Bad racks, part of the game??

I rack balls

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have come to the conclusion that sometimes it is necessary to give bad racks. I practice a lot on my own and have become VERY efficient at racking the balls, sardo ain't got .... on me. It is not uncommon to see me spending 3-4 minutes trying to get a rack tight for the OTHER PLAYER. But in tournaments, especially when winner breaks, when the table plays well with arguably large pockets I can't help but think about giving a less than perfect rack. In a past tournament I was playing great and after I broke and ran 2 in a row I got 2 clearly crappy racks. I ended up losing because of the racks they gave me, I gave them good racks despite them running me out. I have always figured that the karma would catch up to them but the ass holes always end up winning. I am going to ask from now on every time I play to rack my own balls. What do you guys think.......? Who here gives perfect racks everytime??????? I understand that a lot of people just are ignorant on the subject but when I am playing a guy that has been a serious player for 30+ years, come on.

Eric.A.
 
If its for money I always ALWAYS check the rack.If i see a gap Ill ask for a re-rack...if I still see a gap Ill rack it myself.If my oponet has a problem with me racking my own Ill take it to the TD...if gambling and they protest Ill take a walk before breaking a lose rack.
 
Always check the rack, if you don't like it, make them rerack. If they don't like it, tough. I always give the best rack I can, under the circumstances. I'm NOT a weasel.
 
i always give a good rack,i wouldnt like to walk away the winner after CHEATING and giving a guy a bad rack...but on the other hand if he does it to me on purpose then im gonna give you a shitty rack.
 
poolplayer2093 said:
i always prefer to play a set as rack your own. it just makes more sence

I agree entirely. If we're not racking our own, you can be certain that I'll be checking the rack each and every time unless I'm in a game where I'm just totally stealing.
 
Lets be honest here... Most (95%) of tables around any state are crap, while its your option to insist on rerack after rerack you'll never get one how its actually supposed to be, make sure the three head balls are frozen and move on. Thinking someone racked you out of a game or a set may be a bigger more pressing issue in your game.
 
Another vote for "rack your own". It should be the standard way to play competitive pool, in my opinion, unless there is a neutral 3rd party racker.
 
TxOnePocket said:
Lets be honest here... Most (95%) of tables around any state are crap, while its your option to insist on rerack after rerack you'll never get one how its actually supposed to be, make sure the three head balls are frozen and move on. Thinking someone racked you out of a game or a set may be a bigger more pressing issue in your game.


Well said, took the words right out of my mouth.
 
TxOnePocket said:
Lets be honest here... Most (95%) of tables around any state are crap, while its your option to insist on rerack after rerack you'll never get one how its actually supposed to be, make sure the three head balls are frozen and move on. Thinking someone racked you out of a game or a set may be a bigger more pressing issue in your game.

I think that most reasonable people are prepared to be understanding when the table is not racking well. The problem comes in when you are pushing them up tight for your opponent and you are constantly being hit with slug racks.

BTW, I don't need for my racks to be Sardo-perfect. If the head ball is frozen to the balls behind it, the rack isn't tilted and the wing balls haven't been spread, I'm perfectly satisfied.
 
Twice in the last few months I've made the eight ball on the break in successive games. So, now, I've got a reputation. Everybody wants to give me a mud pie. I find that easing up to the foot of the table while my opponent's racking gives him incentive to rack better. :)
 
Personally, most of the time I feel like i'm giving the best possibel racks on the equipment I play on. At the pool hall where I play the table are really hard to rack on for some reason. I hate when people complain about the racks on these tables or expect the perfect rack everytime. Oh I also hate the excuse when the balls spread nice and they fail to make a ball on the break or they scratch then they say aftewards you racked them loose. So I just assume they are just weak minded players. I seldom care or say anything when I get a bad rack I just figure it give me a better advantage anyway just give me more options and a better chance to win due to my abilitiy.
 
:rolleyes: Boy Id like to have a good rack once a month, everyone I play does everything but give a solid rack, Rack your own? dont think so. Id make the 9 on the break every time, the best solution is to have a third party rack if there is serious money envolved.

Buy a good Rack, alot of times the racks used at the halls are less than perfect, there is no replacement for a qality ball rack. I bring my own if there is money envolved. you should as well.


SPINDOKTOR
 
I rack balls said:
I have come to the conclusion that sometimes it is necessary to give bad racks. I practice a lot on my own and have become VERY efficient at racking the balls, sardo ain't got .... on me. It is not uncommon to see me spending 3-4 minutes trying to get a rack tight for the OTHER PLAYER. But in tournaments, especially when winner breaks, when the table plays well with arguably large pockets I can't help but think about giving a less than perfect rack. In a past tournament I was playing great and after I broke and ran 2 in a row I got 2 clearly crappy racks. I ended up losing because of the racks they gave me, I gave them good racks despite them running me out. I have always figured that the karma would catch up to them but the ass holes always end up winning. I am going to ask from now on every time I play to rack my own balls. What do you guys think.......? Who here gives perfect racks everytime??????? I understand that a lot of people just are ignorant on the subject but when I am playing a guy that has been a serious player for 30+ years, come on.

Eric.A.
I have probably given several bad racks in tournaments, but by accident. I would never give a bad rack on purpose.

There have been (2) incidents where I felt that something rolled that I did not notice (in tournaments), and they broke like "slug" racks. In both instances, I offered to rerack and not count the break, which they both agreed to.

In both instances they broke and ran the next rack...LOL.

However, I will still offer that if I think it was my fault versus just a bad break.
 
SPINDOKTOR said:
Rack your own? dont think so. Id make the 9 on the break every time,

Well, I don't think you really mean you'd do that, but yes, some people would mysteriously be making a lot more 9's. However, the opponent can still check the rack in "rack your own".

The way I look at it, there are only two balls that I would complain about in rack your own, ie, the two balls behind the 9. In "rack for each other", it seems that there are a lot more balls to be concerned with. In other words, it's easier to get your opponent to give himself a tight 9-ball than it is to get him to give you a tight rack. Just my opinion; I could be wrong.
 
Re-rack in rack your own

You want to talk about frustrating! I played an opponent who was way over the top in checking my racks (for my break) and was not going to be satisfied with how the balls in the back were freezing. I had to re-rack at least twice per game when I would have given that rack to anyone or accepted it from anyone.
 
minnow said:
You want to talk about frustrating! I played an opponent who was way over the top in checking my racks (for my break) and was not going to be satisfied with how the balls in the back were freezing. I had to re-rack at least twice per game when I would have given that rack to anyone or accepted it from anyone.
Yeah, I have had that problem too, only with winner breaks. It is sharking and pissed me off big time. I actually strained my back while re-racking so many times that I had difficulty finishing the tournament. Next time, I am going to tell him to rack his own because I am done.

You aren't from MN are you? LOL.
 
TxOnePocket said:
Thinking someone racked you out of a game or a set may be a bigger more pressing issue in your game.

Bla bla bla. Making a ball on the break is all 8 and 9 ball are about. Bad racks = dry breaks = me sitting my ass down = me losing games/sets. ESPECIALLY when I turn around and give them impeccable racks in which they pocket a ball nearly every break. I have yet to play on a table I can not get a great rack on. (Hah I am in a real moody mood, damn research paper.)

Also does having the head ball not frozen increase your chances of scratching? I have noticed that this might be true.
 
just out of curiosity how many times do you have to re-rack the balls (when your opponent is breaking not for yourself) for you to be satisfied with the rack?
 
Back
Top