Best Custom Leather Case Makers?

PRGeno

Registered
You used a lot of words to say very little.? Did you pay for design time? .
"If you require design assistance you may purchase design time from us here. BUY DESIGN TIME"

The website has tools to mock up and build a case and then there is dozens of previous made case pictures to choose from. So you pick a style or previous pattern and then email pictures of your custom idea. OR BUY DESIGN TIME
Sorry, I'll try to be shorter here. I used the design tool, based it on an existing model, but contacted him about an idea for something that wasn't an option in the design tool to see if it was possible before I placed the order.

I've watched a few of his auctions. He's always made very nice cases. I respect that might be his new business model, and that custom designs may no longer be of interest to him.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Sorry, I'll try to be shorter here. I used the design tool, based it on an existing model, but contacted him about an idea for something that wasn't an option in the design tool to see if it was possible before I placed the order.

I've watched a few of his auctions. He's always made very nice cases. I respect that might be his new business model, and that custom designs may no longer be of interest to him.
Don’t try to contact him. He has said many times he is not good at that part. Call and talk to his wife or contact Asia almcnairii@gmail.com
They handle all the ordering and designing and are easy to work with.

PRGeno

Registered
Don’t try to contact him. He has said many times he is not good at that part. Call and talk to his wife or contact Asia almcnairii@gmail.com
They handle all the ordering and designing and are easy to work with.

Thanks for the advice. His wife was involved from the beginning and was the one with whom I had all initial communications. The problems started when she got JB involved to determine if the customization ideas could be done. This was going to be a higher price case that he needed to get involved with before it went any further. Which, in all fairness, he did.

He just never followed up after making apologies for lack of communication, and promises to make it all worthwhile. Then all communications went dark. Nobody answered any of my messages, sent though multiple methods that his wife and/or others are likely monitoring. I would have preferred they just said no to the ideas and I likely would have bought it without them. Being ignored, after being led on for over a year, is not fun or productive.

They have every right to operate their business any way they want, and only work with whomever they choose. JB rightfully has a large fan base, as he makes very nice and well thought out cases. It appears he has chosen FB auctions over custom builds, which may be a smart business plan.

However, the OP of this thread asked who was the "Best Custom Leather Case Makers" and JB was mentioned as an option. He even posted in this thread promoting his business and criticizing others. I only started following this thread because I'm looking for the same, after my failed attempt at buying one from JB.

I'm sharing my experience in trying to buy a "custom" leather case from this maker so the OP knows this maker's business side, customer communications, follow up and follow through (or lack there of) might be something they want to explore before considering this maker as an option for their custom leather case.

Last edited:

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Thanks for the advice. His wife was involved from the beginning and was the one with whom I had all initial communications. The problems started when she got JB involved to determine if the customization ideas could be done. This was going to be a higher price case that he needed to get involved with before it went any further. Which, in all fairness, he did.

He just never followed up after making apologies for lack of communication, and promises to make it all worthwhile. Then all communications went dark. Nobody answered any of my messages, sent though multiple methods that his wife and/or others are likely monitoring. I would have preferred they just said no to the ideas and I likely would have bought it without them. Being ignored, after being led on for over a year, is not fun or productive.

They have every right to operate their business any way they want, and only work with whomever they choose. JB rightfully has a large fan base, as he makes very nice and well thought out cases. It appears he has chosen FB auctions over custom builds, which may be a smart business plan.

However, the OP of this thread asked who was the "Best Custom Leather Case Makers" and JB was mentioned as an option. He even posted in this thread promoting his business and criticizing others. I only started following this thread because I'm looking for the same, after my failed attempt at buying one from JB.

I'm sharing my experience in trying to buy a "custom" leather case from this maker so the OP knows this maker's business side, customer communications, follow up and follow through (or lack there of) might be something they want to consider before exploring this as an option.

Sorry it didn't work out for you. I know some people just want something to get their cues from A to B, and some of us enjoy a more unique and personalized cue luggage. Good luck getting the case you want.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
From some of the work I've seen, anyone interested in a leather case, might consider Jill Hawk. They are "new" as far as I know, but seem to be doing really nice work. 😎

Last edited:

JillHawkCueCases

Jill Hawk Cases
Silver Member
From some of the work I've seen, anyone interested in a leather case, might consider Jill Hawk. They are "new" as far as I know, but seem to be doing really nice work. 😎
Thanks for mentioning our cases, we sure do appreciate the compliment.

We are a husband and wife team building cases by hand in Sycamore, IL. This is the tail end of our first year in business.

