Billiard Balls

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Im looking to get a new set of balls and im not sure what to look for.
Are balls made of polyester resin good?
Any help would be welcomed.I bought a new set from walmart and just realized there must be some difference in billiard balls because they where terrible.

strokerace

"The Hustler"
Silver Member
Any help would be welcomed.I bought a new set from walmart and just realized there must be some difference in billiard balls because they where terrible.

Arimith Premium are the best out there for the bucks..i have the Super
Pro set as well and can't really tell much difference in the hit..cheap
balls are the worst thing you can do to your game..check Seiberts or Ozone Billiards..SA

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member

Hi Anthony!

Sorry to hear of the bad purchase. Yes, there is a difference in materials used to make billiard balls, and polyester resin is very susceptible to quality issues. About the best polyester balls you can get are made by Vigma -- I've heard good things about Vigma's products.

However, you'll probably want to go with genuine Brunswick Centennials (with the Blue Circle cue ball included in the set), or just about any Aramith set (where you can even get the Aramith ProCup measles ball included in the set). (Footnote: Brunswick Centennials are made by Saluc in Belgium now, the same company that makes Aramith products.)

I have a set of the IPT-custom Aramith Tournament Edition balls, and I'm sold on 'em -- absolutely love 'em. Now granted, I got the IPT-branded version of these, which were sold by the IPT up until last year, when they ran out. But still, they're great -- very consistent, and they rack tightly when I use the Delta-13 rack (read: I haven't found an undersized/worn ball yet, after a couple years of use).

I hope that helps!
-Sean

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Centennials and Super Pros are the top balls on the market and are comparable. I believe it comes down to which you like the looks of the most. I prefer the Centennials.

wontonny

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a set of Vigma Platinum balls and I'm quite happy with them. They are certainly better than the house set of balls, since I don't have a home table. The only very small issue I have with them is that the cue ball doesn't seem to keep it's resilient finish very well. I've only played with them about 2-3 times a week for the few months I've had them. My friend commented as well, "why is your cueball so dull looking?" (can anyone shed some light on this?) Other than that the numbered balls have VERY vibrant colors and are pleasing to look at. If I had a home table, I'd get nothing less than the Aramith Pro set.

Keep in mind I'm not to the level, nor will I ever try to take notice of the infinitesmal "playability" characteristics between brands of balls.

pulldapin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I paid $130 for Aramith super pro's. About the best price you can get them for new. I use them at a local pool hall. I highly recomend them and you can probably find them for about $135 if you shop around. Good luck. Carl

vincentwu817

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billiard balls are something you don't need to save on. They last a long time, and if you play a lot, the price different isn't that much. Go for the choices people gave you above (the aramith pros or brunswick). You want to have a nice set of balls that will play consistently and true.

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member
According to the Saluc website, the Aramith Super Pro balls are made of the same material and to the same quality specifications as the Brunswick Centennials.

You will pay a premium price for the Brunswick name and the Centennial styling.... But I really do like the look of the darted Centennials. I can't explain it...

Aramith offers a new set of balls made out of a material they call "Duramith." I don't know if these are really better, or if it is marketing hype.

Spend the money on Saluc balls. You won't regret it.

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
Balls

Google Proficient Billiards.
They have Brunswick Centennials for $215 or so with
tax and shipment to your door included. I just bought
a set and that's the best price from a reputable dealer
I could find.

Ron F

kevpull

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Centenials

Buy a set of Centenials and by done. I have also had Aramith Super Pro. Either set is good.