Bobcad V23 on Windows 8.1

DanO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, so I have a legal license for Bobcad V23 installed on my CNC pc and my home pc. I have a license dongle that plugs into a USB port and works fine moving from one to the other.

I just loaded V23 on my laptop. It opens up and works but will not recognize the license dongle? Consequently I cannot save properly.

Plan B: Contact Bobcad but I don’t feel like fighting off the upgrade pitch. I thought I would start here first. Anyone else have this problem with Windows 8.1?

Second, is V25 worth upgrading to? I design in Solid Edge 3D modeling and 2D. I was legally able to load their 7K package on my laptop. WOOHOO! I’m using V23 to bring in the 2D and write the code. If the V25 has improved their 2D side of things I may jump for that reason. Always open to innovation.

Any input on either topic is greatly appreciated. Thanks and MERRY CHRISTMAS.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

Keep your V 23. You don't need to upgrade for simple 2d pocketing and inlay profiling IMO. I upgraded from 17 which was DOS to 23 and am staying where I am at and am playing with Gibs for 4 axis experimenting.

I had a brand new XP machine built for me last year but you could get away with a used XP machine for 100.00 to 150.00.

Keep the V 23 and save money.

JMO,

Rick

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Hi,

Keep your V 23. You don't need to upgrade for simple 2d pocketing and inlay profiling IMO. I upgraded from 17 which was DOS to 23 and am staying where I am at and am playing with Gibs for 4 axis experimenting.

I had a brand new XP machine built for me last year but you could get away with a used XP machine for 100.00 to 150.00.

Keep the V 23 and save money.

JMO,

Rick

Gibbscam is the best... Pricey but the best...

DanO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reading on line I was able to correct my software issue. All I had to do was right click on the launch icon and change properties to "run as administrator". Woops.

Still would like to get rid of this stupid dongle though. Never bothered me on my desktop but I don't like it sticking out of my laptop.

DanO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dongle problem solved.
With windows 8.1 my laptop never shuts off, only sleeps. I've opened Bobcad V23 three days in a row without the dongle. Unless my pc does a restart I don't need it plugged into the side. Now ain't that dandy. Now I just gotta make sure I don't LOOSE IT.

RBC

Deceased
DAnO

Just make sure you can still save files without the dongle in.

My suspicions are that you're going to have to keep it in, but I could be wrong. I just remember trying to save a file and it not letting me because it thought I was in demo mode.

It really sucks when you've done a lot of work and have no way to save it because the dongle isn't plugged in.

Royce