Best replacement cushions to increase rail speed for Brunswick table

John Matranga

Hi guys,

I have a 9' Brunswick table with Champion ProAm cloth. The cushions on my table are verifiably slower than the clubs in which I shoot in, and I decided to change the cushions.

The table mechanic (recommended to me by two different friends) changed the cushions recently, but my stimp meter shows the new rails are actually slower than the ones replaced! The mechanic says Brunswick speed cushions are identical to the K66 cushions he just installed and won't make a difference. He further states that Artemis cushions will not fit my rails. I am flummoxed. I suspect there are faster cushions available but do not know which brand or type to select.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
Brunswick Table.jpg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys,

I have a 9' Brunswick table with Champion ProAm cloth. The cushions on my table are verifiably slower than the clubs in which I shoot in, and I decided to change the cushions.

The table mechanic (recommended to me by two different friends) changed the cushions recently, but my stimp meter shows the new rails are actually slower than the ones replaced! The mechanic says Brunswick speed cushions are identical to the K66 cushions he just installed and won't make a difference. He further states that Artemis cushions will not fit my rails. I am flummoxed. I suspect there are faster cushions available but do not know which brand or type to select.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 671497
don't think k66 is right cushion. that's a Century and they came with SuperSpeed's. call Ken here:https://www.classicbilliards.net/cushions-supplies/determine-rail-profile.html they do make Artemis for it but they are very expensive. Are the rail bolts tight? That could be a reason for slower bounce.

pw98

Registered
The nose height is what makes cushions play faster or slower. I'm guessing he installed the k66 without converting the subrails and the cushions are now up too high. You want to have them replaced with correct k55 cushions. Like superspeed.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The nose height is what makes cushions play faster or slower. I'm guessing he installed the k66 without converting the subrails and the cushions are now up too high. You want to have them replaced with correct k55 cushions. Like superspeed.
nose height affects long/short even more than speed. loose bolts is probably part of his issue here.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah Superspeeds are K-55. You probably just need to install Superspeed cushions. Superspeeds done right will probably get you where you want as far as the speed goes.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nose height affects long/short even more than speed. loose bolts is probably part of his issue here.
More than likely the wrong cushion profile was used. Most experienced mechanics certainly knows to tighten up the rail bolts properly.

There may be some mechanics out there that have done recover jobs on many tables but have rarely if ever replaced cushion rubbers to know which profile to order for which brand of table.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More than likely the wrong cushion profile was used. Most experienced mechanics certainly knows to tighten up the rail bolts properly.

There may be some mechanics out there that have done recover jobs on many tables but have rarely if ever replaced cushion rubbers to know which profile to order for which brand of table.
a lot are clueless as to rail bolts too. seen too many mech's just hand tighten and say they're good. for a table to play right the rb's must be equally snug.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Installing K66 cushions on a standard Brunswick rail (which requires K55) will leave the nose height 1/16" high. It will make the table bank slow as mud.

I would recommend MBS K55, for speed on a budget. Otherwise, you could spend big money on Artemis or Kleber.

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
a lot are clueless as to rail bolts too. seen too many mech's just hand tighten and say they're good. for a table to play right the rb's must be equally snug.
Played a league match on a table last night that had a dead rail. Checked the rail bolts and all 3 were about half an inch away from tight. I hand tightened them but the rail still sucked!

Last edited:

John Matranga

don't think k66 is right cushion. that's a Century and they came with SuperSpeed's. call Ken here:https://www.classicbilliards.net/cushions-supplies/determine-rail-profile.html they do make Artemis for it but they are very expensive. Are the rail bolts tight? That could be a reason for slower bounce.
Thanks for your reply. I visited Ken's web site. He mentioned the nose height of the cushion needs to be 1 3/8 to 1 7/16 above the table surface. After setting up a ruler and taking numerous pictures of the nose height, it appears to me that the nose height is spot on. A picture is shown of my measurement. The rails are very tight, by the way. Interestingly, Ken's web site also indicates that Brunswick tables typically use K55 rails....
Nose height measurment.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi guys,

The table mechanic (recommended to me by two different friends) changed the cushions recently, but my stimp meter shows the new rails are actually slower than the ones replaced! ...
I'm wondering how slow. If you shoot straight up and down the table, how many lengths can you get? Can you hit the end rail you are standing by two times (4 lengths)? The far rail three times (5 lengths)? Less? In between?

John Matranga

I'm wondering how slow. If you shoot straight up and down the table, how many lengths can you get? Can you hit the end rail you are standing by two times (4 lengths)? The far rail three times (5 lengths)? Less? In between?
Using my break cue and starting at the first diamond, I can hit the cue ball four lengths of the table and return to my original starting point

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
so then the table speed is correct. you are then wanting a table speed above what is normal.
and if your banks go about according to the diamonds then all is good.

a person can go crazy trying to fine tune a table. and never get there.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your reply. I visited Ken's web site. He mentioned the nose height of the cushion needs to be 1 3/8 to 1 7/16 above the table surface. After setting up a ruler and taking numerous pictures of the nose height, it appears to me that the nose height is spot on. A picture is shown of my measurement. The rails are very tight, by the way. Interestingly, Ken's web site also indicates that Brunswick tables typically use K55 rails....
View attachment 671544
So do you know for sure that your mechanic knew to use k55 profile cushions? What brand cushions did you use? I don’t think you provided that info in your initial post.

John Matranga

so then the table speed is correct. you are then wanting a table speed above what is normal.
and if your banks go about according to the diamonds then all is good.

a person can go crazy trying to fine tune a table. and never get there.
True, however, I would like to replicate the speed of the tables on which I play