Black Shafts?

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've not played much the last couple of years. Not really stayed in touch with the game at all the last couple of years. Maybe just a little.

I've noticed alot of players are now playing with black shafts? So, forgive my ignorance, but what are those black shafts made of? Is that the newest thing in the game nowadays? And can you get a shaft to fit your cue?

Here's a Youtube video of SVB playing with what I am talking about.

r/DCP

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are carbon fiber shafts. But not like the junk ones from the 90's. These are a brand new generation, feel smooth as silk, and play exactly like wood. Predator started it in 2018 or so and their shaft is called Revo. Within months, everyone was using them. Then within a couple years, all the other companies came out with their own version. They are here to stay.

Reactions: SEB

tomatoshooter

They are expensive but many, including me, love them. They have very low friction in the bridge hand, and don't get dinged up. The ones I've tried are stiffer than wood shafts, which I like.

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Gold Member
Your Wushu is weak.

Still playing with your son in his building he had delivered with the weak floor?

How many idiots can you convince that you don’t know what carbon fiber is? You’re so smart and all.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are carbon fiber shafts. But not like the junk ones from the 90's. These are a brand new generation, feel smooth as silk, and play exactly like wood. Predator started it in 2018 or so and their shaft is called Revo. Within months, everyone was using them. Then within a couple years, all the other companies came out with their own version. They are here to stay.

Where can a guy get one?

And can you get one that will just about fit any joint?

KyHighball

Where can a guy get one?
Sort by shaft material

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sort by shaft material

So.......can you still have the tip of your choice installed on these shafts?

FunChamp

It's a new era. Not only are there $400-600 carbon fiber shafts but there are $900 break cues and $25 for one piece of chalk. Earl Strickland started playing with a longer cue and everyone made fun of him. Now every other player has these $60-120 extensions on their cues and don't even know why most times. (Of course nobody apologized to Earl). It's a brave new world.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where can a guy get one?

And can you get one that will just about fit any joint?
All the online pool specific sites sell them. Yes, they come in most joints. Predator Revo is by far the most popular. It comes in 3 different tip diameters. Next most popular is Cuetech Synergy. Shane actually worked with Cuetech to design it together. Cuetech is about $400 new, and Predator is about $500 range new street price.

One pro if you want to try one, is you can buy them used to save a lot of money. They don't get dents and dings like wood shafts. So even a 5 year old one will look almost brand new.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All the online pool specific sites sell them. Yes, they come in most joints. Predator Revo is by far the most popular. It comes in 3 different tip diameters. Next most popular is Cuetech Synergy. Shane actually worked with Cuetech to design it together. Cuetech is about $400 new, and Predator is about $500 range new street price.

One pro if you want to try one, is you can buy them used to save a lot of money. They don't get dents and dings like wood shafts. So even a 5 year old one will look almost brand new.

So, should I assume if it's made by Predator it's a low deflection type shaft?

And what about the Cuetech Synergy? Is it a LD shaft? I assume you meant Cuetec, not Cuetech - right?