Best OTC Cement for Cue Tips?

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something learned back in my 20's was to make sure the tip and the top of the ferrule was absolutely flat before gluing down a tip. If I could lay the tip down on the ferrule and while holding the tip down while raising the ferrule and tip up to some light, if there was any part of light showing around the edges under the tip and ferrule the glue wouldn't hold the tip on. I still do that but my eyesight ain't what it once was.
Thinking just about any good super glue is fine , if the above is followed when making the install. Gotta make sure there are no gaps between the tip and ferrule and all should be A Okay.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Something learned back in my 20's was to make sure the tip and the top of the ferrule was absolutely flat before gluing down a tip. If I could lay the tip down on the ferrule and while holding the tip down while raising the ferrule and tip up to some light, if there was any part of light showing around the edges under the tip and ferrule the glue wouldn't hold the tip on. I still do that but my eyesight ain't what it once was.
Thinking just about any good super glue is fine , if the above is followed when making the install. Gotta make sure there are no gaps between the tip and ferrule and all should be A Okay.
In my experience even the high dollar tips are not truly flat. I'll face them on a perfectly flat piece of high grit sandpaper. I do figure 8's and rotate the tip a quarter turn after a couple 8's. It doesn't take much and my thought is that since I'm doing it by hand the figure 8 adds some randomness so I don't sand one side and make it worse.

Even Kamui clears aren't really flat. They say you don't have to sand them, but if you hit them with some high grit wetsanding type paper (dry) you can see they are dished. This is one tip I am particularly careful with.