best shaft for easier backspin

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are all pretty good as far a shafts drawing the ball.
radius on the tip
chalk the tip completely
cue low
stroke through the ball
let the cue do the work just move the tip through the ball

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Over the years I've observed that while a player with one type of relaxed, repeatable & accurate stroke gets his optimum draw with a whippy shaft, another player with a quite different type of stroke(equally relaxed, repeatable & accurate) seems to get his optimal draw with a stiffer-hitting shaft.

Hard to assign absolutes with these kinds of disparities.

One of the simplest and most reliable pieces of draw advice I've ever heard & benefited from, is well worth trying for folks seeking a draw remedy irrespective of any shaft they're working with:

"Hit twice as low and half as hard."

One of those seeming generalities that really does work even with less-than-ideal stroking mechanics.

Arnaldo

:thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2:

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Green

I saw an ad recently for a new shaft coming out before the fall league season, I think it will help this situation.

Its called the BS-5000. BS of course stands for BACK SPIN....... and thats exactly what this shaft is designed to do. It draws the ball so well, it can draw 4 lengths of the table (provided you supply the horsepower. ;))

Unfortunately, the shaft is incapable of putting top spin on the ball, and side spin with the BS-5000 is something that needs to be avoided. Side spin, intentional or otherwise can put undo pressure on the ferrule of the BS-5000, and that automatically voids the warranty.

As long as you only use the BS-5000 as instructed, no one will get hurt. The shaft tends to explode if used incorrectly. This means you might want to wear protective eyewear while playing.

Best of all, the BS-5000 is going to be on sale for the low low price of $1299.99. I know it seems spendy, but when you need a shaft that can draw your rock....... you need the best, the BS-5000. :thumbup:

Sez I gotta spread a little around first,........ Welldone ! :thumbup:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Will changing one's stroke/ grip pressure when trying to spin the ball possible cause some to not hit where intended. Yes, for some...

but...

Speed/Mass/Contact Point...

Will not yield the same results with totally different implements of delivery of those components.

Different effective end masses will yield different results.

There has been rather much propaganda put out for ulterior motives.

Perhaps propaganda is too strong of a word. Perhaps incomplete or lacking information would be more politically correct.

We need to try to stay on the apples to apples shelf of discussion.

Naturally if one is not hitting where needed there will not be the desired outcome.

In comparing implements. I think we need to surmise that we are talking about the same hit & one that is in the appropriate location.

In golf if one wants to hit the ball higher one can make adjustments to their setup & swing or... one can keep the same set up & swing & simply get clubs with more lofted faces.

Should one have a good stroke? Absolutely.

Can a change in equipment help out until one develops a good stroke? Absolutely.

Is immediate improvement something that might keep one playing the game vs possibly giving it up before they get a good stroke? Absolutely.

There is nothing that says that an individual can not do both things simultaneously.

steveL75121

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can't go wrong with a Elkmaster tip on just about any cue. They are the softest tip and the cheapest.:)

All the best,
Steve

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
You can't go wrong with a Elkmaster tip on just about any cue. They are the softest tip and the cheapest.:)

All the best,
Steve

That's what I used for about 45 years & even for a while on a graphite cue that a left in the car in the ever changing climate of the deep south near the Gulf of Mexico.

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
No matter the shaft

3 important things to draw your cue ball is the 3 L's

1- Low (on the cue ball) 2- Level (cue) 3- Lose (grip)

With the 3 L's a nice smooth stroke and with half the speed will = Great results

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will changing one's stroke/ grip pressure when trying to spin the ball possible cause some to not hit where intended. Yes, for some...

but...

Speed/Mass/Contact Point...

Will not yield the same results with totally different implements of delivery of those components.

Different effective end masses will yield different results.

There has been rather much propaganda put out for ulterior motives.

Perhaps propaganda is too strong of a word. Perhaps incomplete or lacking information would be more politically correct.

We need to try to stay on the apples to apples shelf of discussion.

Naturally if one is not hitting where needed there will not be the desired outcome.

In comparing implements. I think we need to surmise that we are talking about the same hit & one that is in the appropriate location.

In golf if one wants to hit the ball higher one can make adjustments to their setup & swing or... one can keep the same set up & swing & simply get clubs with more lofted faces.

Should one have a good stroke? Absolutely.

Can a change in equipment help out until one develops a good stroke? Absolutely.

Is immediate improvement something that might keep one playing the game vs possibly giving it up before they get a good stroke? Absolutely.

There is nothing that says that an individual can not do both things simultaneously.

The materials have minimal impact on the outcome, I could just as easily draw the ball with a broom handle as with a holy grail shaft given the same tip size.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Low, Level, Loose...

is merely one method & as has been pointed out... if the tip/shaft is not good... one may not get "Great results".

Also there are times when that method is not the best approach as when there is not much distance between the OB & CB & one wants a bit of quick draw.

It's sometimes better to have a bit of an elevated cue & to be hitting down onto the ball.

There is a difference between getting lessons & getting playing lessons. IMO there are too many that are confined by doctrine & ideology.

Versatility is almost always an asset when playing athletic games. Professional players are almost never locked in by doctrine or ideology. They simply find what works best for every given situation as one size does not fit all.

We are individuals & as such have different bio-mechanical capabilities. There are also fast twitch muscles & slow twitch muscles.

Some say let the cue do the work. There no other sport that readily come to mind that the the athlete not want to have control of the implement. That does not mean to inhibit the implement except when that is beneficial.

If one sees pool as a board game then one probably does not see it as an athletic sport & probably does not see any need for any athleticism.
But look at the pros & how they play the game. They play games of baseball & games of football & basketball & tennis. They are games of athleticism.
What usually separates amateurs from pros is athleticism. In the game of pool that athleticism is virtually invisible except when the results are seen.

So... one can approach the game as a board game or a game of athleticism. Have control of the implement for athletic reasons or just let the implement do whatever it can.

Two separate 'ideologies' where one is locked in doctrine while the other is to do whatever it takes for the situation at hand. Different situations often require a different approach.

Many wonder why they can not play like the pros but are forever locked into the doctrines that they have been 'taught'.

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
The materials have minimal impact on the outcome, I could just as easily draw the ball with a broom handle as with a holy grail shaft given the same tip size.

I basically said the same thing about myself.

But to think that differences do not yield differences is simply irrational & illogical thinking.

Different shafts & tips have different EFFECTIVE end masses that deliver the forces differently.

If one has a limited stroke, a change of shaft/cue & even butt can yield more benefit from the same stroke forces.

As I said before, we need to be on the same apple to apple shelf in discussions so as to not give false impressions.

Last edited:

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I basically said the same thing about myself.

But to think that differences do not yield differences is simply irrational & illogical thinking.

Different shafts & tips have different EFFECTIVE end masses that deliver the forces differently.

If one has a limited stroke, a change of shaft/cue & even butt can yield more benefit from the same stroke forces.

As I said before, we need to be on the same apple to apple shelf in discussions so as to not give false impressions.

You can bash away all day trying to break the laws of physics but Newton will prevail and as I said it's "minimal" most of it is in the head as feel plays a part, yes they feel different but the net effect is minimal.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
You can bash away all day trying to break the laws of physics but Newton will prevail and as I said it's "minimal" most of it is in the head as feel plays a part, yes they feel different but the net effect is minimal.

I have 3 years of physics education so I am NOT bashing away trying to break the laws of physics.

On the contrary, I am trying to keep others from ignoring the laws of physics.

What you call "minimal" can mean the difference between winning & losing.

How much is a "minimal" difference to you?

How many turns of the ball on a draw shot?

As I said, IMO too many are locked in on doctrines that they have heard or have been taught.

If I gave you two loose golf shafts, 1 reg. flex & 1 stiff flex, you could probably not tell the difference between them.

But they would make a rather significant difference if one or the other does not fit your swing capabilities. Why do you think Pro Golfers hit extra stiff golf shafts & most amateurs hit reg. flex golf shafts? Why do most pro golfers hit high bend point shafts & most amateurs hit mid or low flex point shafts?

It is because of differentials in the character of their swings & the relative club head speed. One should not suffer by trying to hit extra stiff high bend point golf shafts while trying to work on & build their swing to the level of a Pro.

Cue sports are lacking way way behind in the physics laws & how they should apply to the different bio-mechanic abilities of individuals.

Locked in on doctrine is akin to haveing a closed mind & closed minds resists terribly admitting that the doctrines they have adopted may be wrong & have been wrong all along.

All the Best Wishes for You & Yours,
Rick

Last edited:

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 3 years of physics education so I am NOT bashing away trying to break the laws of physics.

On the contrary, I am trying to keep others from ignoring the laws of physics.

What you call "minimal" can mean the difference between winning & losing.

How much is a "minimal" difference to you?

How many turns of the ball on a draw shot?

As I said, IMO too many are locked in on doctrines that they have heard or have been taught.

If I gave you two loose golf shafts, 1 reg. flex & 1 stiff flex, you could probably not tell the difference between them.

But they would make a rather significant difference if one or the other does not fit your swing capabilities. Why do you think Pro Golfers hit extra stiff golf shafts & most amateurs hit reg. flex golf shafts? Why do most pro golfers hit high bend point shafts & most amateurs hit mid or low flex point shafts?

It is because of differentials in the character of their swings & the relative club head speed. One should not suffer by trying to hit extra stiff high bend point golf shafts while trying to work on & build their swing to the level of a Pro.

Cue sports are lacking way way behind in the physics laws & how they should apply to the different bio-mechanic abilities of individuals.

Locked in on doctrine is akin to haveing a closed mind & closed minds resists terribly admitting that the doctrines they have adopted may be wrong & have been wrong all along.

All the Best Wishes for You & Yours,
Rick

You may want to sue your physics teacher, the dynamics of golf balls/clubs are completely different to billiards, simply no comparison.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
You may want to sue your physics teacher, the dynamics of golf balls/clubs are completely different to billiards, simply no comparison.

I did not say that they were exactly the same...

but there is a correlation as to how the implement relates to the bio-mechanical forces put on the implement & how it responds to the striking of the ball.

If you can not see & understand that, then that is you. Others may see & understand.

Like I said, to think that differences yield no difference is simply irrational & illogical thinking.

It's difficult to let go of doctrines that one has been taught &/or have adopted as absolute.

Thank God for those that question doctrine & search & find the truth of matters.

Again,

Best Wishes for You & Yours,
Rick

Last edited:

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Give it up. This guy never quits once he's got something in his head.

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did not say that they were exactly the same...

but there is a correlation as to how the implement relates to the bio-mechanical forces put on the implement & how it responds to the striking of the ball.

If you can not see & understand that, then that is you. Others may see & understand.

Like I said, to think that differences yield no difference is simply irrational & illogical thinking.

It's difficult to let go of doctrines that one has been taught & have adopted as absolute.

Thank God for those that question doctrine & search & find the truth of matters.

Again,

Best Wishes for You & Yours,
Rick

biomechanics
noun plural but singular or plural in construction bio·me·chan·ics \ˈbī-ō-mə-ˈka-niks\
Definition of biomechanics
: the mechanics of biological and especially muscular activity (as in locomotion or exercise); also : the scientific study of this
bio·me·chan·i·cal play \-ni-kəl\ adjective
bio·me·chan·i·cal·ly play \-ni-k(ə-)lē\ adverb

Hmm this has nothing to do with billiards it's just word salad, cue ball only sees speed/mass/angle and point of contact, end of.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
biomechanics
noun plural but singular or plural in construction bio·me·chan·ics \ˈbī-ō-mə-ˈka-niks\
Definition of biomechanics
: the mechanics of biological and especially muscular activity (as in locomotion or exercise); also : the scientific study of this
bio·me·chan·i·cal play \-ni-kəl\ adjective
bio·me·chan·i·cal·ly play \-ni-k(ə-)lē\ adverb

Hmm this has nothing to do with billiards it's just word salad, cue ball only sees speed/mass/angle and point of contact, end of.

It seems that you are a disciple of the preaching of completely non true doctrine.

I suggest you read the thread by Lamas on shaft flex for an off center hit.

Different implements yield different results for the same bio-mechanical delivery of the implements.

To think otherwise is out of the realm of reality.

That does not mean that one can not get the same results from different implements but it would take changes in the bio-mechanical delivery or changes in the parameters that you mentioned.

The cue ball SEES changes that occur DURING contact.

SAME is not = to similar.

To apply simple hard material collision thinking to pliable material like a leather tip & a pieced of wood that can bend is incorrect application.

Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Those electrons moving through copper wires are sure making a lot of noise in this thread.

:grin-square:

As far as the best shaft for easier backspin, I could not provide an opinion, because I don't play with a lot of variation in my equipment. I settled in on a set characteristics with my cues and shafts a long time ago.

I will say if you want to develop good draw, learn to hit the cueball very low and as level as you can. I am talking about having the bottom of your ferrule at contact with the cue ball to be more more then 2-3 mm above the table surface. That is not to say there there are times when you have to jack up to get good backspin on a shot. The lay of the balls and the characteristics of the table will dictate that as you all know.

Most are afraid to hit the CB this low, because of the chance of a miscue, so they hit the ball higher and closer to center and try to pound it to get backspin. Develop an accurate repeatable stroke first, and see how much your game improves.

Last edited: