Bocote good or bad?

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i know most people here love Bocote,but i am becoming less of a fan.i never really cared much for the color/look but i agree it does have a nice hit.anyway i have had two problems with Bocote and am thinking about not using it any more.first was a jump break and the threads just turned to much in the jump handle which was Bocote.they came apart just by me torquing the butt and jump handle together repeatedly.

next cue the Bocote was a handle core 3/4" diameter.i put the handle on the Bocote core with 205 and waited a 2 days,then chucked it up to turn the tenon down to .700"x1.25" and to drill and tap for a-bolt.next day i chucked it back up and ran the live center in the tailstock up to the Bocote core to center it in the spindle.i was using very little pressure with the center and it split the Bocote core.i could hear the crack.anyway i think i have decided that this stuff is just too brittle or too weak or too whatever.

anyone have similar problems?

dave sutton

Banned
I have ha thread problems. But I have read some other use it at inserts and I don't see how. It doesn't seem to threat cleanly. As for the other things I have never cores with any so I can't comment. Looks wise it has to be in the right cue. Deff ugly but beautiful when don't right

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I like them.
I used a bocote piece to extend this bocote forearm.
I haven't tried sleeving them with phenolic but that might be of help .

Attachments

• bcte.jpg
    bcte.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 390

Bill the Cat

Proud maker of CAT cues
Silver Member
It seems to differ from piece to piece

I personally love Bocote for it's looks and it's hit. That being said, I have found great differences in the various pieces I have purchased over the years.

Some pieces have a powdery quality to the chips when I cut them. The thread quality (and thread strength) in these pieces was usually very poor and I would normally end up coring, plugging with a hardwood insert and re-threading. Others have been very hard with an almost oily quality and gave very good threading results.

I'm not a wood guru, but I believe that Bocote comes from various parts of the world and it's characteristics will vary by locale. Maybe somebody like KellyGuy can chime in with some real expertise.

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some pieces have a powdery quality to the chips when I cut them. The thread quality (and thread strength) in these pieces was usually very poor and I would normally end up coring, plugging with a hardwood insert and re-threading.

that seems to be all the bocote i have.hopefully someone who knows which species is best will chime in like you said.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The two most common commercially sold bocotes are Cordia gerascanthus, and Cordia eleagnoides. I believe the eleagnoides to be the species of bocote that can be somewhat punky and powder a little when cut.

I believe gerascanthus to be, on average, heavier and harder. It has a slightly more green hue to it than the other species. You can take a spring loaded punch and sometimes see the difference in depression between the two species.

Just my observations and thought.

Kelly

Bill the Cat

Proud maker of CAT cues
Silver Member
I knew you'd know

Hey Kelly, do the two different types you mentioned come from different areas of the world?

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Kelly, do the two different types you mentioned come from different areas of the world?

I have bought both species from the samer vender who bought both from the same distributor. I don't think so...or at least not exclusively.

Kelly

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kelly,could i interest you in a trade?all the dry,crumbly,punky Bocote i have for all the nice,oily,hard Bocote you have?just kidding