Bad home table

Those tables would be like old home week to me. I guess somebody was a hell of a salesman during or right after WWII because everything in my home area that had a sign in front of it had a pool table.

Wooden floors with no subfloor. The gaps between the floor boards were big enough to sweep the cigarette butts through.

The funniest thing was that the leveling device of choice was the pasteboard beer coasters. What was funny is that they was often an inch or more of coasters under all four legs!

None of these tables had ever had the cloth changed.

Hu
Memories!!!😉
 
I never went to bars because of the food. If they had food, it wasn't very often I'd indulge. There was a bar/club we'd go to after 2 a.m. and they sold barbecue burgers. At that time of the night, I couldn't tell you if they were actually good, or the alcohol had us thinking they were.
My game suffers if I eat while playing. Anybody else have that issue??
 
I had no kitchen at my last poolroom. Had to make due with a small pizza oven, nacho cheese machine and a microwave.

I bought the best quality frozen TV dinners and sold them to my customers. Offered a nice variety and gave them free chips with any meal. I sold these dinners for a small profit only. I learned early on a well fed customer would stay longer and spend more.
Heck Jay, that's the crap most of us eat all the time anyway!!!😂
 
The vast majority of home tables(chinese imports) are there just for looks. They get used more for storage than for pool.
Folding laundry was the use for some home tables after the kids were grown. 🤷‍♂️
I have revived a couple of free tables found in the little nickel for sale paper. One was in the garage and looked like a car engine had been rebuilt on it. Oh yeah that's now my home table and plays beautifully. Well new rubber and recycled cloth have me in it around a hundred.
There has been a variety of neglected tables in my history. Home table advantage often arose. A favorite table had loose rubber where the racking person often grabbed the rail while retrieving the balls. The loose rubber made the rebounding balls do just the opposite of what the balls spin would normally cause. Kinda like a bouncing super ball.
I played on some with slate peaking through the tattered cloth. Shrug. Sometimes the balls had such big divits that the balls could be stacked atop each other. Those were often the places that provided the easy money games.
 
Perspective I guess....

I remember being in grade school summer vacation had the school cafeteria turn into a summer rec center and it had a pool table that literally was just the top and set on top of the cafeteria table....they wedged books under one side to get it somewhat level...there were only a couple cues that had any kind of tip left on it...kids lined up 10-15 deep for the "I got next" line.......nobody could run three balls except one kid that brought his dads Budweiser cue with a fancy screw on tip in this fancy red flat single cue case with the velcro flap closer......he could run 4 balls and we thought he was a pool playing god.............bridge, shape, safe, english...........those were school words.........not pool words.

It was always the most popular part of the rec center.
 
Back
Top