Best way to care for cues?

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have somewhat of a dilemma right now. I do not have a cue case, and cannot get a decent one right now. My basement is not finished yet, so I do not have the cue rack on the wall. Given the current situation, what is the best way to store my better cues? I currently leave them broken down laying on the floor on a carpet. Is this OK? Should I rig it so I can put the cue rack up and store them still put together on the rack. I heard they should be stored vertically.

Also, what general maintenance things should I do with my cue. I play 5-6 days a week, and do not want my shaft to get too dirty or sticky. ANy suggestions would help. Thanks!!
 
Vertical or on the floor shouldn't make a huge difference as long as they're flat either way. I'd be more concerned about the temp / humidity in your basement though and would be a big reason for me buying a case. There's also several different opinions on what to do as far as cue care. I burnish mine with leather after playing and they stay in great shape. I'm sure others will have more advice too.
 
mantis99 said:
I have somewhat of a dilemma right now. I do not have a cue case, and cannot get a decent one right now. My basement is not finished yet, so I do not have the cue rack on the wall. Given the current situation, what is the best way to store my better cues? I currently leave them broken down laying on the floor on a carpet. Is this OK? Should I rig it so I can put the cue rack up and store them still put together on the rack. I heard they should be stored vertically.

Also, what general maintenance things should I do with my cue. I play 5-6 days a week, and do not want my shaft to get too dirty or sticky. ANy suggestions would help. Thanks!!

Be more specific on your "better cues." I've owned a bunch of cues before and they've all gotten their fair share of abuse. I won't talk about some of the things my cues have gone through for fear of getting flamed or banned. :D :D But they all ended up fine. None of them warped. One cracked but that's because I threw it and then decided to test it's flexibility (cracked players = $45 at my pawn shop). If you are paranoid about your cues, just get yourself a $10 case. Leaving them on the carpet, or on your table is fine. You could even spoon with it when you sleep (wouldn't recommend this one). On a wall rack is also fine, or leaning against a chair or table. Don't lean it on the wall, and don't keep it in your car.

Edit: Maintenance: 1000+ sandpaper for your shaft. Rub the shaft with a piece of leather until it gets warm. Don't use water. Don't do anything with the butt except wiping it with a rag or towel. After a lot of use, you're shaft starts turning blue from the chalk or red from beating small children. Mr. Clean's magic eraser works well. I happen to like that blue coloring though; makes the cue look old and dirty. Find yourself a good cue repairman to replace tips and ferrules and such. But remember, it's a cue, not a baby. You're supposed to use it.
 
Last edited:
just make sure IF they are on the floor or anywhere else that a heat duct does NOT blow on them..you would want a constant temp.
 
Dont let anyone use, touch, feel and breath on them. Including wifes, children, family members, friends, and so called friends.
 
Drew said:
Be more specific on your "better cues." I've owned a bunch of cues before and they've all gotten their fair share of abuse. I won't talk about some of the things my cues have gone through for fear of getting flamed or banned. :D :D But they all ended up fine. None of them warped. One cracked but that's because I threw it and then decided to test it's flexibility (cracked players = $45 at my pawn shop). If you are paranoid about your cues, just get yourself a $10 case. Leaving them on the carpet, or on your table is fine. You could even spoon with it when you sleep (wouldn't recommend this one). On a wall rack is also fine, or leaning against a chair or table. Don't lean it on the wall, and don't keep it in your car.

Edit: Maintenance: 1000+ sandpaper for your shaft. Rub the shaft with a piece of leather until it gets warm. Don't use water. Don't do anything with the butt except wiping it with a rag or towel. After a lot of use, you're shaft starts turning blue from the chalk or red from beating small children. Mr. Clean's magic eraser works well. I happen to like that blue coloring though; makes the cue look old and dirty. Find yourself a good cue repairman to replace tips and ferrules and such. But remember, it's a cue, not a baby. You're supposed to use it.

I nominate this for post of the year! :cool:
 
mantis99 said:
I have somewhat of a dilemma right now. I do not have a cue case, and cannot get a decent one right now.

I have a cheap case I bought at a Kmart or a Walmart many years ago. It'll hold 1 maybe 2 cues. It's nothing special, not leather or anything like that. You can have it if you want it. Just PM me your name and address and I'll be sure to send it out this weekend.

Craig
 
Back
Top