JB interiors have really helped drive our sales, as they are a priority to many customers. We do, however, build on our own linen lined tubes and basic envelope cases.

We use premium Spanish veg-tan from the Splenda tannery, stitch everything by hand, and work with the customer on personalized designs.

One of our top priorities is securing custom orders through the upcoming months. Our envelopes start at $400 and a 2 x 5 starts at $635.

Right now, we can turnaround in 12 weeks.

IMG_20220722_172535_311.jpg
20220818_141741.jpg
20220913_142415.jpg

Attachments

• 20220913_142415.jpg
    20220913_142415.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 87

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for mentioning our cases, we sure do appreciate the compliment.

We are a husband and wife team building cases by hand in Sycamore, IL. This is the tail end of our first year in business.

JB interiors have really helped drive our sales, as they are a priority to many customers. We do, however, build on our own linen lined tubes and basic envelope cases.

We use premium Spanish veg-tan from the Splenda tannery, stitch everything by hand, and work with the customer on personalized designs.

One of our top priorities is securing custom orders through the upcoming months. Our envelopes start at $400 and a 2 x 5 starts at $635.

Right now, we can turnaround in 12 weeks.

View attachment 662181View attachment 662182View attachment 662184
I've got a feeling you folks will be around for quite awhile. 😉

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own probably 60-70 cases, some good stuff some garbage. They are in vaults storing the “collection”.

I re read this whole thread and realized over the years-almost 40 about 95% of the time I only used 3 different cases on a regular basis.

I have a 1X2 George with a Fellini style clasp I laid $110 for in 85.

A 3x6 Proper I have a love hate relationship with I bought in 91. Which is totally wore out, but still carry it.

And a $15 wholesale 1X2 Chinese Scorpion 1x2 case with a small pouch.

Those 3 cases have been with me 95% of the time. I had a amazing Justice case-gone, a gator Whitten case that was painfully expensive-gone. I have a couple Fellini’s with Gus’s in them as they match the cues(pretty cool).

I’m not sure why I’ve never owned a JB case, but I recommend them to everyone.

Most of my cases have came to me doing cue deals.

Cases are fun. Some great pics in this thread.

I’ve never had any one of my 3 cases I’ve used that 95% of the time ever damage my cue(s). My Boar currently lives in the $15 Chinese case and is happy. Cue is mint, no micro scratches or anything. Probably lucky.

I’ve seen more people scratch up cues not putting them in the case correctly than anything. RIP Irish linen when a shaft collar gets in the way……

Best
Fatboy

It’s user error as much as a bad case design.

JB cases are great

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I own probably 60-70 cases, some good stuff some garbage. They are in vaults storing the “collection”.

I re read this whole thread and realized over the years-almost 40 about 95% of the time I only used 3 different cases on a regular basis.

I have a 1X2 George with a Fellini style clasp I laid $110 for in 85.

A 3x6 Proper I have a love hate relationship with I bought in 91. Which is totally wore out, but still carry it.

And a $15 wholesale 1X2 Chinese Scorpion 1x2 case with a small pouch.

Those 3 cases have been with me 95% of the time. I had a amazing Justice case-gone, a gator Whitten case that was painfully expensive-gone. I have a couple Fellini’s with Gus’s in them as they match the cues(pretty cool).

I’m not sure why I’ve never owned a JB case, but I recommend them to everyone.

Most of my cases have came to me doing cue deals.

Cases are fun. Some great pics in this thread.

I’ve never had any one of my 3 cases I’ve used that 95% of the time ever damage my cue(s). My Boar currently lives in the $15 Chinese case and is happy. Cue is mint, no micro scratches or anything. Probably lucky.

I’ve seen more people scratch up cues not putting them in the case correctly than anything. RIP Irish linen when a shaft collar gets in the way……

Best
Fatboy

It’s user error as much as a bad case design.

JB cases are great
Amen Eric. I carried a 2 butt 4 shaft Giuseppe for years. I think I paid $80 bucks or so, for that case. Never had a single issue with that case, or the cues it carried. I gave it to my Son when I "upgraded." He still uses that case. It was/is tough as nails. 👍

KWilliams

Registered
I am using a JBCases Rugged Biutterfly 2 X 4 it is perfect, John did it my way, my color, my options, it is almost 110
% perfect. Might tweek it again, to get Perfect Case. But I am still sold on what JBCases does.
Wow. That's nice. I didn't know he made butterfly-opening cases.

KWilliams

Registered
Love the one on top, I definitely need to try a Whitten. But right now I need cues not cases as I have too many cases and not enough cues. I am still trying to figure out how that happened :p.

