Bergman ran a 19-pack, I think it's the highest package on video.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I feel lucky and spoiled to have seen the best of the best come thru Indy for the big bar box tournament they have had for 30 years or more.

Wooden or plastic racks and the matches after the tournament were nothing short of incredible.
Large packages with the regular and mud cue ball, you got out wherever the ball landed.

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
it doesnt matter ... pretty sure 19 racks on a bar table is completely different than on a 9ft tight pocket table ... find some other idiot to convince
there is a big difference between a 7ft and 9 ft table but at his level when he is in stroke a 9 ft table big package is not out of reach for him! so once again your statement has no value!

xX-Wizard-Xx

1668535834771.png

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How strong would that be if he didn't start smashing the rack and losing control of the one ball? I think if he would have stayed with the soft break he would have run a lot more, but one will never know.
I also found it odd that he went from what was working great to hitting harder.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weird... Max pack size I saw was 8

Since when do gimmies count toward ball made...?

If the bead is moved to his side, it's a win. Can't get a win without the 9 going down even if it's given and assumed. Do you think any of the games the guy gave him he had much chance to miss the shot? I don't see any of the games given as not a run-out. There were no 1-9 combos, no 9 on the breaks, ran to the 9, guy gave him a hanger 9 ball. It's not like he was going for an official BCA / WPA / Guiness Book record where there was a score keeper and rules judge, it just happened.

phreaticus

If the bead is moved to his side, it's a win. Can't get a win without the 9 going down even if it's given and assumed. Do you think any of the games the guy gave him he had much chance to miss the shot? I don't see any of the games given as not a run-out. There were no 1-9 combos, no 9 on the breaks, ran to the 9, guy gave him a hanger 9 ball. It's not like he was going for an official BCA / WPA / Guiness Book record where there was a score keeper and rules judge, it just happened.

Exactly correct. The dipshits jumping in with stupid comments are acting like its straight pool.

I watched the whole thing last night. Mesmerizing, talk about CB on a string, wow. Most impressive to me was how loose he was the entire time; upped the power on his breaks, then backed off. Took his time on shots that needed care, 2 stroked most others. Had interactions with the crowd & tables nearby… And played the final perfect safe without a second thought. Super impressive

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it doesnt matter ... pretty sure 19 racks on a bar table is completely different than on a 9ft tight pocket table ... find some other idiot to convince

In theory yes, however no one is talking about this run on a theoretical 9 footer but what was done on the equipment there. As I said in reply to another post, EVERYTHING ever done can be said to be harder or different with some other factor added. Sure the guy solved a puzzle in record 4 minutes, but he did not do it while blindfolded on a plane, 3.5 minutes to run a mile but he could not have done that in bare feet in sand so who cares.

The result has to stand on it's own, in the circumstances it was done at. If it was good or bad simply depends on how many others have done it in the same environment. If Sally, Harry and Jim did this every week on their APA league, meh, not so great of a thing. If it's enough that everyone is talking about it and can come up with maybe 1-2-3 other players that have ever done the same on the same equipment, it's kinda a big deal.

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
I also found it odd that he went from what was working great to hitting harder.
Knowing Justin he got bored with the soft break and he had took the lead in the match Would be my guess. I plan on going up to the TPC this week and if he is there I will ask him.

phreaticus

Knowing Justin he got bored with the soft break and he had took the lead in the match Would be my guess. I plan on going up to the TPC this week and if he is there I will ask him.
The commentator on the vid made it sound like Justin pulls a respectable annual income doing what he does. If thats anywhere near true, sounds like he’s smart, and plays pool on his terms. Whats not to love about that?

Last edited:

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
The commentator on the vid made it sound like Justin pulls a very respectable annual income doing what he does. If thats anywhere near true, sounds like he’s smart, and plays pool on his terms. Whats not to love about that?
Nothing at all wrong with it, Wish him the very best.

To play devil's advocate. Say you think Tony is the top 5 in one hole, and is getting these ridiculous money games all over.
You'd have to think that if he wanted it, Justin could put out the bat signal and say, anyone but (insert Filipino name) can come to the hall he is at (so he doesn't have to travel) and play sets for (insert amount.)

Or, maybe he is just having some fun with pool, which I don't think he was having when he was traveling all around.

Either way, God bless him.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pros shouldn't even be playing 9 ball. it shouldn't be a tournament option. And atleast ban magic rack. Players should have to rack the balls

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Do you think if they "gave" Mr. Shaw ball #400 because it was so easy to make and it was stop shot shape that anyone would say his +700 ball run is the record...?

Couldn't put a number on how many gimmie 9's, and 8's I've seen missed by +700 spd players.

The cold hard truth here is that Justin didn't make all the balls required, so he was provided the opportunity to avoid a possible mistake that would end the package. How unlikely that mistake would have been is not a variable.

Note that once he started having a consecutive streak building into significant numbers he was shooting every 9 regardless of how easy it was. Wonder why...? ;)

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
For all the Wow!zers.....:)

Don't think this has been mentioned.... & I find this More impressive.
In tournament play, I remember only 2 players running out the set w/o their opponent ever shooting.
Either after the flip or the lag.
I'm pretty sure it was back in the era where loser racked the balls, which give the racker a better chance at getting back to the table.

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
The commentator on the vid made it sound like Justin pulls a very respectable annual income doing what he does. If thats anywhere near true, sounds like he’s smart, and plays pool on his terms. Whats not to love about that?
If anyone would know Brendan would. I haven't been up to the TPC yet but I plan on going tomorrow to catch up on all of the pool world stuff since I took a break.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I think the two players doing zippo sets.... might of been Vanover and Boom Boom.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Do you think if they "gave" Mr. Shaw ball #400 because it was so easy to make and it was stop shot shape that anyone would say his +700 ball run is the record...?

Couldn't put a number on how many gimmie 9's, and 8's I've seen missed by +700 spd players.

The cold hard truth here is that Justin didn't make all the balls required, so he was provided the opportunity to avoid a possible mistake that would end the package. How unlikely that mistake would have been is not a variable.

Note that once he started having a consecutive streak building into significant numbers he was shooting every 9 regardless of how easy it was. Wonder why...? ;)

One thing I enjoyed about this video was that it was a routine match where Bergman happened to get into stroke and played perfect pool for an hour. It's cool when that happens in any sport.