BCA rules.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I missed the shot and the ball is centered in the pocket. My opponent takes over the table and makes two balls and my ball falls in. He said it should spot back up and I said ok. I told him I think it should go back in the pocket though.

Any way that freed him up to shoot the 8 ball in the pocket my ball was in as it was on the long rail a few feet from the corner pocket.

Were friends, I won the match and I told him I would ask the AZ gang.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I missed the shot and the ball is centered in the pocket. My opponent takes over the table and makes two balls and my ball falls in. He said it should spot back up and I said ok. I told him I think it should go back in the pocket though.

Any way that freed him up to shoot the 8 ball in the pocket my ball was in as it was on the long rail a few feet from the corner pocket.

1-49 Balls Settling or Moving
1. If a ball settles or otherwise moves by itself, it will remain in the position it assumed and play continues. It is not a foul if a ball settles or otherwise moves by itself as you are shooting. If a ball that you are shooting at settles while you are shooting but does not fall into a pocket, the result of the shot stands. 2.

If a ball that is frozen to the cue ball moves as the cue ball leaves its original position on a shot, whether or not it was moved by the cue ball or settled on its own is determined solely by the referee's judgment. 3. If a ball is hanging on the lip of a pocket and falls into that pocket by itself after being stationary for five seconds or longer, it will be replaced as closely as possible to the position it was in prior to falling. The five-second count does not begin until all balls in play have stopped moving. Whether the shooter remains at the table does not affect the five-second period. 4.

If a hanging ball drops into a pocket by itself while balls are in motion during a shot, the ruling depends on the ensuing action of the balls:

a.
If no ball passes through the area originally occupied by the hanging ball, it is restored and play will continue.

b.
If the cue ball, before contacting another ball, passes through the area originally occupied by the hanging ball and, without contacting any other balls, either scratches or remains on the table, both the cue ball and the object ball are restored to their prior positions and you shoot again. (AR p. 101)

c.
If the shot is legal and any ball passes through the area originally occupied by the hanging ball, including the cue ball with or without scratching, and any other balls are contacted by such a ball at any point during the shot, a referee will attempt to restore the position prior to the shot and you shoot again. If restoration is not possible, the game will be replayed with the player who broke the game breaking again. (AR p. 101)

d.
If the shot is illegal because the cue ball first contacts an illegal object ball before it or any other ball passes through the area originally occupied by the hanging ball, it is a foul. The incoming player accepts the object balls in position. If the hanging ball is designated by specific game rules as the game winning ball it must be restored, otherwise it is not restored.

http://www.playcsipool.com/bcapl-rules.html

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The relevant part of the rule above:

“3. If a ball is hanging on the lip of a pocket and falls into that pocket by itself after being stationary for five seconds or longer, it will be replaced as closely as possible to the position it was in prior to falling.”

pj
chgo

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Does it fall in because it was knocked in by the other balls? That stays down. If it was knocked in by table vibrations, it gets put back where it was.

I have seen players shoot a ball in, then the cueball makes one of my balls and they try to put mine back up.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What if it's the eight ball that is hanging and you're shooting at it and it falls just before the cue ball get there and the cue ball goes into the hole. Do you lose for scratching on the eight?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
What if it's the eight ball that is hanging and you're shooting at it and it falls just before the cue ball get there and the cue ball goes into the hole. Do you lose for scratching on the eight?
From above:

b. If the cue ball, before contacting another ball, passes through the area originally occupied by the hanging ball and, without contacting any other balls, either scratches or remains on the table, both the cue ball and the object ball are restored to their prior positions and you shoot again.

pj
chgo

Last edited: