Better money in snooker

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do the pro players in the US not learn to play snooker? Seems that snooker pays way more than US pool. I realize that they would have to go over the big pond to play, but if you can win 100k in a snooker tourney, wouldn't it be feasible to try? If SVB played snooker for about 6 months, I think he could compete with top snooker players. What do yall think?

Snooker pays way more than Pool
Golf pays way more than snooker

Why not play golf?

The snooker vs Pool debate round 815 - superb!

Evert

Registered
It's all about what they love and want to do.Some professions have pretty good salaries but are not desired or maybe hard to do.
I watch snooker a lot,most of players start in early age and they accept that snooker as a game makes lot of depression to them .

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do the pro players in the US not learn to play snooker? Seems that snooker pays way more than US pool. I realize that they would have to go over the big pond to play, but if you can win 100k in a snooker tourney, wouldn't it be feasible to try? If SVB played snooker for about 6 months, I think he could compete with top snooker players. What do yall think?

Not as easy as you may think, I remember when Miz gave it a try. The games are quite different and there are tons of great snooker players who can't make a living. You are looking at the top and just like pool that is where the money is.

Add to that, who wants to play snooker when you are a pool player. The number of pool players who could go there and make any kind of living would probably be like the same number here who can make a living at pool with a lot more over head.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did I ask a wrong question or are you just a dick?

He was making a point. Why do you assume that any pool player can just go there and beat champion snooker players who have been playing the game all their lives? They might as well give golf a try if they have any talent for it or poker or any other profession for that matter.

fasted71465

Fast Ed
Silver Member
Not as easy as you may think, I remember when Miz gave it a try. The games are quite different and there are tons of great snooker players who can't make a living. You are looking at the top and just like pool that is where the money is.

Add to that, who wants to play snooker when you are a pool player. The number of pool players who could go there and make any kind of living would probably be like the same number here who can make a living at pool with a lot more over head.

I didn't know if any Pros ever tried. And yea, I don't think I could switch to snooker either, but I might would try before having to sleep in my truck. With that said, I would just get a job.

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member

It's like boxing.. 2% of the guys make 98% of the cash. Not too mention it takes the best fundamentals and mental acuity to be in that 2%. Realistically, theres only room for 1% being that Ronnie still plays strong.

fasted71465

Fast Ed
Silver Member
He was making a point. Why do you assume that any pool player can just go there and beat champion snooker players who have been playing the game all their lives? They might as well give golf a try if they have any talent for it or poker or any other profession for that matter.

Or an astronaut if you look at it that way. I know that you are saying, it would be too difficult to do.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't know if any Pros ever tried. And yea, I don't think I could switch to snooker either, but I might would try before having to sleep in my truck. With that said, I would just get a job.

Here are some of the numbers

Stephen Hendry is the highest-earning snooker player in the modern history of the game. During his professional career which lasted from 1985 to 2012, he accumulated career prize earnings of £8 million. (About $13 million ) Hendry became the youngest professional snooker player in 1985, aged 15, and in 1990, he became the youngest-ever snooker World Champion, aged 21. He has won 7 World Championship titles, a record in the modern era. Overall, he has won 36 ranking and 38 non-ranking tournaments. The 45-year-old was the World Number 1 for eight successive years between 1990 and 1998, and again in 2006-07. His highest break to date is 147, and he has compiled 775 century breaks during his career.

That is after a 27 year career.

Now drop to the tenth all time highest.

Alan McManus is a Scottish professional snooker player who turned professional in 1990. He is ranked 41st in the current Snooker World Rankings, and his highest ranking to date is 6th (in 1993-94 and 1996-97). The major achievement of his career was the 9-8 victory over Stephen Hendry, in which he claimed the 1994 Masters title at Wembley. The 43-year-old’s highest break to date is 143, and he has accumulated 167 century breaks. In his 24 years of professional play, McManus has gathered career prize earnings of £2 million.

These are the best of the best. I cold not imagine a American pool player going there and finishing well enough in a enough tournaments to make anything even close to what would be a great living. At best they would struggle along just like they do here at pool with far less chances of winning.

I have been to Europe and been to a number of Snooker tournaments including at the Crucible. To win one of these tournaments is no fluke. They don't play like US pool short sets where anyone may win, these are long grueling tournaments and the winners are truly the winners. The commitment that would be required for a pool player to switch to snooker and go there and compete would have to be incredible.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Shane has zero chance of being a top snooker player! I don't care if he plays for the next five years. He's way too far behind the curve. At best he would be a good amateur player (like Corey Deuel) if he worked hard at it for maybe a year.