On a side note you guys with the heavily tooled fancy cases do you take them out to the pool hall with you or are you like me pretty much just storage? I have some fancy cases that I find myself too embarrassed to take out as my game isn't up to the level of the case, lol.
My game isn't at the level of my cues or cases.

tabi1

Registered
Wow. That's nice. I didn't know he made butterfly-opening cases.
He also has the butterfly cases in hybrid or all leather if you like. I have a 4x8 leather butterfly that i like and wish i had a 2x4 as well. I like the butterfly style as it's easy to get to everything.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
He also has the butterfly cases in hybrid or all leather if you like. I have a 4x8 leather butterfly that i like and wish i had a 2x4 as well. I like the butterfly style as it's easy to get to everything.

Like this one. Just turned a year old.🎂 No sign of wear and tear. But I amOCD about taking care of my stuff.

Rugged Butterfly built way I wanted, colors I wanted, option like I wanted, price fair. Opted not to do leather.

Attachments

• 262C9161-D396-4A3A-BE7B-42BC84E23D0F.jpeg
    262C9161-D396-4A3A-BE7B-42BC84E23D0F.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 105
  • BEB35D4D-4D6B-462B-A3F6-93F0FBC18551.jpeg
    BEB35D4D-4D6B-462B-A3F6-93F0FBC18551.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 105
  • CD936A12-8E6C-4152-8EE0-10203F5725E2.jpeg
    CD936A12-8E6C-4152-8EE0-10203F5725E2.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 9BE68048-F4EC-419E-9890-84F32F182A5C.jpeg
    9BE68048-F4EC-419E-9890-84F32F182A5C.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 106
  • C0569ED8-A43C-431D-A70C-FA7EBB10DD65.jpeg
    C0569ED8-A43C-431D-A70C-FA7EBB10DD65.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 106

tabi1

Registered
Like this one. Just turned a year old.🎂 No sign of wear and tear. But I amOCD about taking care of my stuff.

Rugged Butterfly built way I wanted, colors I wanted, option like I wanted, price fair. Opted not to do leather.
Nice simple case that opens fully and for me that's a nice feature. I think for long term storage the Ruggeds are probably the better choice but these are nice as well especially for daily use. I use a 2x3 rugged when going out but i think i could easily switch to this case. I may have to try a 2x4 butterfly in the near future.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
J & J 4 x 8 cases are so much better than what you demonstrated. Lighter without leather. Here is a picture of the top inside of my J & J 4 x 8 case. Everything is totally safe and nothing is touching. Costs $179 on Ebay. I love how it stands next to my chair and so I put my cues in the holes (break cue, jump cue and shooting cue) when it's not my turn. How many cues have been broken by leaning them up somewhere. I love mine and I'll keep mine.
I will bet 2000 dollars that I can break your cues in that case without breaking them in a JB Case after both cases are subjected to the same tests.

Furthermore, I am pretty confident that if I were to cut the interior of that case in half that most people would be appalled at how the interior is actually constructed.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Yea, I understand everyone has their quirks and idiosyncrasies. But my experience with JB hasn't been nearly as fruitful as yours.

I've been respectfully trying to buy a custom leather from him for over 18 months. I was very excited to work with him on some interesting customizations, then disappointed to have to beg for responses, and now completely apathetic. Communication was spotty in the beginning, then non-existent. Apologies and promises were occasionally made, but never fulfilled or followed up.

For the past six or so months there has been no response to any inquiries about the possibility of making my case. I send a message every now and then just to let him know I'm still alive, but I never get anything in return, and I have no illusions about ever seeing my custom case ever made.

At least we never got past the customization design phase so I'm not out any money. I couldn't possibly ever recommend JB to anyone at this point, and would strongly suggest against sending any money in advance for anything.

Sad, very sad
I don't know who you are but if we haven't taken on your order then it likely has parameters that we are unable or unwilling to do. I have referred customers to other makers at times and likely I did for you as well.

One of the drawbacks with us right now is that with 200 orders in progress every day we cannot take people off of established orders to do extra special orders that require a lot of development.

More than likely, without knowing the details since you didn't choose to reveal the details, that is the situation for your requests.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

I'm sharing my experience in trying to buy a "custom" leather case from this maker so the OP knows this maker's business side, customer communications, follow up and follow through (or lack there of) might be something they want to explore before considering this maker as an option for their custom leather case.
Sorry, as I said I will make it up to you but with business dynamics being what they are at present I simply CANNOT pull any of the staff off of orders to do the extra that you want.