Best "cheap" custom cue you've used?

mrparks

Registered
Interested to know what the best custom cue (not mass produced) for least amount of money is you've played with. Mine was a Bill Hoyt sneaky Pete with a hidden steel joint. Bought it new for $100 and it played very close to my Schon.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Removed: Thread Has Gone South

.……………………………….

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have found phillippi cause to be far better players than the price tag would suggest, but I've only been familiar with their low/mid range cues.

4scarecrow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had plenty of custom cues from the best in the business over the years. Hate to say it, but the 60" Diveney sneaky that I play with daily (bought of the rack at a tournament for $500) is probably my favorite thus far. Don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Joey Bautista makes some of the best players on Earth, and definitely has the best shaft wood.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Not cheap cheap but great cues for under a grand:

Terry McFadden out of Phoenix
Joey Bautista

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a relatively cheap Randy Mobley before I ordered my custom cue. I want to say I paid around $400 or $500 for it with a cheap case. It played so well I dropped considerably more for a custom Mobley.

My wife left it on the back of the car one day and pulled away so one of my neighbors got a nice cue and a George case. Her biggest mistake was saying to replace it with whatever I wanted.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best I have tried:
Jeff Olney Merry Widow
Jack Madden Merry Widow

Best I have owned:
Joss Merry Widow 1985 ($200)
Peppers 4P4V SS 2012 ($475)

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Joey

The least expensive best player I’ve had is a used Joey Bautista conversion I picked up to try one of his cues. Glad I did.

I imagine the Jerry R cue posted earlier plays great, I always liked his cues and while they weren’t inexpensive, they often seemed under valued.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Tad Lofstrom out of northern Minnesota. I wouldn't say "cheap", but definitely reasonable for what you get. I don't think he makes a lot of cues though, or takes his time. I've always got an an eye out but rarely see any for sale.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim Vest......the player told me his cue cost around around $1300.
It was a really handsome player design with Juma joint and ferrules.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played with a Tillis sneaky Pete back in the 80’s that was awesome. Real reasonable too.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first fairly simple cocobolo/bem pj cue which needed to be at least 60 inch from Dan Prather cost me 200$ 21 years ago. Allowed me to learn and enjoy everything about the game.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Was a Mason Houghland cue. Second best would be one of Joey's, have had a bunch of them.

Also had a local cuemaker make me a sneaky that played great. It was actually the least expensive.

Wouldn't call any of them cheap though.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
A lot of guys out West have sneaky pete's made by Al Romero for 150-200. Al makes very good playing cues. His shop now is at Hard Times in Sacramento. He is over 80 and still plays pretty sporty himself.