Bluegrass cue review

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great cues, I had 4, still have 3. Nice solid hit, good feedback, and superb value for money. He uses the finest materials, and you can tell. Plenty of power there too if you need it :)

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Send me a PM and I answer any questions you may have regarding Blue Grass cues. Like most have said, Richard's cues produce a solid stiff hit due to his construction techniques, shaft wood used and ferrule material. This can be toned down some by putting on a Kamui soft or super soft tip. As far as wood combinations go, the three best Blue Grass cues I have ever played with were either plain, honey colored birdseye, bocote, or cocobolo forearm cues.

Some have suggested turning down the shaft to make it less stiff. IF you need a little less stiffness, Richard will go down as far as 12.75 mm. Most of his shafts are on the fatter side (13.0 mm to 13.3 mm). To me, monkeying with the Harris pro taper makes his cues hit like crap. He's spent 25 year perfecting the hit (tone) of his cues to play the best they can play right out of his shop. If you can't handle the stiffer hit, buy a different cue.

Kelly

Last edited:

MediocrityNC

Ring game?
Silver Member
Bluegrass are great cues, but didn't feel anything like the SW I've hit with and own.

IMO, Zen and Rick Howard probably have the closest feel to a SW since that's what you're looking for. My Zen has great feedback, and very easy to move the ball with. It has an aluminum 3/8x11 pin. Quality is top notch! My buddy has a Rick Howard with a brass 3/8x11 pin, and it has a nice solid hit and probably the closest to a SW that I've hit with. I liked his so much that I sent a titlist out to Rick last week for him to convert.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
That's why I'm asking. There's no secret that Ted went through rough patches. The InsidePOOL article was pretty clear about it.

But TODAy, Ted Harris is doing a superb job. and his cues hit as good as anyones. So, I'm asking why you say his cues are a secondary market cue only. That's not true, unless he's selling everything he's got like the higher end builders. But that's not what Ted Harris is about.

Freddie
Freddie!

You are right and I am wrong.

My apologize!

Look up Ted Harris cues on azb and my 7 of his cues pop up. I am a fan of his cues. So don't get me wrong with my comment.

Kd

Last edited:

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the joint is right around 0.831" or a hair larger depending on the thickness of the finish.

Hey, take it easy n thanks for ur input.. appreciate it :)

Anyone else like to chip in on bluegrass cue ?

Btw, anyone know the joint diameter of bluegrass cue ?

Thanks

Last edited:

prewarhero

guess my avatar
Silver Member
Send me a PM and I answer any questions you may have regarding Blue Grass cues. Like most have said, Richard's cues produce a solid stiff hit due to his construction techniques, shaft wood used and ferrule material. This can be toned down some by putting on a Kamui soft or super soft tip. As far as wood combinations go, the three best Blue Grass cues I have ever played with were either plain, honey colored birdseye, bocote, or cocobolo forearm cues.

Some have suggested turning down the shaft to make it less stiff. IF you need a little less stiffness, Richard will go down as far as 12.75 mm. Most of his shafts are on the fatter side (13.0 mm to 13.3 mm). To me, monkeying with the Harris pro taper makes his cues hit like crap. He's spent 25 year perfecting the hit (tone) of his cues to play the best they can play right out of his shop. If you can't handle the stiffer hit, buy a different cue.

Kelly

Stated perfectly. Are you still working with Richard? If so, tell him the last cue hits incredible.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I am not playing with my Kersenbrock I play with my bluegrass.

Sounds like you hate your Kersh... You can just send it to me since you like the bluegrass so much ;P i'll even pay your shipping.

On a serious note to the OP, I heard Richard based his cues feel and hit off of Mcdermott's. I certainly like Mcdermott's when they're not falling apart. I've never played with a SW, which is kind of crazy, so I cant say how it compares... Hopefully this gives you and idea. I like Richard's simple style. The cue's seem like they're well made workhorses.

Also, I am on Gutshot and Prewarhero's side of the fence... Don't Mess with the shaft taper. The builder made it to play a certain way, if you don't like it, change the tip, or shop around.

Last edited:

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you hate your Kersh... You can just send it to me since you like the bluegrass so much ;P i'll even pay your shipping.

On a serious note to the OP, I heard Richard based his cues feel and hit off of Mcdermott's. I certainly like Mcdermott's when they're not falling apart. I've never played with a SW, which is kind of crazy, so I cant say how it compares... Hopefully this gives you and idea. I like Richard's simple style. The cue's seem like they're well made workhorses.

Also, I am on Gutshot and Prewarhero's side of the fence... Don't Mess with the shaft taper. The builder made it to play a certain way, if you don't like it, change the tip, or shop around.

He said that about the old McDermott cues in his TAR interview, as well as in the bio below. He apparently was also a fan of the hit of Paul Mottey cues.

http://www.indyq.com/custom/harris/Bio Harris2.html

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting because I see know similarity between the hit of Richards cues and Paul's. I never would have guessed that.

I agree - the only very clear parallel between the cues I see is that pretty much everybody that tries one likes the hit of them. I can't recall heard a single bad word said about Mottey or Bluegrass cues (not to say they don't have ANY detractors, but they seem to both be pretty much universally loved). But I was surprised as well, considering the very different styles employed by those two.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
I have had several Bluegrass cues. All played outstanding to me. I think a PJ Bluegrass is the best value going in custom cues as far as how good they play, how well they are made and how well they hold their value.

There are enough of them out there to be able to find one when you really want one but not enough to make them very common. Lot to like about those cues IMO.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bluegrass cue

Thanks for all the input guys :)

Now , can anyone help me as i would like to fit a Mezz hybrid pro 2 shaft on a bluegrass with a 3-8-11 pin.

May i know what factors should i consider that results in it both butt n shaft being flushed ?
Do i measure the diameter of the joint ?

Or is sending my butt to Mezz to get a shaft fitted an option ?

Thanks

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Measure the butt right at the end of the joint. It will be right around 0.831-0.833" depending on the thickness of the finish. That is the diameter your Mezz shaft will need to be made to. Also note Richard makes all of his joint pins a certain minor diameter at the third thread down from the end to make the shafts fit nice and snug. If the Mezz shaft is not made to match up with this diameter it will either fit real loose or not at all.

Kelly

Thanks for all the input guys :)

Now , can anyone help me as i would like to fit a Mezz hybrid pro 2 shaft on a bluegrass with a 3-8-11 pin.

May i know what factors should i consider that results in it both butt n shaft being flushed ?
Do i measure the diameter of the joint ?

Or is sending my butt to Mezz to get a shaft fitted an option ?

Thanks

ZiggyLee

I Love This Game!!!!
Silver Member
Re: Bluegrass cues......

Just picked up on a very nice ebony on ebony player. I've shoot a few of Richards cues before and loved the way they hit. It's a stiff hit with that wood to wood feel. Always looking for the right Bluegrass cue, and I've found one. Looking forward to getting this cue. I'm not sure what the waiting list is for one of Richards cues, he stopped taking orders years ago. I'm a very happy Bluegrass owner.:woot::woot:

Chris:smile: