Best Pool Balls?

TrevorB

Registered
What are the best balls out today? I was planning on buying a new set.

This is very subjective, lotta personal opinions and preferences. I’d say most would likely say Aramith Tournament. Best price currently is from Wayfair!

16-Piece Super Tournement Billiard Ball Set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
Definitely subjective. I have a set of Dynasphere Tungsten, Cyclops Ladon and Arcos 2.

The Arcos 2 are the only ones I ever use honestly. Not that the others play bad but the Arcos are just so nice I use them.

I play regularly with Aramith with Duramith and they play awesome as well. Can't tell the difference between the Arcos and Duramith sets, probably because Aramith makes both!

Would play without complaint with most any phenolic set to be honest.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless you have a perfect table with perfect cloth and perfect cushions, why do you need perfect balls? What should be asked of yourself is what is the best value for my money and for my intended purpose?

Let's say for example your table is on a concrete slab with no carpet. Do you want to take a chance of a $400 set of balls bouncing off that concrete floor? They do get accidentally dropped . They do occasionally jump off the table . They're not going to stay very nice for long.

I played four years with the aramith crown standards. When I bought them they were 55 bucks. They are now one hundred bucks a set. But they are very good ball.

When I do get another set, I'm going to look hard into the Dynasphere balls. Been hearing some very good things about them.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can afford it:
1. Predator Arcos II
2. Aramith Tournament

If you want a good set for the money:
1. Dynasphere Bronze (that will probably play as good, and will definitely resist chalk as good or better)

Last edited:

Nyquil

I really like the aramith tournament balls I got with my table. The colors are deep with a nice luster. Some complain the cue ball gets messy easily with chalk build up I have not had this issue with my sky blue Master chalk.

terpdad

Registered
I have a set of Cyclop Ladons (not made anymore but replaced/possibly upgraded by Dynasphere). They're great & sometimes available used on eBay.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same co. Dynasphere balls are made by XinBiingRubber under exclusive contract. Cyclop is no more.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Unless you have a perfect table with perfect cloth and perfect cushions, why do you need perfect balls? What should be asked of yourself is what is the best value for my money and for my intended purpose?

Let's say for example your table is on a concrete slab with no carpet. Do you want to take a chance of a $400 set of balls bouncing off that concrete floor? They do get accidentally dropped . They do occasionally jump off the table . They're not going to stay very nice for long.

I played four years with the aramith crown standards. When I bought them they were 55 bucks. They are now one hundred bucks a set. But they are very good ball.

When I do get another set, I'm going to look hard into the Dynasphere balls. Been hearing some very good things about them.
I don't see how that's any different than spending $60K on a new car then driving it on salted roads. My table is on concrete, I have had balls fly off, its surprising but they actually hold up pretty good. When I bought them I did not expect them to last a lifetime, when they start looking shoddy I will buy another set of Centennials, Tournaments, and Cyclop equivalent. It will take awhile to wear out all 3 sets though. :)

Last edited:

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is very subjective, lotta personal opinions and preferences. I’d say most would likely say Aramith Tournament. Best price currently is from Wayfair!

16-Piece Super Tournement Billiard Ball Set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow. That's $110 less than what I pay for Tournaments. I might be ordering another set soon. Thanks for the info.

Geosnookery

I’ve played for 53 years. The answer is….I don’t have a clue. I’ve tested balls in our lab. No real difference between them. In contrast, balls made 35 years pre computer machining, would have differences of weight and size even within a new set ( not that it was all that great).

It’s amazing that everyone is trying out new sets of balls for comparison. I just get a set from the cashier. What are they? Well, no idea and they certainly aren’t new to compare to the other ‘new’ set that I used at some hypothetical other pool hall I played in last year.

Comparing pool balls is like comparing cues…99% baloney.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve played for 53 years. The answer is….I don’t have a clue. I’ve tested balls in our lab. No real difference between them. In contrast, balls made 35 years pre computer machining, would have differences of weight and size even within a new set ( not that it was all that great).

It’s amazing that everyone is trying out new sets of balls for comparison. I just get a set from the cashier. What are they? Well, no idea and they certainly aren’t new to compare to the other ‘new’ set that I used at some hypothetical other pool hall I played in last year.

Comparing pool balls is like comparing cues…99% baloney.
Tend to agree here. Place i play has mostly 20+yr. old Centennials. They still play great. Got way more on my plate to sweat than this.

Last edited:

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can afford it:
1. Predator Arcos II
2. Aramith Tournament

If you want a good set for the money:
1. Dynasphere Bronze (that will probably play as good, and will definitely resist chalk as good or better)
Yup. All 3 are top tier. I have the dynaspere tungstens and they play as good as anything. They are a bit ugly, but the quality is top notch, and you can't beat the price.