Best Handicapping System

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
I misunderstood... you're saying, why would it intentionally be built so that the better player wins 70% of the time?

Honestly the answer is probably just to avoid turning off the good players. If a guy is used to winning 9 out of 10 games against anyone in the room, and he then loses to a weak player in league a few weeks in a row, he's gonna get irritated. You need a pretty good attitude to handle losing gracefully against someone who can't make a ball.

When I was first playing APA years ago, I was playing a 2, and they had to win 2 games of 8 ball. In one game I bumped the 8 early, in other they just plain won even though it's not supposed to happen. Oh, how I cried that day... "this is BS, they're reducing the game to a 50/50 coin flip! blah blah wah wah!"

But later I came to realize it's for the good of the league, you can't just cater to one group of players or the other.

Maybe the reasoning is... if you balance the handicap towards 50/50, you are consistenly favoring the beginners and shafting the strong players, and it's unfair to scale handicaps so that one group gets more help than the other.

Think about that for a minute :)

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never said anything about how people should be grateful for getting to play better players.

My mistake. You called playing a match you know you're going to lose a REWARD, and suggested that maybe that should be enough. How should I have read that?

You want to skew my points, fine. I will make it simple:

-I have never seen any handicapping system that I cannot find unfairness in. Every one claims to be fair, none are.

I actually kind of agree with that. It goes back to the balance between simplicity and accuracy, and the need for subjectivity. But although absolute fairness is a pipe dream, I think it's reasonable to talk about relative fairness with respect to scenarios. I happen to think every handicapping system I've ever seen is more fair than no handicapping system when you're talking about players of disparate abilities.

-Competition comes from so many places, who are you to say that it is 'going through the motions' just because the outcome is known?

Another quick foosball story. When I started playing competitive foosball I thought I knew a little bit about it. I started playing a weekly singles tourney. I played that tourney at least a dozen times before I scored a non-slop goal. I wasn't competing with ANYONE there. I was only competing with who I was the previous week. If I would have been handed any wins, I would have gotten complacent, I would have cared less. I played probably 150 weekly singles and doubles foosball tourneys before I ever won any.

That is the whole point. I didn't 'deserve' to win. I still found pleasure in competing. In fact, competing while knowing I couldn't win made me soooo much stronger that I went from choking every chance I got to being a very clutch performer.

And what's to keep the people with whom you weren't competing (the better players) from becoming complacent and caring less? You still aren't considering how a handicapping system might motivate the better players to stay sharp.

I have no respect for self-important people with feelings of entitlement. That is all a handicap is--entitlement. A handout. An Obama phone.

I have no respect for self-important people with feelings of entitlement, either. However, in my experience those attributes are most often displayed by better players (prima donnas?), not the ones who need the handicap just to have a chance.

You keep bringing in the theoretical 'super player' who comes in an is ten times better than anyone else, who is guaranteed to win. There are two options for dealing with that guy: Either let him play and allow anyone else to not play because of it; or tell him that he is not allowed to play because the league/tourney is aimed at lower level players. Either one is fine in my book.

Actually, there's a third option. Allow him to play, but handicap him. Make it so he has to earn his victories, but not so hard that the others can beat him without playing well. Allow him to not play because of it if he chooses. What's wrong with that? Everyone has to work hard to win, and nobody gets a handout.

As a final aside, I'll say that I think it is ironical for someone dubbed 'APA Operator' to be arguing the fairness of any handicap system. You have aligned yourself with the inherently most corrupt handicap system I have ever seen. I've written about it before, I'll give a few points now:

-The Equalizer is a secret formula. There is no transparency. No players know how or why their rating goes up.

The Equalizer formula used to be published in the team manual. Cheaters loved that. And trust me, the vast majority of players know exactly why their rating goes up. They have improved, and most are expecting it.

-The Equalizer uses a person's best matches and not the average matches.

And that's bad why? Aren't the good matches more indicative of a player's ability? I prefer a system that attempts to measure ability over one that merely averages performance. As one who prefers the challenge of a tougher match, I'd think you would prefer that system, too. You've expended a lot of effort trying to convince everyone that the lesser players should prefer a tougher match and don't deserve a spot (actually, to use your word, handout), but somehow the system that forces players to play up to their abilities instead of merely playing average to win is corrupt. It's also tougher to cheat a system that gives less weight to matches where you underperform.

-The APA allows a secret vote by 'representatives' to change a person's rating, overriding the secretive 'Equalizer' process. This is the most ridiculous allowance I have ever heard about.
Any system that relies purely on measured data (even a simple win/loss system) to rate players suffers from two problems. First, not everyone fits a mathematical formula. Heres an example. Player A always drinks on league night, so much so that it severely affects his play and he nearly always loses. Come tournament time, he stays on the wagon and plays way over his handicap. Those wins may catch up to him, but by the time they do it's too late. He has already gone deep and knocked plenty of other players out. Do you tell everyone "too bad, so sad"? Why not have a way to correct the rating before the tournament?

Second, some people cheat. No getting around it, especially if you give them the formula to do so. It's pretty easy to fool a computer, just underperform intentionally. Me, I'd love to just kick the cheaters out. To do that, however, I need to know for certain that they're cheating. What if I only suspect it? Should I wait for the important matches (again, possibly waiting too long)?

In both of those cases, a handicap advisory committee can help.

I sure wish the handicap advisory committee function could always be open and transparent. Unfortunately, when committee members are physically threatened or attacked after raising a player's skill level, you decide that safety is more important and keep them anonymous, regardless of how ridiculous some people think it is.

-The APA has done so little to address sandbagging that it is sending the message that sandbagging is taken lightly. Sandbagging is so easy in the APA that they might as well hand out a how-to brochure to anyone who signs up.

dld

I don't believe you're fully aware of just how much APA does to combat sandbagging. Rule changes, system changes, better software tools, improved review procedures, earlier DQ's at nationals, all in place to address cheaters. Just because they may not all be visible to you, it doesn't mean they don't happen. I mean, just take a look at my responses to your previous points about this "corrupt" system. Every one of them has an anti-sandbagging aspect to it.

Twenty years ago, sandbagging was a much bigger problem in the APA than it is now. We didn't have the tools or the procedures in place to deal with it. Now we're doing much better. Is there still room for improvement? Absolutely. There will always be cheaters - we know we'll never get them all. But we'll never stop trying.

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll take my best tourney streak as an example. I was playing a 9-ball tourney, lost my second match, went to the loser's side. In the loser's side none of my opponents ever stepped to the table. I either broke the nine or broke and ran (no early combos) every game.

So, I guess I should be rated the same as SVB by your logic.

If that tournament is the entire sample of matches, yes. And guess what? If you play SVB, you could very well glue him to his seat and win, right? You have a chance. But all that means is you both have to focus to win. The system, though it rates you and SVB the same for some short period of time, still accomplishes the goal. The lesser player has a chance, and the better player has to stay sharp.

Over time, however, that one streak of matches would fall off your "recent" record, and your best "recent" scores would then most likely be inferior to those of SVB. Your ratings would diverge over time, IF the rating system doesn't max out.

How can you ever prove it? I play better under pressure--much better. I used to not be this way, I stumbled onto a training program which gave me this quality. I guarantee that I never cheat, but you would see a different dude playing in a playoff/tourney situation than you would at normal league night. For instance, in my non-handicapped league a few years ago, I won about 40% for the first half of the season. When I found out that we were in danger of losing our playoff seed, I went to 88%. If I did that in APA I would have disqualified our team. Fair?

Forget fair, it's probably not even true. You're talking about regular season. Maybe your rating goes up, and justifiably so, but that's about it. If, however, you go into a higher level tournament and become that clutch performer you say you are, you may indeed risk disqualification. HOWEVER, in those events you are given the opportunity beforehand to raise your hand and say "Uh, I'm probably going to shoot significantly above my handicap." If you do that, your handicap goes up to where it should be and you mitigate the risk of disqualification.

Now, the $64,000 question. Should that tournament rating carry over into regular season play? I contend that it should. If you shoot nowhere near your true ability during weekly play, that's on you. That game is in you, and if it means enough to you, you will find a way to bring it out. If it doesn't, then you are complacent yourself. I don't want that complacency reflected in your rating.

I never said that the APA doesn't try. I really sound like I am bashing the APA and I don't mean to. I had a lot of fun playing APA...except for the fact that the team that I was brought onto was penalized and DQ'd from the tourney they had qualified for because they brought me on a week too late. They even asked the operator for a clarification on the issue--he didn't respond after multiple queries until he responded by disqualifying them.

Sounds like you were added to a qualified team after week four of Spring Session. A qualified team can only make changes after week four by giving up their qualification (another anti-sandbagging measure, by the way).

The LO should have double-checked to make sure the team knew they would have to give up their qualification to add you. But the fact that a team was even qualified used to be easy to miss on the screen where roster changes were made. It is unclear whether the LO even knew when he allowed it. In any case, I'm sure there's a lot more to the story than we're getting here, so I won't go any farther than that.

What I will say is that now the system pops up a warning whenever we try to add a player to a qualified team. It's impossible to miss now, so even if the team screws up by not knowing the rules, the LO should catch it every time.

That aside, I played only because I happened into a new charter of APA and saw a lot of players I could help.

What I mean to point out is that the APA format has a lot of reasons to cheat and not enough penalties for doing so--some of which are put on teams and players who had no intention of cheating.

When dealing with cheating, one has to decide whether they want to catch the criminal or prevent the crime. APA has some of both, and unfortunately no matter how you do it some innocent people are affected. You can't catch the criminal until he commits a crime, so there are innocent victims until the criminal is caught. You also can't prevent the crime (via rules, policies, software calculations, etc.) without affecting everyone to some degree. A good example of that is airport security. Wouldn't it be nice if only criminals had to go through the metal detectors?

Take care, been nice debating this with you.

Understand that I mainly want to encourage people to find the joy of competing (in pool and otherwise). I want people to judge themselves for their own learning curve. I want people to find the same satisfaction I found when I played hundreds of foosball tourneys and finally won one of them.

I don't like handicaps and I want other people to think about why they do. If I don't change anyone's mind, but make them think about it, my job is complete.

dld

It has been fun. Just remember that people are wired many different ways. Not everyone has the desire to challenge themselves, and not everyone finds satisfaction in a moral victory. For those people, maybe a handicap system has some appeal.

hon400ex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure how to do this but I would like to see a system like the BCA has (1-10) but in reverse. You get points for how many balls your opponent has left on the table and you try for the lowest score possible. This way, the best players who run out have a better handicap than the players who just barely squeak out a win. Something like that.
Andy