Best way to learn from pro TV matches, IMO

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best way to learn from pro TV matches, IMO

Step 1: Watch a match with Aramith Tournament balls. 10x easier to tell which ball is which.

Step 2: Watch a match with a fixed camera, not a full production boom like Accu-Stats does. It might be more interesting watching with full production, but for learning, the fixed view is better.

Step 3. Put it on mute. The commentators, even if they are the best in the business, will spoonfeed you information, and distract you.

Step 4. Imagine how you would run the table, and then see if the pro does what you imagined. Repeat for every shot, and every rack, until your focus wanes. This step is the bread and butter.
 
Step 5: Thank your lucky stars you don't have to play pool against some of these monsters for a living.
 
>Step 4. Imagine how you would run the table, and then see if the pro does what you imagined. Repeat for every shot, and every rack, until your focus wanes. This step is the bread and butter.

I do this but you don't need the other steps. What I do is after the balls have settled following the break I just pause the video and plot the run. I unpause and see what they do with the first ball. Rinse and repeat. If the pro deviates from my plan I re-plot the run.
 
It should go without saying but since it probably doesn't I would add to step 4 that when the pro plays a different shot, strategy, pattern, or position route than you would have, don't just try to remember what they did in a given situation but try to figure out WHY they did it that way instead of the way that you would have played it. Their way was almost always better in the sense that it increases the chances for winning (except for rare circumstances where the right choice for their skill level would be different than the right choice for your skill level but this generally only applies with very novice players). Unless you understand why and how their choice increased the odds for winning in that situation you haven't really learned anything and aren't likely to retain it and remember what to do when that situation comes up for you down the road. Understanding the "why" about things is the key to learning and remembering.
 
It should go without saying but since it probably doesn't I would add to step 4 that when the pro plays a different shot, strategy, pattern, or position route than you would have, don't just try to remember what they did in a given situation but try to figure out WHY they did it that way instead of the way that you would have played it. Their way was almost always better in the sense that it increases the chances for winning (except for rare circumstances where the right choice for their skill level would be different than the right choice for your skill level but this generally only applies with very novice players). Unless you understand why and how their choice increased the odds for winning in that situation you haven't really learned anything and aren't likely to retain it and remember what to do when that situation comes up for you down the road. Understanding the "why" about things is the key to learning and remembering.

Great point. For me it's never really about memorizing every specific situation, but rather learning theory that dictates your shot selection. Whether it be snooker or pool, one of the biggest differences between pros and top amateurs is the pros are always choosing high percentage shots. I see a lot of decent players choosing cueball paths that leave next to no room for error.
 
There are limits to this kind of thing. You'll often see a pro hit a lower-percentage shot with a higher-percentage positional play, which may or may not be a good shot choice for the amateur.

That said if your pool mind's eye is not intuitively anticipating the shot a pro is about to play, which often follows the most natural pattern, that's a message that your table awareness needs improvement.
 
When I grew up there were no pro players in my hometown. I had to learn from Accustats. What I did was this- I watched them multiple times.

The first time I would watch the matches with the sound off, and I would pause the tape prior to each shot. I'd ask myself what I would do and why. Then if the pro did something different I'd make notes on any shots that surprised me that I didn't see, or that I didn't feel comfortable with. I'd practice these later.

The second time I'd leave the commentary on and see how their shot selection compared to mine and that of the pro at the table.

It's hard work but it all comes down to how bad you want it.

Of course there's more to learn than shot selection. Watching fundamentals, and just seeing how they compose themselves around the table is priceless. I highly recommend accustats matches as a learning tool.
 
Back
Top