Best balls

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a lot of new balls on the market in the past few years (cyclops, predator, etc.). I'll be looking to purchase a new set pretty soon and wanted to hear everyone's opinion on all the different sets out there. Looking to get the best possible- price doesn't matter on something that will last 20 years.

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator are made by Aramith and they are the most established manufacturer. Cyclop have agressive marketing but they aren't time proven yet. You can't go wrong with Aramith which has many different ranges and color options aside from the Predator ones.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a lot of new balls on the market in the past few years (cyclops, predator, etc.). I'll be looking to purchase a new set pretty soon and wanted to hear everyone's opinion on all the different sets out there. Looking to get the best possible- price doesn't matter on something that will last 20 years.
It would be easier to get accurate opinions if you listed the factors that are important to you.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Regular old school aramith crown or probably any pool balls will last if you don't treat them like basketballs

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator are made by Aramith and they are the most established manufacturer. Cyclop have agressive marketing but they aren't time proven yet. You can't go wrong with Aramith which has many different ranges and color options aside from the Predator ones.
As to Cyclop, they were a well established ball(used by CSI and Diamond at DCC) but they no longer exist. The maker in China is now the exclusive manuf. for Dynasphere. From all reports they are a very good ball. Any quality phenolic ball will play well and last a long time. If these are for a home table they will basically last forever.

Last edited:

mrpiper

Registered
Absolutely stick with the major players. A really cheap set came with the table when I bought it. They were so pathetic I put them in the trash after a couple of weeks. Aramith is the gold standard. I personally really like the Brunswick Centennials and play them most of the time. I also own a set of Vigma balls that I have been really pleased with. The colors are really vibrant. I recently purchased a set of Elephant Beautiful marbled balls for less than $100 delivered brand new in shrink wrap from Amazon and they are a nice change of pace. They are about 10 years old but still were new and unopened. All of the sets I own and use for my home table will be here to be played by the next generation as well I'm sure. In 20+ years of home use, I have never had a failure of any ball. Within the top tier balls there are literally DOZENS of styles and color schemes. Stay at the high end and choose whatever you like best, then expect to get the bug again and buy another set later anyway! :)

289FIA

Aramith has an extensive line and their top line set has been the Aramith Super Pro and they are made by the Belgian company Saluc. The Centennials marketed by Brunswick are ALSO made by Saluc and are made with the identical resin as the Aramith Super Pro .. they are identical in every way except graphics. Within the past couple of years Aramith introduced a NEW set made with Duramith .. a slightly harder resin than the Aramith Super Pros. They cost slightly more and reportedly don't get dirty as fast. The graphics resemble the Centennials a bit. From all of the research I have done .. if you want QUALITY long lasting balls, that play very well, you only need to focus on these three alternatives .. and basically whichever one looks the best to you. I purchased the Super Pro .. then really just liked the Centennial design better .. and bought a set of those.(correction on the Belgian company name .. thanks .. Saluc).

Attachments

• Centennial balls and rack.jpg
    Centennial balls and rack.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 181
  • Centennial vs Super Pro.jpg
    Centennial vs Super Pro.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Aramith has an extensive line and their top line set has been the Aramith Super Pro and they are made by the Belgian company Tulac. The Centennials marketed by Brunswick are ALSO made by Tulac and are made with the identical resin as the Aramith Super Pro .. they are identical in every way except graphics. Within the past couple of years Aramith introduced a NEW set made with Duramith .. a slightly harder resin than the Aramith Super Pros. They cost slightly more and reportedly don't get dirty as fast. The graphics resemble the Centennials a bit. From all of the research I have done .. if you want QUALITY long lasting balls, that play very well, you only need to focus on these three alternatives .. and basically whichever one looks the best to you. I purchased the Super Pro .. then really just liked the Centennial design better .. and bought a set of those.
Cancel this transmission of info please

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any of Aramith's duramith balls, or any dynasphere balls are at the top rung. Can't go wrong with either. Everything else (including centennials) is a rung down at least.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Raschig balls
These have a funny clinking sound to 'em. They also seem to go dead after a few hours. This is probably due to accumulating dirt but at one point long ago I wondered if they a) had a ceramic center and b) stored heat, causing the surface to soften enough to deaden the break etc...
lol...

Hoser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tried a set of dynasphere bronze and really like them. They stay exceptionally clean. Good value

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on which set looks the best to you. All the ones listed are top of the line, and when kept clean they will look good. I got my Dynasphere Tungsten set in Aug 2020. I haven't washed them yet, just cleaned them with a Selvyt Microfiber cloth. They still look new. I am pretty sure they wear better than the Aramith Premiums I used to use.

1. Aramith Tournament (Duramith)
2. Predator Arcos
3. Brunswick Centennials
4. Any of the Dynaspheres

289FIA

Depends on which set looks the best to you. All the ones listed are top of the line, and when kept clean they will look good. I got my Dynasphere Tungsten set in Aug 2020. I haven't washed them yet, just cleaned them with a Selvyt Microfiber cloth. They still look new. I am pretty sure they wear better than the Aramith Premiums I used to use.

1. Aramith Tournament (Duramith)
2. Predator Arcos
3. Brunswick Centennials
4. Any of the Dynaspheres

Really interesting read on the Predator .. not sure if it was a Predator ad or unbiased commentary but stated that the Predator Arcos was made with a proprietary phenolic resin formula that is denser than the Duramith? Saluc uses a variety of different Phenolic Resins .. the higher quality the balls the denser FINER the grains of the powder used in the resin mix .. resulting in a denser ball. The Brunswick Centennial and Aramith Super Pro are made with the same resin, the Aramith Tournament with the Duramith (finer grain powder .. denser resin). Some real interesting options for sure.