Much easier (but not really easy) for a top snooker player to play pool, which is not nearly as difficult a game, unless you're talking One Pocket. They already shoot VERY straight. They just have to learn our larger cue ball and how to control it. There have been many former snooker players who have had success at pool.

Even our esteemed Efren took a shot or two playing snooker. He did well, considering his lack of training, but still was far behind the best players in Europe and Asia. He is the one pool player who may have been able to make the transition if he started at maybe 20 or 21 years old.

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane has zero chance of being a top snooker player! I don't care if he plays for the next five years. He's way too far behind the curve. At best he would be a good amateur player (like Corey Deuel) if he worked hard at it for maybe a year.

Much easier (but not really easy) for a top snooker player to play pool, which is not nearly as difficult a game, unless you're talking One Pocket. They already shoot VERY straight. They just have to learn our larger cue ball and how to control it. There have been many former snooker players who have had success at pool.

Even our esteemed Efren took a shot or two playing snooker. He did well, considering his lack of training, but still was far behind the best players in Europe and Asia. He is the one pool player who may have been able to make the transition if he started at maybe 20 or 21 years old.

Steve Davis after playing Miz commented that Miz played about the speed of a good pub player.
Danny D. by the way could play some snooker. When he was up in NY he would drive into Canada and often play with Cliff Thorburn and they would gamble. I don't know the specifics you would have to ask him. I am sure there will be some good stories though.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Steve Davis after playing Miz commented that Miz played about the speed of a good pub player.
Danny D. by the way could play some snooker. When he was up in NY he would drive into Canada and often play with Cliff Thorburn and they would gamble. I don't know the specifics you would have to ask him. I am sure there will be some good stories though.

I think Danny got 15 or 20 points. He told me about playing Cliff years ago. I think Danny won more than he lost. He was a helluva gambler as you well know.

TheThaiger

Banned
Here are some of the numbers

Stephen Hendry is the highest-earning snooker player in the modern history of the game. During his professional career which lasted from 1985 to 2012, he accumulated career prize earnings of £8 million. (About $13 million ) Hendry became the youngest professional snooker player in 1985, aged 15, and in 1990, he became the youngest-ever snooker World Champion, aged 21. He has won 7 World Championship titles, a record in the modern era. Overall, he has won 36 ranking and 38 non-ranking tournaments. The 45-year-old was the World Number 1 for eight successive years between 1990 and 1998, and again in 2006-07. His highest break to date is 147, and he has compiled 775 century breaks during his career.

That is after a 27 year career.

Now drop to the tenth all time highest.

Alan McManus is a Scottish professional snooker player who turned professional in 1990. He is ranked 41st in the current Snooker World Rankings, and his highest ranking to date is 6th (in 1993-94 and 1996-97). The major achievement of his career was the 9-8 victory over Stephen Hendry, in which he claimed the 1994 Masters title at Wembley. The 43-year-old’s highest break to date is 143, and he has accumulated 167 century breaks. In his 24 years of professional play, McManus has gathered career prize earnings of £2 million.

These are the best of the best. I cold not imagine a American pool player going there and finishing well enough in a enough tournaments to make anything even close to what would be a great living. At best they would struggle along just like they do here at pool with far less chances of winning.

I have been to Europe and been to a number of Snooker tournaments including at the Crucible. To win one of these tournaments is no fluke. They don't play like US pool short sets where anyone may win, these are long grueling tournaments and the winners are truly the winners. The commitment that would be required for a pool player to switch to snooker and go there and compete would have to be incredible.

Where did you get those stats? Surprised 'Angles' McManus is in the top ten earners. You could've knocked me down with a feather, in fact. That is actually rather a depressing stat, given a) £2m is hardly a fortune, b) he's been out of the top 16 for well over a decade and c) he's always been dog shit.

I suppose it goes to show how dominant the top 5/6 players have been since snooker has had big purses.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Where did you get those stats? Surprised 'Angles' McManus is in the top ten earners. You could've knocked me down with a feather, in fact. That is actually rather a depressing stat, given a) £2m is hardly a fortune, b) he's been out of the top 16 for well over a decade and c) he's always been dog shit.

I suppose it goes to show how dominant the top 5/6 players have been since snooker has had big purses.

http://www.cuetracker.net/pages/prizeMoney.php?alltime&status=p

To be fair, inflation isn't really taken into account I don't think. Also, there are more tournaments than ever now so players are earning more. Though I think they are incurring more expenses because the events are localized entirely in the UK.

To the topic at hand, I think the proper analogy would be "why don't badminton players or Squash players take up Tennis?".

Even if there was a guarantee that a pool player could make that the transition after 2-5 years of serious training and amateur competition, there will never be a guarantee they will see any rewards for their endeavor. That 2-5 years will likely result in a significantly reduced income as well.