Billy Thorpe. The ultimate issue is sponsorship

13ball

Anyone who found their way here has seen this or worse around a pool table. For my money BTs behavior was not a high crime or misdemeanor HOWEVER the real issue is the sponsor (employer) and the player (employee) relationship.

right or wrong your behavior is what your employer deems it to be, on or off the clock. Ever see the guy at the company Christmas party who got too drunk and made a spectacle of himself? Is it “fair” to punish him at work? Maybe not. Does it happen in real real world? Yes.

BT and anyone else can behave however they choose. But that does not free a person from the consequences. There are a lot of players out there to choose from, and who will be happy for the paycheck

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Funny... In a former life I witnessed a drunken bitch fest at the company Xmas party turn into a fight that was taken outside. One ended up losing his job the following day, the other was forced to endure anger management courses. He then ended up losing his job after speaking sternly to another co-worker a year later.

I quit the company pool league team, because despite what they want to say, it's an extension of work. ...and consequences should be expected.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The real moral of the story is that people who are highly visible will always be held to a higher standard of conduct than others, as their indiscretions will always garner scrutiny and will reflect poorly on their benefactors and colleagues.

In pool, the biggest viewing audiences (live, stream and TV), by a mile, are found in the major WPA sanctioned events (US Open, WPA World 9-ball, China Open 9-ball and All-Japan 9-ball) and the Matchroom events (Mosconi Cup, the World Pool Masters and the World Cup of Pool). Few Americans ever play in any of these, which is why only a few American pros are well-known worldwide. Of the current crop of active American pros, that means SVB, Corey Deuel, Skyler Woodward, Billy Thorpe, Chris Robinson, Tyler Styer, Justin Bergman and only a few others. These are the American players in the spotlight in world pool, and, as a group, they will greatly influence how American pool is perceived throughout the world.

Had this incident involved John Q Shortstop, a rock solid player with a Fargo of 718, but largely unknown in international circles, it would be a so what moment. Unfortunately, the incident involved Billy Thorpe, one of the very few American pro players known to the entire international community of players, event producers, sponsors, and fans.

Billy is young and he will learn from this. These days, we are all on candid camera and need to conduct ourselves accordingly.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the moral of the story is that if one wishes to be a professional and treated like a professional one should act like a professional.

Being a pro doesn't just mean you have pro level game. It means you must be a professional in your appearance, you demeaner, your behavior, etc. This is unfortunately another example in a line of many on why American pool is where it is. SJM is right in that if this was a "no name" player with no sponsorships, this isn't what it is with Billy. However, Billy is a big name with sponsors. Being a sponsored is a privilege that many don't get and needs to be treated with respect and knowing how things are when all eyes are on you. I truly hope Billy learns from this and bounces back.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's amazing how many people in this community disagree with such an obvious thought.
The fact that Billy said in his interview that his behavior was completely out of character to who he is, certainly indicates he has a serious drinking problem. Based on what I saw of him in the interview and what he said, I think he has a chance, assuming he has a support system around him.

I hope this is his wake up call to get some help with this issue, which may require rehab. Otherwise, there will inevitably be more future incidents / repercussions.

Sadly, he wouldn’t be the first incredibly talented young pool player to throw away a pro pool career (for whatever that’s worth) due to drug / alcohol issues. His knowing that this has happened to so many young players before him should certainly give him plenty of motivation to change.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Being a pro doesn't just mean you have pro level game. It means you must be a professional in your appearance, you demeaner, your behavior, etc. This is unfortunately another example in a line of many on why American pool is where it is. SJM is right in that if this was a "no name" player with no sponsorships, this isn't what it is with Billy. However, Billy is a big name with sponsors. Being a sponsored is a privilege that many don't get and needs to be treated with respect and knowing how things are when all eyes are on you. I truly hope Billy learns from this and bounces back.
...and more so all the players as whole.

Billy in my eyes is a little bit of a sacrificial lamb of sorts. This is now an experiment on what could be vs what will. This could very well be a turning point for the game. Here's hoping it turns out for the best

Reactions: sjm

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's amazing how many people in this community disagree with such an obvious thought.
They also tend to be the ones that call for individual responsibility but then also blame any negative consequences on “cancel culture.”

13ball

Does anyone know how much a top sponsored American player is paid by a leading company? And what are the mechanics? Yearly, monthly, tournament and travel stipend?
Basically what is the total dollar value of a Predator/ Diamond / Aramith / Cuetec / etc sponsorship and how is it delivered?

chitownnorth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know how much a top sponsored American player is paid by a leading company? And what are the mechanics? Yearly, monthly, tournament and travel stipend?
Basically what is the total dollar value of a Predator/ Diamond / Aramith / Cuetec / etc sponsorship and how is it delivered?
I had a sponsorship in another sport. I was given an equipment stipend each year.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It depends on the company and the player. My sponsorship deal with McDermott Cues is probably different than Shane's deal with Cuetec and different from Skylar's deal with Meucci. Some cover costs where some may pay money. Some may provide product for you to sell and pocket the money that way. Also, depends on who you are will depend on the deal you get.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
CUES, BALLS, CHALK,TIPS AND CLOTH

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those deals are generally private negotiations between co. and player. Someone said earlier that SVB gets around 75k/yr from Cuetec.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member

IIRC i read ( i think on AZB ) that Earl was pulling apprx 100K p/annum from cuetec when they got divorced him

have no clue if that was true or BS

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IIRC i read ( i think on AZB ) that Earl was pulling apprx 100K p/annum from cuetec when they got divorced him

have no clue if that was true or BS
It must have been pretty good $$ in order for him to use that pos cue he had for 17yrs. Actually just the butt 'cause he had a custom shaft for it.