Billy Thorp Interview

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think I see Dan DiLiberto, Tony Robles, George SanSouci, Earl Strickland, Frankie Hernandez, Howard Vickery, Buddy Hall, Jim Rempe, Nick Varner, JR Calvert, Ted Garrahan, Mike Lebron, CJ Wiley and Johnny Archer. A lot of others look familiar, but the names aren't coming to me. Might be Larry Hubbart sitting next to Rempe.

Last edited:

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
CJ, Tony Ellin, and the dude with the cue looks like Ron Rosa.:unsure:

Who's the long hair Fabio dude next to Massey...?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I recognize DiLiberto, Strickland, Buddy Hall, Willie Munson, Rempe, Varner, of course the guy I will not mention, and I am having a hard time actually seeing some of the other people. My eyes are looking bleary.
In addition to those you mentioned, I can make out Ellin, Robles, Sansouci, Massey, Vickery, Kennedy, Poitier, Davenport, Fleming, Archer, CJ, Harriman, Lebron, maybe Frankie Hernandez and maybe Sambajon in the far right back row?

chitownnorth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In addition to those you mentioned, I can make out Ellin, Robles, Sansouci, Massey, Vickery, Kennedy, Poitier, Davenport, Fleming, Archer, CJ, Harriman, Lebron, maybe Frankie Hernandez and maybe Sambajon in the far right back row?
Yeah I didn't want to mention Vickery's name.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I see Dan DiLiberto, Tony Robles, George SanSouci, Earl Strickland, Frankie Hernandez, Howard Vickery, Buddy Hall, Jim Rempe, Nick Varner, JR Calvert, Ted Garrahan, Mike Lebron, CJ Wiley and Johnny Archer. A lot of others look familiar, but the names aren't coming to me. Might be Larry Hubbart sitting next to Rempe.
Stu, I think I got five or six you failed to recognize, which makes my day! Massey, Kennedy, Potier, Davenport, Fleming, Harriman and maybe Sambajon. I bet Jay could name every single one in this photo. I wonder who the young kid with the cue in his hand is?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu, I think I got five or six you failed to recognize, which makes my day! Massey, Kennedy, Potier, Davenport, Fleming, Harriman and maybe Sambajon. I bet Jay could name every single one in this photo. I wonder who the young kid with the cue in his hand is?
Well done, Chris!

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
In that vain, years ago I was on a date to go hear a live band in Chicago. The place had a strict dress code and rather large cover charge for that time. My girlfriend and I were dressed to the nines. When the band came on stage, they were dressed in tank tops, ripped jeans, tennis shoes or sandals, etc. They looked like a typical band practicing in their garage. I went up to the bartender and said to give us our money back. He knew I was pissed and could cause an issue if he got on the wrong side of me. He did not hesitate in refunding our money.
You went to see a "band" and cared what they looked like? Have you been around or seen any Rock Stars in the last 50 years?
I don't care if Robert Plant looks like a hobo, on his last dollar, and on his last leg. I would care about the performance I paid for. And if he sang his ass off, I would be a satisfied customer.

Unless you were at the Opera that night, I can't suspect you expected them to be wearing suits and ties unless this was in 1950 ?

Geosnookery

Great photo. My first impression is that a decent percent of those players had spent time in Boy Scouts learning to iron a shirt or in Military boot camp polishing shoes. Those influences have diminished in society,

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Representing Minnesota we have Jimmy Wetch in the front row, 9th in from the left!

chitownnorth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You went to see a "band" and cared what they looked like? Have you been around or seen any Rock Stars in the last 50 years?
I don't care if Robert Plant looks like a hobo, on his last dollar, and on his last leg. I would care about the performance I paid for. And if he sang his ass off, I would be a satisfied customer.

Unless you were at the Opera that night, I can't suspect you expected them to be wearing suits and ties unless this was in 1950 ?
It was a jazz club and yes I cared when we were made to go home and change clothes to get in, and pay $35 a piece, to hear a local jazz quartet in 1996. And I never mentioned suits and ties.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
It was a jazz club and yes I cared when we were made to go home and change clothes to get in, and pay $35 a piece, to hear a local jazz quartet in 1996. And I never mentioned suits and ties.
They were the "talent" and had carte blanche to dress as they wanted, they were not customers. There's a difference, there really is. Sounds like you were mad at the club for a rule they enforce for all paying customers. Otherwise, folks show up at a fancy Jazz club dressed like... well you ;) I kid, I kid, but there is a point in there somewhere ;)

chitownnorth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They were the "talent" and had carte blanche to dress as they wanted, they were not customers. There's a difference, there really is. Sounds like you were mad at the club for a rule they enforce for all paying customers. Otherwise, folks show up at a fancy Jazz club dressed like... well you ;) I kid, I kid, but there is a point in there somewhere ;)
If I was mad about enforcing a dress code, I wouldn't have went back. It's about creating an atmosphere. And the band failed in that respect. Hence, they never played there again.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Great pic. Unfortunately, look who is sitting damn near dead center of the shot.
Yep the pedophile....Also the lord, and young TKO Tommy Kennedy is smiling right....''next to em''. They Both, know somptin' ain't right. That TKO smile speaks LOUDLY. nic pic thx.