hang-the-9 said:
I have stayed away from smaller tables and bad equipment forever, yet many of the people I play with go to the bars to play APA players and make some cash with it. I hate playing on sub-par equipment, and even though it would be easy to play and make money in the bars I have never tried. Are thare any benefits aside from easy $5 a game bets to playing? I mean it's not like playing a D player will train your focus for the big tournament, especially if you use a mis-matched set of balls on a torn rug of a cloth. What's the big deal with bar tournaments, is it only because nothing else is available?
even when I was broke it still never made sence to me , the BS of bar pool aint worth the easy $$$, I said that when I was a c+ with $40 in my pocket in 1986, after beating a guy for $20 and moving good enough and losing enough $$ back that When I was $20 ahead he quit-didnt pay me and told me if I wanted the $$ to come and get it. Man the door seemed far away, I did get out ok.
3 years ago when my back was just starting to get bad I hadnt picked up a cue in 2-3 months, I went to a place was going all the time on Sunset Strip in LA, I was living in LA full time then, its a resteraunt outside, club inside, I didnt know they had a box, We would park the Lambos 4-6 us every night in the front of the valet and jump the rail and sit at our table and just hang out, it was great spot, so one night I walked in and saw a box the securit guard who I awalys tipped $100/night to or more was playing some short guy-but I could tell he was a tough guy, I asked for the next game, as a joke I flipped a c-note out on the table when I was racking the balls-with no intention of action, out of no where his came, I let the bouncer hold them, I pushed balls around forever giving him his $$$'s worth he could play a little. when the time wass right I ran the last 3 off the table, missed the 8 by 1/8" he scratched on the 8 so I win. perfect so I thought....That guy would have killed me had Justin the bouncer not been sitting there-I gave him what I won, I made sure he was when the guy made the bet because of my prior experiences in bars. Wow that guy wanted a piece of me, I cant get into a fight because when you have $$$ everyone wants $100,000 for a broken nose, so I have bodyguards, but I do miss mixing it up sometimes.
bar pool for fun is ok, for $$$$-no thanks. Its better to play people pool for $$$ that are people who play for $$$, they know how to win and lose.