little thirsty. She is that rare gal who can work at a busy bar, doing a million things and yet somehow have time for everyone. I appreciated that.

I look forward to going back in April for the 25K Added DESERT SHOOT OUT!
 
BVal said:
I went to the Desert Dustoff on Saturday and had the pleasure to meet a few AZBer's.

Jay Helfert
MexPoolPlyr - Oscar and his dad Ernesto.
BRKNRUN
BigCat - already knew him
Jimmy M. - already knew him too
SJD
CocoboloCowboy - but I am not quite sure - I think it was him.

I also talked to Fatboy on the phone. Jay called him and handed the phone to me. Fatboy was a super nice guy to talk to. He didn't know me from Adam yet took time out of his day to talk to me about pool and a few other things.

It was cool to meet fellow AZBer's. Some of them I already knew but didn't know thier screen name on here. All of them were very nice and shoot very well. Someday I will be able to play against them instead of just watching :)

BVal


it was great to speak to you, pleasure was all mine, please find me when your in Vegas or LA, I think i'm gonna be here in Vegas alot this spring. I will be in Az when the big tournment is gonna happen in April-we made the arrangements last night with Chuck-he is a great guy.
 
CocoboloCowboy said:
I was looking at the tournment board, you came up beside me, and I said: "How you doing", and you disappeared. I was not wearing a hat, as it was too hot for one.

I think we will meet soon at Kolby's on a Sunday for an "8" and under.
flyingbrick.gif





You said "Someday I will be able to play against them instead of just watching".

Someday will be soon if you follow the help from AZB people have offered you tips on focus.
drinkbeer.gif
Coco - I thought that was you but I wasn't sure. I was there from about 11:30 till about 4pm.

Jay - It was great to meet you and hear your stories. I really enjoyed talking to you. I wish I could have stayed longer but life got in the way :) like always.

Fatboy - I look forward to meeting you in April. I am glad you are making the trip out to Phx.

Carlos - that sucks you couldn't make it but congratulations on your new house man!

BVal
 
jay helfert said:
I REALLY enjoyed my brief visit to Phoenix. Ron Merseal (the owner of Alexander's) was a wonderful host. You can tell how much he likes pool and respects the players. He set up everything for the tournament to make it good for the players.

Bull runs a great tournament! He knows what he is doing! I like to see a well directed event. It was no mean feat to run 91 players thru on seven tables in two and a half days (playing Ten Ball no less). And he made it look easy. I always say that when you do a good job directing a tournament, no one notices. When you screw up, EVERYONE notices!

I met many AZ'ers over there, as well I should. Phoenix is the home of AZ in case you didn't know. It's always nice to see Mike Howerton as well. Poor guy doesn't get out much, so busy working like a dog. Someone's got to do it though, and Mike got elected.

I enjoyed talking with all the AZ'ers. What a wonderful community of pool people Mike has put together. THANKS MIKE!

Oh and I also played in the tournament. Only two matches, but hey someone has to do that too. The field was strong with players from all over, even Canada. I played Nick Krueger first, a fine young Canadian player. He squeaked by 9-6 :D . On the loser's side I played a young man named Brady, a big good looking guy. He was solid and steady and got me 8-5. And a real gentleman as well.

I don't feel too bad though. I didn't play bad either match, considering I practiced about three hours total in preparation. I made a few good outs, and some tricky shots. I only missed a couple of balls all together. I felt like I had a chance in both matches, but the better player won both times. After 20 years directing and promoting tournaments, maybe it's time for me to start my second pool career. Some guys (the younger ones) are always surprised to see me play. They say things like "I didn't know you played pool Jay". Yes, I used to play a little. :)

A final salute to Chuck Bobbitt, the local pool aficionado who put up the $5,000 in Added Money. What a guy! And so much fun to talk too. And the little lady named Cathy who always had a smile for everyone, and took good care of me if I looked a little thirsty. She is that rare gal who can work at a busy bar, doing a million things and yet somehow have time for everyone. I appreciated that.

I look forward to going back in April for the 25K Added DESERT SHOOT OUT!

Hey Jay,

It was a pleasure meeting you (even thought I think you already knew me from the Swanee) and talking with you briefly. I've actually seen you at a few tournaments in CA, but have never had the opportunity to introduce myself before due to timing.

Again, I apologize for interrupting your game Friday night against Nick, but I didn't want there to be an issue with scorekeeping. Normally, I would never say anything to players that are in a match. But I did enjoy watching you and Nick Krueger play. He is a tough draw, but then again so are you. You both played well and it was obvious after watching you that you still have a lot of speed. Go figure, Jay Helfert is a good pool player ;)

I will be playing in the April tournament, so hopefully we can talk more then. BTW, do you have some more info on this Memorial Day weekend tournament at Hollywood Billiards?

Ray
 
Last edited:
BVal said:
I went to the Desert Dustoff on Saturday and had the pleasure to meet a few AZBer's.

Jay Helfert
MexPoolPlyr - Oscar and his dad Ernesto.
BRKNRUN
BigCat - already knew him
Jimmy M. - already knew him too
SJD
CocoboloCowboy - but I am not quite sure - I think it was him.

I also talked to Fatboy on the phone. Jay called him and handed the phone to me. Fatboy was a super nice guy to talk to. He didn't know me from Adam yet took time out of his day to talk to me about pool and a few other things.

It was cool to meet fellow AZBer's. Some of them I already knew but didn't know thier screen name on here. All of them were very nice and shoot very well. Someday I will be able to play against them instead of just watching :)

BVal

Brady,

Hopefully, next year you will play. I'd like to see you get in there and mix it up. I think it will be a good experience for you... and you never know, you just might upset a few players in the mix.

One of the best ways to improve your game is to play against better players...... I'm sure many pool players on here can attest to that.

Ray
 
BigCat said:
Brady,

Hopefully, next year you will play. I'd like to see you get in there and mix it up. I think it will be a good experience for you... and you never know, you just might upset a few players in the mix.

One of the best ways to improve your game is to play against better players...... I'm sure many pool players on here can attest to that.

Ray
I would have loved to have played - I just couldn't afford it this month. The All-around tourney's are more affordable for me and also great experience. I am planning on playing in the Dustoff next year. That is for sure. Maybe I can be next years Tyson :D:D:D

BVal
 
BVal said:
I would have loved to have played - I just couldn't afford it this month. The All-around tourney's are more affordable for me and also great experience. I am planning on playing in the Dustoff next year. That is for sure. Maybe I can be next years Tyson :D:D:D

BVal

There is no doubt in my mind that once you manage to go a couple rounds in these bigger tounaments... you will be in the money very soon after.

Do you know if Alexanders is planning on doing another big 8 and under tourny?

-Back2good1
 
I would think so.

back2good1 said:
There is no doubt in my mind that once you manage to go a couple rounds in these bigger tounaments... you will be in the money very soon after.

Do you know if Alexanders is planning on doing another big 8 and under tourny?
-Back2good1

The last two have been very popular so I expect another one soon.

I have played in some of the bigger tourneys around town and I have yet to win a match yet :) I am close though. I can feel it. Just like I guessed this girl's name at the pool hall one night (having never met her in my life). Freaked everyone out a little bit - including myself.

BVal
 
back2good1 said:
There is no doubt in my mind that once you manage to go a couple rounds in these bigger tounaments... you will be in the money very soon after.

Do you know if Alexanders is planning on doing another big 8 and under tourny?

-Back2good1

It just so happens..........
Alexander's 7 & Under March 1st and March 2nd
Alexander's 8 & Under March 8th and March 9th
Both $500 Added with (32)
Winner of 7 & Under plays winner of 8 & Under on March 9th when the 8 & Under ends. The two winners play for a $200.00 Bonus!!!Jan. 8 & Under drew 56 players
Feb 8 & Under drew 51 players
 
jay helfert said:
I REALLY enjoyed my brief visit to Phoenix. Ron Merseal (the owner of Alexander's) was a wonderful host. You can tell how much he likes pool and respects the players. He set up everything for the tournament to make it good for the players.

Bull runs a great tournament! He knows what he is doing! I like to see a well directed event. It was no mean feat to run 91 players thru on seven tables in two and a half days (playing Ten Ball no less). And he made it look easy. I always say that when you do a good job directing a tournament, no one notices. When you screw up, EVERYONE notices!

I met many AZ'ers over there, as well I should. Phoenix is the home of AZ in case you didn't know. It's always nice to see Mike Howerton as well. Poor guy doesn't get out much, so busy working like a dog. Someone's got to do it though, and Mike got elected.

I enjoyed talking with all the AZ'ers. What a wonderful community of pool people Mike has put together. THANKS MIKE!

Oh and I also played in the tournament. Only two matches, but hey someone has to do that too. The field was strong with players from all over, even Canada. I played Nick Krueger first, a fine young Canadian player. He squeaked by 9-6 :D . On the loser's side I played a young man named Brady, a big good looking guy. He was solid and steady and got me 8-5. And a real gentleman as well.

I don't feel too bad though. I didn't play bad either match, considering I practiced about three hours total in preparation. I made a few good outs, and some tricky shots. I only missed a couple of balls all together. I felt like I had a chance in both matches, but the better player won both times. After 20 years directing and promoting tournaments, maybe it's time for me to start my second pool career. Some guys (the younger ones) are always surprised to see me play. They say things like "I didn't know you played pool Jay". Yes, I used to play a little. :)

A final salute to Chuck Bobbitt, the local pool aficionado who put up the $5,000 in Added Money. What a guy! And so much fun to talk too. And the little lady named Cathy who always had a smile for everyone, and took good care of me if I looked a little thirsty. She is that rare gal who can work at a busy bar, doing a million things and yet somehow have time for everyone. I appreciated that.

I look forward to going back in April for the 25K Added DESERT SHOOT OUT!

I want to thank all the players who made their way to this years Dust-Off and all the kind words regarding this years event. We really do think we run the biggest and best tournaments in Arizona and the feedback we get backs that statement. Special thanks to all of the out of staters who had to motel or hotel it while they were here. That's not cheap and shows how much you appreciate a good tournament. When you all come back for the shoot-out in April, stop by Alexanders to say hello!

Ron Merseal (Alexander's Sports Bar)
 
Scooper said:
It just so happens..........
Alexander's 7 & Under March 1st and March 2nd
Alexander's 8 & Under March 8th and March 9th
Both $500 Added with (32)
Winner of 7 & Under plays winner of 8 & Under on March 9th when the 8 & Under ends. The two winners play for a $200.00 Bonus!!!Jan. 8 & Under drew 56 players
Feb 8 & Under drew 51 players
Thanks for the heads up i will be there playing for sure. :)
 
Back
Top