Bankers --- Spaeth or Bugs?

Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow this thread is 18 yr old...

Anyway who are the bank pool players currently now? Will they beat bugs or gary in their prime?

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
I'm not Larry

But I hung in Mergards in th '60s - it was the one story place, part of a bowling alley - one of 4 or 5 Mergards establishments in the Cincy area,
they had 10(?) National 9 footers with ball returns,
very rare in those days

the second story room was 3 doors past Gilbert right at Peebles Corner,
also part of a bowling alley - they had one of the 2 or 3 Billiard tables
in public rooms in town - think the name was Schmidts(?)

Dale
A.E Schmidt 3C tables from ST. Louis. The weren't bad.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Nobody would play in Chicago

For at least 25 yrs no one came to Chicago and played Bugs 1pkt or banks even. The only exception was Gary Speith, who played Bugs a couple of sets at the Billiard Cafe after he won the Chicago Bumps bank tournament. (Bugs was in jail and did not play in the tourney) Gary won the first set, was deluged with bets, tripled up and lost the second and final set. The only other even action Bugs got around Chicago in those days was Artie Bodendorfer and myself. I would periodically take some cheap shots at Bugs for 30 or 40 a game, even. Mostly Artie would get 9 to 8, but once in awhile they would play 1pkt even. If anyone would have come to Chicago to play Bugs either game, they could have won an uncountable amount of money. There were two more exceptions that I had forgotten about. Efren beat Bugs for 30k when Bugs was a little past his prime, and Allen Hopkins beat Bugs at a time when his diabetes was just beginning to run rampant. A younger, healthy Bugs might have reversed either of those two decisions.

the Beard
On table 13 (5'x10') table in Bensingers in front of the lunch counter, I personally have seen Bugs run '8 & out' playing full rack banks two dozen times. Once on the tournament table (Gold Crown 1), this table always played a little wet. Bugs ran a 15 followed up by a 12 and 8 practicing.

In my lifetime, No Pool player was a more 'Natural' talent then Lenard 'Bugs' Rucker! Played pool 'Off the Rack' 98% of the time.

Last edited:

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Eddie Taylor was the best. Bugs was better than Spaeth. Before Bugs there was Javanley “Youngblood” Washington in Chicago.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gorst, Thorpe, SVB, j. Hall probably tops now. You can never answer those old 'could they beat so-n-so' questions.
Add Joshua Filler. He plays banks once a year. Aside from J. Hall this year and Jason Miller (who learned to bank from Gary) his first year that he won DCC banks, I haven’t seen any other player bank on Diamonds at Joshua’s level as he did this year. I remember the first time I saw Filler play banks. I remarked back then that it wouldn’t be long before he was the best at this game. That doesn’t speak to multi-rail banks and bank ring games, however.

I think if the DCC had started ten years earlier, Gary would have won 5 championships and brought everyone’s bank game up earlier As it was, it was Jason Miller who turned the switch on banking on Diamonds.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The knoxville bear banked liked 37 in a row. My Grandfather siad no one ever banked balls like Eddie Taylor. He would only get action with someone once unless you were one of the truely gifted bank players. My grandfather told me there was a short list of players that no one seeked out.

1. Eddie Taylor at banks.
2. Rags at 1pkt
3. My Grandfather and Wimpy at 9ball
4. Willie at straight pool
Your Grandfather was probably right. 😎

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Add Joshua Filler. He plays banks once a year. Aside from J. Hall this year and Jason Miller (who learned to bank from Gary) his first year that he won DCC banks, I haven’t seen any other player bank on Diamonds at Joshua’s level as he did this year. I remember the first time I saw Filler play banks. I remarked back then that it wouldn’t be long before he was the best at this game. That doesn’t speak to multi-rail banks and bank ring games, however.

I think if the DCC had started ten years earlier, Gary would have won 5 championships and brought everyone’s bank game up earlier As it was, it was Jason Miller who turned the switch on banking on Diamonds.
Saw JM play once, damn impressive for a guy that didn't play a ton. How could he make all those banks on those ' shitty short bankin' Diamonds????? ;) Some adjust, some bitch. Champions adjust.

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course, we will never have an answer to "who was the best in their prime" in anything. That's what keeps the subject alive.....and well. Maybe on a given day, everyone is right when picking their choice. However, I worked doing research for two years to get Vernon Elliott on the ballot for the Bank Pool Hall of Fame. Vernon was my friend and I had heard about all of his "impossible bank shots". So I called Freddy "The Beard" for his opinion and validation of Vernon's banking skills. Vernon and Freddy were close friends and Freddy was voted into the "Banks Hall of Fame the preceding year. I asked Vernon if Freddy had ever beaten him in banks. He said "never". I called Freddy and asked him if he had ever beaten Vernon. He said "never". He said he had never seen anyone beat Vernon playing banks. Not many beat him at 9 ball or one pocket. He said they had name recognition because they played tournaments plus high stakes games they played were talked about and published. Longer story short, with Freddy's help, Vernon was inducted into the Bank Pool Hall of Fame. I kept all my notes of the people I talked to and all the stories Vernon told me about his life growing up and a book full of stories of the World Champion players of his era he played and beat at high stakes gambling. He never played a tournament. Arguably, he may have been best of them all!