Betting your own vs being staked?

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always bet my own money when i gambled at pool unless i happen to be busted which was the case a few times and i found out real quick being staked was not for me, while being staked i felt the pressure on me the whole dam time, i thought that playing with other peoples money would of been no problem, but boy was i wrong, and my game was not as good when i was being backed vs me betting my own, even when i know someone is betting on me on the side that tends to put added pressure on me (i guess maybe this happens becaues i dont want to lose anybodys money) so i really believe it is more pressure on a pool player when he is not betting his own! And when iam playing i have no problem betting my whole pocket on 1 long set, and let me say there is hardly no pressure on me becaues iam betting my own and i have been busted many times before, so what do i have to fear, one things for sure i dont have to answer to anyone(to why i lost) and hear a bunch of i should of did this and i should of did that, Being staked is not for me, let the other guy have all that added pressure on him!
 
Last edited:
Ive seen guys here in Baltimore play much better while being staked and there are some players here that just will not bet their own money but will play great while betting someone elses money, I guess myself and these players that like to be staked, dont feel the same kinds of pressure when being staked?
 
Its a crappy feeling when you lose someone's money, far worse than your own IMO. I don't like being staked. The pressure gets to me and consequently I'll play bad. If someone wants to get in on the action then fair enough, as long as they know I'm not playing for them.

I guess it comes down to a persons personality traits as to whether they feel extra pressure or not. Its just not my cup of tea.
 
I always felt like they were watching my every move and could feel them "react"

I have always bet my own money when i gambled at pool unless i happen to be busted which was the case a few times and i found out real quick being staked was not for me, while being staked i felt the pressure on me the whole dam time, i thought that playing with other peoples money would of been no problem, but boy was i wrong, and my game was not as good when i was being backed vs me betting my own, even when i know someone is betting on me on the side that tends to put added pressure on me (i guess maybe this happens becaues i dont want to lose anybodys money) so i really believe it is more pressure on a pool player when he is not betting his own! And when iam playing i have no problem betting my whole pocket on 1 long set, and let me say there is hardly no pressure on me becaues iam betting my own and i have been busted many times before, so what do i have to fear, one things for sure i dont have to answer to anyone(to why i lost) and hear a bunch of i should of did this and i should of did that, Being staked is not for me, let the other guy have all that added pressure on him!

I know what you're saying. For the most part I've always bet "my own" and there is a freedom to being able to miss a shot or shape and not feel like you have to expain "why" to someone. I've had a few partners in the past that made me nervous when they bet on me. I always felt like they were watching my every move and could feel them "react" if I made a mistake.

On the other hand, there's a few that bet on me that make me feel better about the game and give the impression they are always on my side. I'm still betting my own, and as you are familiar with there's usually friends/partners that want to get "part of the action," which is usually the right thing to do.
 
Back
Top