Because I'm sure he sang in a bar with a pool table

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
at some point during his career, RIP to Merle Haggard. I saw him last year when he was on tour, still getting it done.
 
He played pool in my poolroom in Bakersfield in the early 70's. He and some very sweet little country gal came in late one night and he asked for a table in the back of the room. They were both slightly plastered but laughing it up and having a good time. I knew who he was (he was a Bakersfield fixture) but chose not to say anything. I didn't want to disrupt his fun. He played that one time and then bought a custom table for his home out by the entrance to Kern canyon. After that I lost a customer for life! Only saw him in person that one time.

I used to play poker in Buck Owens joint (the Blackboard) in Oildale. We played "table stakes" low ball, which is what we called a no limit game back then. The game played big and I made some nice scores in there. Mostly professional people in the game like lawyers and businessmen. I remember Bail Bond Barry, a handsome young man who owned the biggest bail bond company in Bakersfield. He was a pretty big poker fish and one day I heard he got shot dead in his office. He had bought a new gun and was showing to one of his friends when it went off. At least that's the story they told.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top