Best jump cue you've ever tested?

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few years ago I was trolling the vendor area at a Vegas event and there was a guy demonstrating this weird looking jump cue called something like the "Dr. Popper." He was jumping balls from insanely short distances, with the CB fractions of an inch from an OB. So I watch him for a while and he asks me if I want to try and I say "sure." He sets up three balls in a row, the CB near the middle of the table, an OB about a chalk's width in front of it, and the eight ball maybe a foot away. All three balls are lined up for the corner pocket.

I don't own a jump cue and I had certainly never used this jump cue, which is about as thin as a fishing rod with a little stubby thingie for a tip but I give it a go.

"Boop."

On my first try the CB obediently leaps up over the obstructing OB and makes the eight. The guy sets it up again. "Boop." Once again I have cleared the blocking OB and made the eight again. To make a long story short, I make the shot three times in a row. No practice, no experience with the jump cue, and I make the shot like it's nothin'.

Lou Figueroa
If it was Vegas then it was probably Marty Carey. I know he has booths at BCA and VNEA all the time. I don't recall Mark ever having booths. Both cues are similar in design and performance.

Paul_#_

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Artistic pool player used Dr Popper and Marty Carey jump cues in 2019:

As far as there being "trick cues," most of us use standard cues. Yes all of us have a masse cue, which is shorter and heavier. Also the majority of us also use a jump cue for super short distances, either the marty carey jump cue or the dr popper. I personally have 3 jump cues I use in competition: the marty carey jump cue and two standard factory jump cues.

See post at https://forums.azbilliards.com/thre...ete-at-8-9-10-ball.494338/page-5#post-6406596

AZers argued in 2014 whether Marty Carey's cue is a reconstituted Dr Popper:
https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/marty-careys-jump-q.375283/#post-4888914

Marty Carey's jump cues comes in 9mm (!) and 14mm tips at $195 shipped. Great videos at his website:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it was Vegas then it was probably Marty Carey. I know he has booths at BCA and VNEA all the time. I don't recall Mark ever having booths. Both cues are similar in design and performance.

As I recall it was at a CSI event.

Lou Figueroa

I think my AirRush is the best *cue* i've had. But i was the best with my old Players jump/break. Used to be able to jump over gaps less than a ball pretty easy. That was like 10 years ago now and i'm sure lack of practice has absolutely nothing to do with it...:sneaky:

Zerksies

Sledgehammer was the best jump break I ever used. Most jump break cues to me end up not being good at either.
I've said that many times and have gotten harrassed for saying it. Jump breaks are either good at one or the other and never good at both.

Paul_#_

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I have noticed several comments about how the newer jump cues are “too easy” with one YouTuber figuring the cues should be banned. The newer jump cues, Jay of Compforce argues, should be banned because they turn a task that requires skill into a task that only requires a particular jump cue — the older Predator Air 2 jump cue in his five-year-old review.

Another YouTuber who was never so good at jumping, tried his first jump with the Cuetec Propel and jumped the ball about off the table. Diamond Dave Billiards found it much easier to use than the older jump cues. He explained the improvement of the elasticity of maple wood to carbon graphite. Maple wood on average has a Young’s Modulus of 10 verus carbon graphite of 50 to 200. Higher values mean higher tensile strength and more ability to transfer force to cue ball.

AZer Texas Carom Club found the newer Predator Air Rush much better than those he had used in the past.

To me, these comments suggest the major improvement in jump cues in the last few years are that the jump cues made with carbon graphite or carbon graphite with a wooden core (Air 2). They are superior to the wooden jump cues.

The YouTubers"
Jay of Compforce

Diamond Dave’s Billiards

I have noticed several comments about how the newer jump cues are “too easy” with one YouTuber figuring the cues should be banned. The newer jump cues, Jay of Compforce argues, should be banned because they turn a task that requires skill into a task that only requires a particular jump cue — the older Predator Air 2 jump cue in his five-year-old review.

Another YouTuber who was never so good at jumping, tried his first jump with the Cuetec Propel and jumped the ball about off the table. Diamond Dave Billiards found it much easier to use than the older jump cues. He explained the improvement of the elasticity of maple wood to carbon graphite. Maple wood on average has a Young’s Modulus of 10 verus carbon graphite of 50 to 200. Higher values mean higher tensile strength and more ability to transfer force to cue ball.

AZer Texas Carom Club found the newer Predator Air Rush much better than those he had used in the past.

To me, these comments suggest the major improvement in jump cues in the last few years are that the jump cues made with carbon graphite or carbon graphite with a wooden core (Air 2). They are superior to the wooden jump cues.

The YouTubers"
Jay of Compforce

Diamond Dave’s Billiards
Well, an ideal jump cue is super stiff and light, right?
If you're looking for stiff and light you can't beat carbon. Just look at cycling, hockey, auto racing,...

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What’s best all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Propel, Air Rush, Jacoby will all get it done.

On the jump break side of things I would recommend the Omen & Diveney on the higher price side. Nothing wrong with a McDermott Stinger & Schmelke Jump Break on the cheaper side.

The Chilton Flying Eagle jump cue combined with say a Predator break cue(anything with a uni-loc joint) might be the best I have ever had.

Paul_#_

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
The new mezz air drive 3 hands down for me. I will be posting a review of it in the next week or so.

better weighting and more solid hit that both predator and Cuetec.
Have you posted a review of Air Rush and Cuetec Propel VS Mezz Air Drive?