Bar pool ball in hand

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I've never seen anyone spot a ball for any reason in bar pool. I always assumed it was because on a bar table, you cannot retrieve a pocketed ball, it's inside the table.

But, actually, your mention would be another solution to being penalized heavily from your opponent's scratch.

This thread is about 8-ball, the only game played around here.

There is one Bar in my area that in their Friday night tournament, to appease the BCA players, they spot the eight ball if your opponent scratches and your Eight ball is behind the line.

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Talking about the ball after the break rule. Most of the Pro 8-ball tournaments are going to take what you make.

The Bar League that I play in went to BCA rules, season before last. To see if we liked it. NOT.

Just to show how much harder it is to run the table with take what you make.

BCA Season we paid $5.00 ea. for 93 Break and Runs. The top players that season made 9, 8 , 7's each.

This season we went back to Bar Rules.

Under take what you make. We only paid out $5.00 ea. for 20 Break and Runs.

And the top players only had 3 Break and Runs each.

Last edited:

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If BIH were played, it would get them to thinking.

👍

When everyone plays by some kind of proper rules, everyone’s game improves. Bar players who start thinking can outplay bar bangers who can pocket any ball from anywhere but don’t play position, and then bangers learn how to have a chance against good players. Appreciation of the game,and therefore enjoyment, goes up and a local pool scene springs up. Just needs the bars to start those low fee tourneys where rules are enforced. Get the punters in, get them drinking, pay one of your staff to ref the games. Where there’s a will there’s a way, just usually there’s no will.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
This season we went back to Bar rules.
Haha! Where's the "Standardized Book of Bar Rules?"
So many problems everywhere with this.

👍

When everyone plays by some kind of proper rules, everyone’s game improves. Bar players who start thinking can outplay bar bangers who can pocket any ball from anywhere but don’t play position, and then bangers learn how to have a chance against good players. Appreciation of the game,and therefore enjoyment, goes up and a local pool scene springs up. Just needs the bars to start those low fee tourneys where rules are enforced. Get the punters in, get them drinking, pay one of your staff to ref the games. Where there’s a will there’s a way, just usually there’s no will.
Exactly.

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
We play standard call pocket. No slop. We don't play any of those stupid weird rules you see in some cities. If the ball goes in the pocket you called it, it's good.

Make the Eight on the break you win.

Take what you make after the break. Doesn't make any difference how many of each set you make, if you make one or more of each set table is open until a player makes a ball to establish what you have.

No roll outs. If you have a viable shot you are expected to try to make it. Only skilled safeties are allowed.

BIH behind the line. I have been trying to get BIH anywhere on the table. Maybe I can get it when we start the new season this time, since that is one BCA rule most of the players liked from the season before last when we tried the BCA Rules.

Scratch on the eight you loose, weather you make it or not.

The real reason we sent back to the Bar Rules. Is that there are so many lower level BCA players that are so indoctrinated into playing safeties that they will play one every other shot.

Last edited:

chitownnorth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We play standard call pocket. No slop. We don't play any of those stupid weird rules you see in some cities. If the ball goes in the pocket you called it, it's good.

No roll outs. If you have a viable shot you are expected to try to make it. Only skilled safeties are allowed.

BIH behind the line.

The real reason we sent back to the Bar Rules. Is that there are so many lower level BCA players that are so indoctrinated into playing safeties that they will play one every other shot.

This is spot on!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

BIH behind the line. I have been trying to get BIH anywhere on the table. Maybe I can get it when we start the new season this time, since that is one BCA rule most of the players liked from the season before last when we tried the BCA Rules.

I like your train-of-thought BUT, what's a "skilled safety"? Do you mean a two-way shot aka it looks like you're swingin' but actually you're duckin'? If its a really low perct. shot they have to shoot at it just 'cause they can see it?

Last edited:

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Take what you make after the break. Doesn't make any difference how many of each set you make, if you make one or more of each set table is open until a player makes a ball to establish what you have.

Don’t play weird rules? Lol.

In 8 ball you pocket all the solids or stripes and then you pot the 8 when you have pocketed all the balls of your group. Yet you play “make the eight on the break you win”. That is one weird rule.

“Take what you make” - this is a weird rule too because it takes away the choice, and therefore the thinking, of which group to take.

Not sure what you meanby “no roll outs” and only “skilled safeties”but the rules of the game are designed to encourage and reward aggressive play anyway.

The whole concept of BIH is BIH and ball in the kitchen is a terrible rule because it can be disadvantageous for the incoming player.

Scratch on the 8 you lose? Why not on every other ball?

Just play WPA rules. They make sense. You can post them on the wall. People will respect them. And they’ll get to like them. Silly rules give the game a bad name locally and globally.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, to most it's like croquet and badminton. They play it for fun occasionally. They don't know the official rules for those either...but they play them at picnics. And everybody seems to play different rules. Most don't care most of the time. Once in a while a guy shows up that knows...he sucks the fun right out of it for the majority. And he shows up with a custom professional croquet mallet at a family picnic. https://transformamallets.com.au/

There might be as many rules for pool as there are bars...just like their might be as many rules for croquet as there are back yards. :wink:

And anyway...even those that play pool seriously have different rule sets to select from depending on what league or organization they want to follow. :rolleyes:

Are those croquet mallets low-deflection? ;)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In 8 ball you pocket all the solids or stripes and then you pot the 8 when you have pocketed all the balls of your group. Yet you play “make the eight on the break you win”. That is one weird rule.

