Beat my draw!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Challenge accepted. Here's the best I can coax out of VP.

Looks like you two play pretty even... :)

pj
chgo

View attachment 582041
That's the limit (without doubling the head cushion) because the cue ball still has draw when it gets to the first cushion, and you get a "banana shot" effect. Putting the OB even with the side pockets lets you go farther:

CropperCapture[247].jpg

I suppose it's possible that effect puts a limit on the shot on a real table.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heyy folks.
I just was loosening up my stroke after practice and was trying to get max low english with sidespin.

So here my challenge with my best result. Both balls are exactly one ball width from side rail.
Can you do better? I am interested especially 9ft Diamond table results because those rails are so bouncy.
Also my cloth is on daily heavy use on our private club and 6 months old so with new cloth i believe this result should be easy.
If someone can get back to middle of table from that route i give 10 points and parrot achievement. ;)

Mike Massey would have no trouble, even now at his age, coming off that 4th cushion and all the way back across the table to pocket a ball hanging in the bottom right corner pocket.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the limit (without doubling the head cushion) because the cue ball still has draw when it gets to the first cushion, and you get a "banana shot" effect. Putting the OB even with the side pockets lets you go farther:

View attachment 582049

WOW.
Thanks Bob. Every day I learn something new!

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Ya, I tried this and couldn't get much passed the second rail. My table is waaay too slow for this and my rails are dead. Of course that's pretending my stroke is anywhere near good enough...lol

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I could weld or possibly commit mass-murder while listening to that but not play pool. ;)
I hear you on that one!!!!!! I thought there was fixin to be a freight train or something smashing thru the wall by the sounds I was hearing. Some people actually pay money to hear sounds like that from a juke box.

Nice shot Mr. Pool

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
Best attempt. Shot about 15 balls and decided I better quit before I wake my wife up, lol.

I don’t think it’s possible to get back to the center of the table four rails on my table with 5 year old cloth. My cushions aren’t super responsive either. Maybe someone with a better stroke than I have could get to the 4th rail on my table.

Larry Nevel, "hold my beer".

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I gave it about 15 tries and the best I could do was 2 rails and CB in the middle of the table. No need for a video of that, but I’ll still try the video later. Maybe the pressure of being recorded will get me another rail? Yeah I know I need to work on my draw. Maybe iron my cloth next time? The wife will freak out when she sees me ironing the pool table. lol

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wondering if you'd get more speed on the ball by hitting closer to the vertical axis. (?)
I was thinking about this. I think I might be able to get to the 4th rail if I moved the whole shot forward a diamond. It seems like having the cue ball so close to the head rail limits the amount of speed you can generate before contacting the first rail. If the cue ball is still picking up speed and not rolling naturally when it contacts the first rail, it might be killing the rebound speed a bit.

Just a theory. I might test it out when I have some spare time.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wondering if you'd get more speed on the ball by hitting closer to the vertical axis. (?)
Yes. If you hit so fast and really low cueball will deflect shaft too fast on to cloth and cue does not transfer so much energy to cueball overall. Also left english is important factor on this shot because it will generate speed from cushions. If you hit too low you can´t hit enough left to get high speed sidespin.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking about this. I think I might be able to get to the 4th rail if I moved the whole shot forward a diamond. It seems like having the cue ball so close to the head rail limits the amount of speed you can generate before contacting the first rail. If the cue ball is still picking up speed and not rolling naturally when it contacts the first rail, it might be killing the rebound speed a bit.

Just a theory. I might test it out when I have some spare time.
True. Can't wait to try myself. Prolly get to center table...
and no further...

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 582049

Just saw this. 🤦‍♂️ Pretty much exactly what I wrote above. You beat me to it.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice shot.
Hopefully on Monday or Tuesday I'll finally be able to have some time at the table first time this year (thanks damn quarantine).
Out of 4 tables we have in our pool school only one (old Brunswick with something like 17-18 months of hard playing on its Simonis 860) might give at least some chances. On other three Olhausen, Murrey and Olio due to the cushions and the cloth conditions ... well the mission is impossible or pretty dangerous for the tip, walls, the curious to look on the opposite side etc. ;)
I may try it just to see how often my CB is going to fly off the table after 6 weeks of no hitting a single ball:D.
We have at least two quys in our school who have the best chances at this.
One is Vitaliy Patsura and the other is my student Nikita. Last year we really had some fun testing some new toys and he made a few really nice power draws among the bunch of different shots.
Here is the video
For example look at those two similar shots starting 5:20;).
The cloth was almost new at that time...so now it would be quite a challenge.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice shot.
Hopefully on Monday or Tuesday I'll finally be able to have some time at the table first time this year (thanks damn quarantine).
Out of 4 tables we have in our pool school only one (old Brunswick with something like 17-18 months of hard playing on its Simonis 860) might give at least some chances. On other three Olhausen, Murrey and Olio due to the cushions and the cloth conditions ... well the mission is impossible or pretty dangerous for the tip, walls, the curious to look on the opposite side etc. ;)
I may try it just to see how often my CB is going to fly off the table after 6 weeks of no hitting a single ball:D.
We have at least two quys in our school who have the best chances at this.
One is Vitaliy Patsura and the other is my student Nikita. Last year we really had some fun testing some new toys and he made a few really nice power draws among the bunch of different shots.
Here is the video
For example look at those two similar shots starting 5:20;).
The cloth was almost new at that time...so now it would be quite a challenge.
Very clean stroke. That draw looks effortless and controlled.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought one draw trick shot i made(original) in summer when cloth was new but i cant find it from computer. So I decided give it a try for just for fun.
More like Larry Nevel style shot and little overkill. Anyways if some could make 1 and 9 ball same pocket from here. My cloth so old now I can´t get 3rd rail anymore give longening effect to cueball route. If I could cueball would go directly to 9 and make it too.
This shot is actually quite funny.
There is so much distance with CB and OB that aiming of that might surprise a lot of low deflection cue users. A lot of complicated physics involved but I don´t yet wanna speak those effects.

Here also i could get into end rail 4th and back middle of table when cloth was new. I would like to see someone pull that off!

Beat my Draw vol. 2