Back to Pyro vs. V10?

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Hear me out, anyone else feel like V10 can get caky? The coverage is great at first but then the next day I have to wipe it off, and start with new coats? The pyro can do the same but not as bad both seem to attract moisture from the air, and my house is extremely dry. I love the coverage of v10 don't get me wrong and especially on my white diamond jump break tip, But I feel like pyro has a little more gritty and I'm grabbing the cue ball a little better? Both chalks are great and are extremely clean. Either way I was just curious on others feedback.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Maybe I have OCD but I never put a Shaft with Chalk back in Cue Case.

Solution 1 - Spin Tip on rug to clean off chalk. 🙃

Solution 2 - Spin Tip on clean rag, Kleenex to remove chalk.

Simple n effective.♥️♥️♥️

No problems in dry climate most of year.

Last edited:

Nyquil

Hear me out, anyone else feel like V10 can get caky? The coverage is great at first but then the next day I have to wipe it off, and start with new coats? The pyro can do the same but not as bad both seem to attract moisture from the air, and my house is extremely dry. I love the coverage of v10 don't get me wrong and especially on my white diamond jump break tip, But I feel like pyro has a little more gritty and I'm grabbing the cue ball a little better? Both chalks are great and are extremely clean. Either way I was just curious on others feedback.
I don't seem have this issue with mine. Maybe a climate difference. My concern with the chalk being pretty soft was how long it would last. It doesn't even look I have put a dent in it. Been getting back to playing nightly again. It's gonna last my a year I bet. I am noticing some green spots on my cloth after some deep screw shots not the easiest to get off but it's working great for me. Vacuuming is now once every two to three weeks vs every few days. My cloth doesn't feel gritty anymore at all. I have some pyro but I don't like how it can chunk off in pieces off your tip when it makes contact with cue ball. I would prefer the V10 to be blue but no big deal there since its so clean.

Kentucky Rack Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I have experienced same issue as OP. Both are much better and cleaner on the cloth but I have experienced some additional tip work since my trial run with v10.

mrpiper

Registered
I see the Pyro also cake a bit and occasionally see a spot of it on the cue ball. It comes off easily, and I agree it's less messy on the table, but I'm not a fan of a $20.00 piece of chalk. When it's used up (in a few years :) ) will not buy more.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well bottom line is for me Cleaner, Better Draw, Better Spin, Cylinder looks unused, maybe in 90 Days I can report more.

Bought a Kerr Korr type pouch to keep track of Cylinder, it too is learning curve to use.

Chalk Vault Ala- pocket. 🙃

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used Pyro for a year of so before V10. And while I think Pyro is a fine chalk, V10 is better in every way. I have had no issues like you described. I do, however, wipe my tip of chalk before returning it to the case.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Chalk ADD.. Back to V10 in less than 24 hours lol, Pyros great but started getting some miscues on far off center hits compared to V10. I do prefer the blue color of Pyro but that's not a big deal. If they come out with V10 Blue id be on it like flies on sh**

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I play on Blue Cloth, but see no Green on cloth.

Think V-10 is real deal super chalk, I have been using 3 week or so.

Cylinder look like day I got it. My guess is the Chalk is super fine. I say self this Cylinder could last a year.

Miscues almost zero, when I have miscued I blame me.

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
I have been using the V10 for about a month and will never use anything else at home. Chalk still appears unused, I can shoot a whole rack of 14.1 on one application. Cloth is super clean, balls have zero marks, this stuff is great. I do have to put it up on a shelf when I am done, or the cat will knock it off the table and it will go under the couch!

-dj

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I have been using the V10 for about a month and will never use anything else at home. Chalk still appears unused, I can shoot a whole rack of 14.1 on one application. Cloth is super clean, balls have zero marks, this stuff is great. I do have to put it up on a shelf when I am done, or the cat will knock it off the table and it will go under the couch!

-dj

Think you need teach puddly kat to fetch for a treat.

Grimper

I was a V10 lover, but I've just recently switched back to Roku. I missed having a little "grainy-ness" in the Taom. Taom however is still the cleanest chalk on the planet.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too start, years and years ago I started wiping the chalk off of my tips after play. I keep my cue in a nice case and if I didn't do that the chalk would go into the case and start accumulating on my ferrules and discoloring them . The cakey coverage of the V10 is something that I'm liking more as I continue to use it. I'm having less miscues that ever since because of the product, but along with that I have noticed that I don't have to scuff my tips as much or reshape them. After play I wipe the chalk off and there seems to be a smooth and shiny finish left behind on the tip , like the shiny finish of some tips before they are installed. Even with this finish being smooth and not rough, there are less miscues, I don't know why, but there it is. I'm using the new Kamikaze Platinum Tips in the medium hardness. I tried the Kamui tips back years ago and swore never to put one on any cue again, even though I still had a few in the cupboard . When they glazed over it just pissed me off that the money paid for those tips was wasted. I'm going to try one on a nice old Meucci cue I have and see how the Kamui tips work and if the glazing problem might just be cured by using this new chalk . After having a couple of hours sessions at home now, there isn't any evidence that I have even been around a table, My hands are clean and the table cleans up in seconds with the X1 , which I like along with being able to move the cue ball as before , which is the most important thing .

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
The coverage is great at first but then the next day I have to wipe it off, and start with new coats?
The first chalk of the day you cant "paint it." Grind the edge of the chalk over the old chalk, that will really get it roughed up, then after that you can just use the chalk normally. Same as with many chalks, they just get beat into the end of the tip until they cant anymore.

Also, If I don't want to do that, just a tiny scuff with a gator grip will help. Not enough scuff to even touch the leather, but just enough to make the chalk stuck to the tip get powdery/puffy. I think the chalk somehow hardens to the tip. Might be something to do with why it sticks so good, and lasts so long, IDK. Work the old chalk a bit and the new chalk sticks great. I'm guessing as we play, the chalk grains get beat into the leather and compact until there's nowhere to go. Breaking them up lets the grains do their thing.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
The one thing I'm taking away from all these V10/Taom threads is that many on this board either have bad strokes, or play too closely to the miscue limit of the CB....lol

Why so many miscues...?

Not once in my playing life have I ever thought of changing chalks as a means to fix miscues.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I watch people apply Chalk, many only apply Chalk to Top, or High Point on Cue Tip.

Then they MISCUE, trying to apply English, or spin with PART OF TIP THAT IS CHALKLESS.😗

baalpeteor

Hear me out, anyone else feel like V10 can get caky? The coverage is great at first but then the next day I have to wipe it off, and start with new coats?
I never thought about using the same chalk on the cue tip from the day before the next day. Maybe because every day after I play, I thoroughly clean all cues using a Q-Wiz (maple) and proper cleaning cloths (Carbon Fiber), shape all the tips with a Willards or worse, and burnish them with a $2 bill. Once or twice a week I also use cue silk to keep the maple shafts slick like new. Keeps consistency the same, expecially when we talk about the cue tip.

But if the chalk is too expensive and you want to get the most out of it, hence why you leave it on for the next day, may I suggest Master's? I use Master's black for my black CF playing cue which also has a black tip (& for my white TAOM-tipped CF breaker & black-tipped phenolic maple Breaker), and Russian for my maple playing cue. I am adding TAOM V10 next week, but also have Predator chalk I found I never used.

Last edited:

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I think the main issue is that the Taom is not as abrasive. Masters and other abrasive chalks do a good job of grinding a tiny bit of your tip away each time you use it. I actually need to scuff my tip once in a while when I use the Taom.