“Take what you make” - this is a weird rule too because it takes away the choice, and therefore the thinking, of which group to take.

Not sure what you meanby “no roll outs” and only “skilled safeties”but the rules of the game are designed to encourage and reward aggressive play anyway.

The whole concept of BIH is BIH and ball in the kitchen is a terrible rule because it can be disadvantageous for the incoming player.

Just play WPA rules. They make sense. You can post them on the wall. People will respect them. And they’ll get to like them. Silly rules give the game a bad name locally and globally.
"TWYM" is a horrible rule. Why should the breaker get penalized for making a ball on the break? And then with that pesky "no safety" rule what is your option after getting screwed on the break? I kinda like BIH in the kitchen but it should be shooter's option to pass the shot back if he wants to.

chitownnorth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's no different than making the 9 on the break in 9 ball and winning.

But you do have a choice. Learn to break so you don't get hooked. What's not good is someone waiting for a long time for his/her game to come up, only to never get a chance to shoot because of this ridiculous rule of "choice after break.This is a bar, not a poolhall where you can string game after game together against the same person.

Rules differ.

Then conversely that would mean it was a skillful shot perhaps by the previous player to make that scenario a possibility.

Again, if you scratch on the 9 ball in 9 ball you lose as well wherever I have played.

People will only respect rules that they feel comfortable with in a bar. It's normally winner's choice and they can set up whatever game/rules they choose (within reason) and that's how it's been for a very long time.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People will only respect rules that they feel comfortable with in a bar. It's normally winner's choice and they can set up whatever game/rules they choose (within reason) and that's how it's been for a very long time.
So you can break an 8ball rack and NOT hook yourself on demand? Like to see that.

chitownnorth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you can break an 8ball rack and NOT hook yourself on demand? Like to see that.

I'm being facetious. The point is choice after break is really silly, especially in a bar. You break...you should be stuck with what you make plain and simple.

chitownnorth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In many bars in Chicago the standard game is last pocket 8 ball where the rules are quite different than no slop 8 ball. When in Rome...unless you win the table and can change the rules of the game and find someone to play.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

It’s rules like this that make my eyes roll...they don’t work when it gets serious.

We had a great action room in the 80s....one of the games we highrolled at was Scrabble.
....one of the guys, who had a much better education than me, said he would play me
but we could only use everyday ‘normal’ words....
I told him that I like to gamble where I don’t need weapons...or have to argue.

A good set of rules allow two tough guys who don’t even like each other to compete fairly.

pt...thinks everybody should know that ‘ai’ is a three-toed South American sloth...:wink:

chitownnorth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s rules like this that make my eyes roll...they don’t work when it gets serious.

We had a great action room in the 80s....one of the games we highrolled at was Scrabble.
....one of the guys, who had a much better education than me, said he would play me
but we could only use everyday ‘normal’ words....
I told him that I like to gamble where I don’t need weapons...or have to argue.

A good set of rules allow two tough guys who don’t even like each other to compete fairly.

pt...thinks everybody should know that ‘ai’ is a three-toed South American sloth...:wink:

No offense, but this is a bar we're talking about, where people normally go out for fun and entertainment, not serious pool. If someone wants a serious game, set it up and take it on your agreed upon time/place. But a bar is not open to service the whims of pool players. They will not stay in business relying on (in most scenarios) one pool table that costs 4 quarters a game. Now I'm talking about an actual bar, not a bar/pool hall scenario.

And I'm not even touching on the potential to lose your liquor license over some gamble.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
No offense, but this is a bar we're talking about, where people normally go out for fun and entertainment, not serious pool. If someone wants a serious game, set it up and take it on your agreed upon time/place. But a bar is not open to service the whims of pool players. They will not stay in business relying on (in most scenarios) one pool table that costs 4 quarters a game. Now I'm talking about an actual bar, not a bar/pool hall scenario.

And I'm not even touching on the potential to lose your liquor license over some gamble.

Almost every thing works when it’s fun...but sometimes it’s not fun.
...people have been hurt or even killed in $2 games in bars......
...I’m pretty sure a lot more times than in pool halls.

Admittedly. I have very little experience gambling in bars....when I did get talked into
action a few times, I insisted we play 6-ball...same rules as 9-ball....
....rules are simple, fewer arguments.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the show recess at the playground the kids are
separated in a hierarchy.

Fifth graders at the top, portrayed as royalty who presides
over all lower classes.
Kindergarteners at the bottom, portrayed as a wild savage tribe.

Bar rules players are pools kindergarteners.
They are savages.
Leave them to their own devices.
They are not to be negotiated with.
They do not adhere to any structure or
any semblance of logic.

Exactly! Avoid bar room pool at all cost. It's not worth it.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

:thumbup2:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In my experience, in bars, when you win, if you start expecting rules they don't like they say so...and will not like it...and will often quit.

And if they do play the rules you set, when they lose they will blame your rules.

Generally speaking...there are always exceptions.

I am not talking about bars that are pool halls or have several tables where pool is big. I am talking about bars that happen to have a table.

I know a biker bar with 5 Diamond bar tables. That ain't bar pool. It ain't a pool hall either, trust me.