Banging balls while searching for the secrets of the universe

heyjoe

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some of you may not have seen my feature on Scottish player and nuclear physicist Jonni Fulcher that is posted on the AZ front page, so here's the link. Jonni's playing now trying to get into the round of 64. I'm here at the venue in Manila now where the air condition is ice cold but the action and drama are hotting up big time. Enjoy the read...

http://www.azbilliards.com/heyjoe/heyjoe7.php

tom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jonni is one of the most friendly and funny guys on the tour, I've known him for three-four years but I didn't know he's got such an important job...

heyjoe

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dr. Jonni Fulcher rides into the final 32!

Dr. Jonni Fulcher just squeaked by Kenny Kwok of Hong Kong to move into the final 32 here in Manila. The match lasted over 3 hours. Fulcher was down 8-7 and got super lucky when Kwok missed an easy 7 ball. then in the next rack, Fulcher broke dry and left an open table, but Kwok choked again on the five ball. Jonni cleaned it up and let out a big shout when the final ten ball dropped.

He's getting a bit of a following here. not only is he one of the nicest and funniest guys in the tournament, but the word is out that he's a leading scientist in his other life. His only problem is that the Collider project in Geneva is going mental at the moment so his colleagues are going to be looking for him. Don't tell them!

By the way, Dr. Jonni plays Nick Van denberg tomorrow in the round of 32

Here's the link to the feature I wrote about him the other day. I must look like a prophet about now...

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
Dr. Jonni Fulcher just squeaked by Kenny Kwok of Hong Kong to move into the final 32 here in Manila. The match lasted over 3 hours. Fulcher was down 8-7 and got super lucky when Kwok missed an easy 7 ball. then in the next rack, Fulcher broke dry and left an open table, but Kwok choked again on the five ball. Jonni cleaned it up and let out a big shout when the final ten ball dropped.

He's getting a bit of a following here. not only is he one of the nicest and funniest guys in the tournament, but the word is out that he's a leading scientist in his other life. His only problem is that the Collider project in Geneva is going mental at the moment so his colleagues are going to be looking for him. Don't tell them!

By the way, Dr. Jonni plays Nick Van denberg tomorrow in the round of 32

Here's the link to the feature I wrote about him the other day. I must look like a prophet about now...

Does he have a pool nickname he goes by?

I have a suggestion; Jonni "Nuke 'Em" Fulcher

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Constructive scientists don't like tags related to weapons of mass destruction

Does he have a pool nickname he goes by?

I have a suggestion; Jonni "Nuke 'Em" Fulcher

crosseyedjoe:

Good suggestion, for a pool nickname that the average lay person might understand the meaning of. However, any physicist in Jonni's line of work -- and Jonni himself would tell you this -- would take great offense to this moniker, for "nuke 'em" implies destruction by nuclear bomb. The Large Hadron Collider (LHC -- the largest super collider in the world) resembles a nuclear bomb (fission or fusion) in no way/shape/form. Developed entirely for the purposes of constructive science, it is used to explore the properties of matter and gravity, how time and space work, and the origins of the universe itself. It smashes sub-atomic particles together at extremely high speed (near the speed of light), in very small volumes, unlike a nuclear bomb.

Perhaps a better moniker might be Jonni "Super Collider" Fulcher, or something along the lines of a collision from something that one will not survive, e.g. a train. Jonni "Freight Train" Fulcher has a nice ring to it!

Hope this is helpful,
-Sean

P.S.: yes, I have a scientific background, and have many Ph.D. friends.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of you may not have seen my feature on Scottish player and nuclear physicist Jonni Fulcher that is posted on the AZ front page, so here's the link. Jonni's playing now trying to get into the round of 64. I'm here at the venue in Manila now where the air condition is ice cold but the action and drama are hotting up big time. Enjoy the read...

That was a great read. It's nice to know someone as learned as Jonni can compete against the world's greatest.

If you can get this guy to post here on the forums, that would be great!

BTW, I like Jonni "Fission" Fulcher.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
On a similar train of thought, Myron Rolle out of Florida, football player, Rhodes Scholar/Harvard, scipped the NFL draft for medical school, he's quite a man also, putting together a medical clinic for his alma, Exuma Bahamas.

heyjoe

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How about "Collider Man"

Super Collider is pretty good. I wanted to brand him "Collider Man." Somebody at the tournament was suggesting it should just be "Dr. Jonni," which is frankly pretty lame. Time will tell which one sticks.

I was hanging with Jonni after Mika won. After partying with Mika at the Heckle and Jekle bar in Makati, I met up with Jonni at One Side in Malate. We sucked down a few cold San Miguels then headed over to L.A. Cafe down the street. He was taking an 11am flight back to Geneva so we just stayed up all night playing pool and drinking at L.A. Cafe, which as usual was heaving with humanity until well past dawn.

Jonni had already checked out of his hotel and had all his belongings with him when I saw him at One Side. He carries a large back pack and he stuffed his cue case inside the back pack. With his life on his back, t-shirt, shorts, and goatee,he looked like a typical traveling backpacker traveling around Asia.

Besides being a super nice guy, Jonni is one helluva pool player. He also speaks like six languages fluently. He became a bit of a folk hero over in Manila during the tournament. After my article came out, two of the big newspapers did stories on him. When he lost in the round of 32, one of the newspapers wrote, "Nuclear physicist Jonni Fulcher couldn't find the right formula vs. Nick Van Denberg..." That is so cheesy, it's actually quite funny.

enlightphoto

Like Zen; until I miss...
Silver Member
Good on him and a great read. Thank for sharing.

An armchair fan of physics myself, I think his nickname should be Jonni "Impact" Fulcher. Afterall, that what the LHC is all about, smashing things together and seeing what kind of stuff ricochets out of the impact.

Cheers,