Best book for beginner

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I am not strictly a beginner. Began playing late 60s and stopped 1972. Now, I've been playing APA for five years. SL5 in both with trips to 6 and back in 9ball.

So, if I decide to take a rest/art, what book should I read first?

Right now, I am starting "Cue Tips" by Raftis.

Suggestions
The Pleasure of Small Motions. It helps develop a great attitude for learning the game.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another great source to improve the game is AZ member “Tin man” Demetrius Jelatis. Checkout MN Pool Bootcamp. I’m not sure if he has written a book yet, but a phenomenal instructor.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Byrnes instructional books are a great place to start.

Second that, I love the Standard Book of Pool and Billiards. Well written with enough info and tips for any level really. I did not look at Mark Wilson's book but it seems that is also a good one to go to if it was the only book to be had.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem with books and videos is the complete lack of feedback. You can read or watch what you should be doing, but you actually have no idea if you're actually doing it. Which, for the mechanical issues the OP is asking about, a competent in-person instructor is really the only choice. You need someone with a practiced eye watching you and giving you feedback and guidance.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Great book, but in what way does it address the OPs question?
One of the best lessons had to do with the bars on the window of the men's room. When I am in deep do do, I just remember that a person can perform beyond and above when forced to. Playing on your nerve can be dangerous.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I'm afraid most of the books out there even the ones that are often touted are pretty much more just collectibles. They can't possibly compete with what's current and on video and youtube. "A picture is worth a thousand words" as they say.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NathanDetroit, Howdy;

I'd get my hands on Phil Capelle's "Practiceing Pool". Very nice section on the fundamentals
and tons of practice diagrams to work through the mechanics of various types of shots.
I found it to be very helpful. Best thing is it helps teach speed control.

hank

L.S. Dennis

Byrnes' Standard Book of Pool and Billiards. Although personally I think mechanical things like sizing up the shot, stepping to the table, lining up the shot (including feet), and stroke mechanics and speed control are better learned from a competent in-person instructor than from the best of books.
There are tons of instructional books out there but if I had to have just one it would be ‘Hal Mix’s Pocket Billiard Secrets‘. I’m not sure if it’s still availbe, possibly on e-Bay..

Testimonials, well for starters he was Nick Varner’s coach, C.J. Wiley said, “Hal Mix has a warehouse of knowledge of the game of pool.I’ve always said if he ever writes a book about pool I’ll be the first line to buy a copy!’

No book better for addressing fundamentals and address the correct way to strike the cue ball. If you can find a copy get it you won’t be disappointed!

Last edited:

xX-Wizard-Xx

Robert Byrne should definitely be a first read for beginners ... some of Phil Capelle's stuff are good as well.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only choice is “Mark Wilson’s” Book.
Hands Down- definitely start with Mark's book- Every other book will not capture the essence of your stroke, which is, at minimum, half the battle in learning the game. " Play Great Pool". - don't let the price scare you away- it is worth 10 of the other books, IMO.

However, you simply must invest in a small tripod to mount your I phone camera and record your sessions to monitor your progress- just reading stuff will never be enough to change/correct inconsistencies and flaws in your stance, stroke etc. You need to read, record yourself playing, review the films, go back and re read, continue filming, look for flaws and improvements - it is a process that will improve in small increments; if you do this at least a few times every week - minimum three sessions per week.

if you do not want to record and review yourself then save the money, do not buy books, and instead, seek out a good instructor. it has to be one or the other- just reading alone is next to useless when it comes to gaining a consistently effective cue address and stroke.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hands Down- definitely start with Mark's book- Every other book will not capture the essence of your stroke, which is, at minimum, half the battle in learning the game. " Play Great Pool". - don't let the price scare you away- it is worth 10 of the other books, IMO.

However, you simply must invest in a small tripod to mount your I phone camera and record your sessions to monitor your progress- just reading stuff will never be enough to change/correct inconsistencies and flaws in your stance, stroke etc. You need to read, record yourself playing, review the films, go back and re read, continue filming, look for flaws and improvements - it is a process that will improve in small increments; if you do this at least a few times every week - minimum three sessions per week.

if you do not want to record and review yourself then save the money, do not buy books, and instead, seek out a good instructor. it has to be one or the other- just reading alone is next to useless when it comes to gaining a consistently effective cue address and stroke.
Marks book is great
my biggest problem with it is mark shoots very sideways
his advice for your foot on the shot line is not where the majority of instructors will tell you
jmho
icbw
the rest of the book is terrific

Last edited:

GentlemanJames

While it is true that the balls illustrated in the shot diagrams are the size of softballs relative to the play field and pockets, I am really happy to see all the high-praise and recommendations for Ray Martin's, 99 Critical Shots in Pool.

Back in the day, I broke my cherry with Ray's book as an unschooled teenager and, 99 Critical Shots will always hold a very special place in my billiard library for putting me on the endless quest for pool excellence, knowledge, and self-mastery. The narrative writing-style in Ray's book (imho) is a superior blend/balance of instructing and informing, encouraging, motivating, and philosophical - all which are "critical" for a beginner. So, if you specifically want "a book" (as the OP asked for), which has a detailed beginners' study on stance, grip, bridge hand, cueing and stroke studies, you will find this section in 99 Critical Shots very clear and complete. If I had to point to the one thing in my life which taught me to really love being a life-long student of the game, it was Ray's book.