BCA Rant

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BCA at the national level is now saying players have to sanction in every league they play in if the league number differs. Supposedly this makes it easier for them to track the players.

We have three separate league operators in my area. So now I have to pay for 3 BCA memberships to play in the leagues I have been playing in?

I find this very disturbing and extremely lazy on the part of the BCA. Just an excuse to take more money from the players. A BCA membership should gain access to any BCA league. Isn't that the point of getting a membership?

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Are you sure about all of this? When you go to the BCA website and use the member lookup function is your name listed under 3 different league numbers? If it doesn't say you are sanctioned under all three then you are probably correct. I just joined BCA about 6 weeks ago in a 10-ball league and was wondering about sanctions last night.

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark and Ozzy addressed this in a recent podcast. As I recall, the logistics of matching names across different leagues with different time frames etc. is too difficult. But leagues can combine different nights into a single league with different divisions that would require only one payment.

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not knowing anything about the circumstance or what was said on a POD cast, I will say if the data is in a database, even a novice can write a small search function which would find matching criteria. Hey, that's what modern db's are all about.

Al

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on the veracity of information among BCA League operators, I'd send a formal request to BCA HQ and get the word from them.

Brian in VA

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not knowing anything about the circumstance or what was said on a POD cast, I will say if the data is in a database, even a novice can write a small search function which would find matching criteria. Hey, that's what modern db's are all about.

Al
It has nothing to do with the database. What was happening was that player X joins league A and pays the BCAPL membership fee, but operator for league A holds fees and sanctioning info for several weeks for whatever reason. Then player A joins league B and doesn't pay fee, claiming he already paid for league A. Operator for league B sends in sanctioning material and the BCAPL has no record of player A ever paying the membership fee. So then the BCAPL has to track down operator for league A and say WTF. And obviously it gets more complex with 3 or more leagues in an area. So Mark and Ozzy decided to shift the workoad back onto the operators (where it belongs) while at the same time offering a solution (as BRussell points out) for players in locations with multiple leagues.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has nothing to do with the database. What was happening was that player X joins league A and pays the BCAPL membership fee, but operator for league A holds fees and sanctioning info for several weeks for whatever reason. Then player A joins league B and doesn't pay fee, claiming he already paid for league A. Operator for league B sends in sanctioning material and the BCAPL has no record of player A ever paying the membership fee. So then the BCAPL has to track down operator for league A and say WTF. And obviously it gets more complex with 3 or more leagues in an area. So Mark and Ozzy decided to shift the workoad back onto the operators (where it belongs) while at the same time offering a solution (as BRussell points out) for players in locations with multiple leagues.

This doesn't sound right to me. I join one league and pay the fee. I still have to pay the fee for the second league even if I have proof I paid in the first league. How is that putting the workload back on the operators? All it does is gives additional membership fees to BCA. The solution that BRussell proposed isn't realistic because different operators are going to keep their leagues. They have no interest in combining leagues with the other operators. It would be simple if the BCA limited it to one operator per area but they do not.

Since I have to pay for two memberships now, can I play on two different teams at Nationals since I qualified with different membership numbers?

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This doesn't sound right to me. I join one league and pay the fee. I still have to pay the fee for the second league even if I have proof I paid in the first league. How is that putting the workload back on the operators? All it does is gives additional membership fees to BCA. The solution that BRussell proposed isn't realistic because different operators are going to keep their leagues. They have no interest in combining leagues with the other operators. It would be simple if the BCA limited it to one operator per area but they do not.

Since I have to pay for two memberships now, can I play on two different teams at Nationals since I qualified with different membership numbers?
You are correct that NOW you have to pay the $15 membership fee for every league you join, but a few years ago the BCAPL had a rule that allowed players to pay one fee per year no matter how many different leagues they played in. And what I wrote in my previous post is the reason why a few years ago the BCAPL changed to the current system.

To answer your question, no you cannot play on mutiple teams at Nationals, but you do have the choice of which league you want to represent.

labrat

Registered
A solution to this madness

There is no reason why in this day that we should have to double and triple charge players for sanction fees. The main issue here that League operators are not following the rules and the BCAPL is not enforcing the rules that they have. There is a timeline where the LO are supposed to turn in their sanction money (I believe 4 weeks after the league starts, but I could be wrong) and neither party is following/enforcing those rules. So be it, not my issue to deal with. This is not an impossible task to overcome as we are told. Some creative thought by the board of directors of my state organization and we have the solution.

I'm a software developer that has taken the ideas of the BOD and created an online solution for this mess. I'm in the final stages of coding and we are testing the software out this weekend. Once we are up and running in my state, this software will be available (for a fee) to any independent league that would like to use it.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's funny, because I can pay my yearly fees for APA online, and it shows up within the week as paid.

00john

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BCA at the national level is now saying players have to sanction in every league they play in if the league number differs. Supposedly this makes it easier for them to track the players.

We have three separate league operators in my area. So now I have to pay for 3 BCA memberships to play in the leagues I have been playing in?

I find this very disturbing and extremely lazy on the part of the BCA. Just an excuse to take more money from the players. A BCA membership should gain access to any BCA league. Isn't that the point of getting a membership?
here in Oregon we also have 2 league operators in the portland metro area. i enjoy the choice but if i play in both operators venues i owe double the annual dues. It isnt a lot when you think about it but i feel bad about it in some odd way.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's funny, because I can pay my yearly fees for APA online, and it shows up within the week as paid.
Right, the difference is that APA owns your league, whereas with BCA they just sanction the league. That's what causes the membership overlap problems - they just don't have the same level of control. Ironically, the league BCA does have full control over, the USAPL, doesn't have any membership dues.

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That makes sense. Thx for the explanation.

Al

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
New software

Labrat,

If you have the opportunity, please check your PMs.
Or call me -
Thank You,

Mark Griffin

There is no reason why in this day that we should have to double and triple charge players for sanction fees. The main issue here that League operators are not following the rules and the BCAPL is not enforcing the rules that they have. There is a timeline where the LO are supposed to turn in their sanction money (I believe 4 weeks after the league starts, but I could be wrong) and neither party is following/enforcing those rules. So be it, not my issue to deal with. This is not an impossible task to overcome as we are told. Some creative thought by the board of directors of my state organization and we have the solution.

I'm a software developer that has taken the ideas of the BOD and created an online solution for this mess. I'm in the final stages of coding and we are testing the software out this weekend. Once we are up and running in my state, this software will be available (for a fee) to any independent league that would like to use it.

labrat

Registered
All due respect, Mark, this system and concept is for independent league organizations and will not be available to the BCAPL. If you (BCAPL) can't figure this out and have to screw the pool players, that's too bad. After all, it took about an hour for us to develop the concept and about four months to put it in place. By the way, it works great! No double and triple charging in our independent league, NEVER!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
talk about a money money grubbing league and lo's. oh thats right ...this aint the apa so its ok .:rolleyes: