Best OTC Cement for Cue Tips?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Ouch. On that last pass of the facing of the ferrule, a lot of white came out. A few tips done this way, your ferrule and shaft will be noticeably shorter.

Learn to do it yourself. Don't shorten the ferrule.

All the best,
WW

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The slower the better. But not too slow. Due to the dual bevel of a razor blade, you’ll **** up some ferrules in the learning process. I’ve transitioned from using razor blades to a specialty ground blade. Completely flat on the bottom, with one side ground to the point(single bevel). It’s quicker, less error prone. But requires maintenance to keep a sharp edge that utility blades don’t need. I just modified a 3/8” old chisel.

And there should be zero ink left on the bottom of the tip when you go to glue it. Are you sanding the back of the tip first?

You know, somewhere in my boxes and boxes of lathe cutters I have a parting blade that my father in law ground on top to produce a fairly steep profile, as for cutting wood, or maybe aluminum, which also requires a steep profile. If I can find it I'll touch it with a stone to sharpen it up, and try carving a tip down to diameter, i.e., not scraping it, at fairly slow spindle speed, and a reasonable longitudinal power feed. Here's the tool:

2020-01-07%2013.19.26%20small.jpg

I'll chuck close to the ferrule and wrap the ferrule with a layer of Scotch tape, so I can touch it with the tool without cutting the ferrule; then feed to the right.

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
I've been using the same type of Loctite Ultra control Gel for 3-4 years and nothing has came off during play for me or anyone I have done tips for (100's)

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I started doing tournaments 10 years ago,and ever since that first tournament my go-to glue for all leather tips has been Loctite Pro in the blue bottle.

With proper surface prep,in the time (10 seconds typically) it takes to remove thumb pressure off the tip and grab a Viva to slowly spin the shaft to wipe the squeeze-out off,the glue is set to the point of I can't move the tip with pliers without ruining it.

So far at my yearly tournament,my record is 6 tips/shaft cleanings in an hour.

Now that wasn't as big of a lick as some make off that because I don't typically stock Kamuis for example due to lack of local customer support for 45.00 tips even with a cleaning/polishing,and yes guys like Joe Blackburn or Steve Lomax might do double that number of customers in the same amount of time.

However,having 6 customers walk away with a quality product (Ultraskins are the layered tip I recommend most) AND a shaft that feels better than they've probably ever experienced in an hour is about all I can realistically expect :wink:. Tommy D.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know, somewhere in my boxes and boxes of lathe cutters I have a parting blade that my father in law ground on top to produce a fairly steep profile, as for cutting wood, or maybe aluminum, which also requires a steep profile. If I can find it I'll touch it with a stone to sharpen it up, and try carving a tip down to diameter, i.e., not scraping it, at fairly slow spindle speed, and a reasonable longitudinal power feed. Here's the tool:

2020-01-07%2013.19.26%20small.jpg

I'll chuck close to the ferrule and wrap the ferrule with a layer of Scotch tape, so I can touch it with the tool without cutting the ferrule; then feed to the right.

Do not use that style of cutter for anything other than parting off. It’s sharp on the front, the sides where a right->left cutting for tip trimming is dull.

Muddog

Registered
Just replaced 4 tips using loctite gel put about 6 racks down a piece no issues
Think it’ll stay my go to

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you!

Thanks everyone for the replies! I guess the winner is Loc-Tite Super Glue Gel Control. It's readily available, seemingly everywhere, for about $4.5 for 4g. I used it and it worked well. I think I even used to much. Next time I'll use one large drop in the center.

I know some say they use other types, but it seems a cyanoacrylate of some kind is the trick.

Cheers,

jv

YIRMASTER

Hi guys,

Running out to the store for some cement, since my shaft collet set is arriving today.

I have some great cyanoacrylate adhesives from RC plane building, but I fear they are old and have lost their potency.

What's the best cement for this application that's available at WallMart, Home Depot, Lowes, et.al.?

Thanks,

jv
I found the best glues are not only cyanoacrylate but also infused with rubber for better handling the impact a cue takes otherwise the glue cracks, snaps and falls apart.

Tip: You should not use more than 1 or 2 drops, excess glue could weaken the bond.

The best glues I found for replacing pool cue tips is: Loctite Ultra Control Gel in the Blue/Black side squeeze bottle.

P2-10 but it is very expensive and could dry up in the bottle wasting most of it.
and similar to P2-10 but make sure you get the one in the red label not the blue because the red label Mitre Apel works just a good. All 3 of these glues are cyanoacrylate rubberized glues.

Many cue tip manufacturers recommend using Loctite 401 (I am not sure if it is rubber infused or not or if it's liquid or gel, I've never used it.)

Victor Kaminski
www.PoolJunkie.com

Zerksies

I'm using Gorilla Glue gel, Since everyone is saying loctite I might have to give it a try next time

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found the best glues are not only cyanoacrylate but also infused with rubber for better handling the impact a cue takes otherwise the glue cracks, snaps and falls apart.

Tip: You should not use more than 1 or 2 drops, excess glue could weaken the bond.

The best glues I found for replacing pool cue tips is: Loctite Ultra Control Gel in the Blue/Black side squeeze bottle.

P2-10 but it is very expensive and could dry up in the bottle wasting most of it.
and similar to P2-10 but make sure you get the one in the red label not the blue because the red label Mitre Apel works just a good. All 3 of these glues are cyanoacrylate rubberized glues.

Many cue tip manufacturers recommend using Loctite 401 (I am not sure if it is rubber infused or not or if it's liquid or gel, I've never used it.)

Victor Kaminski
www.PoolJunkie.com
For over 10 years I have used the Gorilla Super Glue Gel , since finding that they use Chlorinated Rubber in the mixture of the super glue. That one thing got me over to it. I have too cut my tips off after they wear out. Have installed many tips for friends over the years and never had one fail. In the past the dropping of a cue was enough too shatter the adhesion of the glue and cause the tip to fail, Haven't had that problem since. I haven't tried the Loctite product but might now give it a chance. Will look at the data on the packaging and see if the rubber is included in the formula.
On wrapping the ferrule with tape thick enough to make sure the tips is centered, yep been doing that as well and it helps greatly

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
For over 10 years I have used the Gorilla Super Glue Gel , since finding that they use Chlorinated Rubber in the mixture of the super glue. That one thing got me over to it. I have too cut my tips off after they wear out. Have installed many tips for friends over the years and never had one fail. In the past the dropping of a cue was enough too shatter the adhesion of the glue and cause the tip to fail, Haven't had that problem since. I haven't tried the Loctite product but might now give it a chance. Will look at the data on the packaging and see if the rubber is included in the formula.
On wrapping the ferrule with tape thick enough to make sure the tips is centered, yep been doing that as well and it helps greatly
GG gel is great stuff. I used a whole bottle of it then decided to try loctite (whichever the one that everybody recommends).On the third break the loctite poped a tip and I gave the bottle away. Went back to GG and have never had a break or playing tip pop.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I been using gorilla glue gel as well for a awhile now. I have had a few (like 3) tips come back to me because they came off. The common factor in all of them is that they were dropped/knocked over and fell hitting the sides of the tip. I think i am going to switch to locktite and see if it has any more shear strength than the gorilla gel.

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am going to be the "old school" weirdo or luddite and say I still use Tweeten's 10 minute cement.
I do mine all by hand like many do, never been in a hurry. Never had one fail me.

I have a friend that bought a brand new somewhat fancy McDermott. The first time out with it after a while it slid off where he leaned it and slapped the ground. The tip came right off. It wasn't very impressive for a brand new cue!!:eek: