** bonus ball **

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know when BONUS BALL is starting back up?
I miss it, obviously it's sad that the greatest pool game ever is not in session.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What happened to the arena?

PS-It starts back up on the same day that Scooter's reality show has it's series opening!

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
I am not sure if this post is a joke or not, and I know bonus ball gets a good amount of hate on here.

But I really enjoyed bonus ball. I would welcome back some more content. The table was challenging, so were the rules. I thought thats why we all woke up each morning, was to argue that bar tables and easy rules are no fun for the pros.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I miss it, obviously it's sad that the greatest pool game ever is not in session.

Hey JumpiinJoe.
I miss BONUS BALL as well.
I haven't heard squat as to when or if it will ever rise again.

On that note:

I say, any kind of pool game/tour created, especially a creative one, is great for everyone.
You ever noticed when some of the pros were playing BB, bottom tier players
found it easier to cash in on some of the regional play?

Right now, guys like Frost are winning practically every time they cue up.
Morris is running around everywhere scooping up cash as he does.

I'm not complaining, I'm just illustrating how BB benefited the pool scene.

Yet, people complained about BB as if it were "bad" for the game.
Naysayers don't always understand the bigger picture.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not sure if this post is a joke or not, and I know bonus ball gets a good amount of hate on here.

But I really enjoyed bonus ball. I would welcome back some more content. The table was challenging, so were the rules. I thought thats why we all woke up each morning, was to argue that bar tables and easy rules are no fun for the pros.

Touché, billiardthought.

First, people said (some) games are too easy for pros.
So, BB comes along and strives to solve that problem with a more challenging game,
complete with scoreboard and one hell of a format.
Still, many complained about the game itself.
Welcome to the 21st century where entitlement to groan and be offended is standard! :thumbup:

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey JumpiinJoe.
I miss BONUS BALL as well.
I haven't heard squat as to when or if it will ever rise again.

On that note:

I say, any kind of pool game/tour created, especially a creative one, is great for everyone.
You ever noticed when some of the pros were playing BB, bottom tier players
found it easier to cash in on some of the regional play?

Right now, guys like Frost are winning practically every time they cue up.
Morris is running around everywhere scooping up cash as he does.

I'm not complaining, I'm just illustrating how BB benefited the pool scene.

Yet, people complained about BB as if it were "bad" for the game.
Naysayers don't always understand the bigger picture.

If BB had ant effect at all on pool it was a negative one

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member

I think that it's been replaced by another, even greater game....one legged, blind folded, alternating purple/yellow ball. A giant stadium is being built as we speak.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What exactly was the negative?

How it was managed.

Trying to go huge right out of the gate by blowing their load on an arena and other costs before even establishing a fan base.

Creating a game that couldn't be played at home without spending $170 on a bonus ball set.

I'm sure there's more.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
What exactly was the negative?

There were some players who planned their future on the income promises made by the promoters. Many were convinced BB was going to provide a way to make a living playing pool. Whether this was foolhardy, they bought in anyway and many pros scheduled their lives based on BB participation.

There were many fans who were skeptical, including me, but I definitely saw the dangling carrot, the promises, expectations and hopes the players put into it. Then there were the missed deadlines by the promoters, postponements, financial issues, etc. It's pretty sad, really.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How it was managed.

Trying to go huge right out of the gate by blowing their load on an arena and other costs before even establishing a fan base.

Creating a game that couldn't be played at home without spending $170 on a bonus ball set.

I'm sure there's more.

1. I enjoyed the game. And having teams was a great idea. Google Thorsten's big run if you want to see how much skill the game demands.

2. But yes, the execution was totally botched. They could have saved money and drummed up more interest by doing the first few years as a traveling event, meaning home and away games, as opposed to building the admittedly pretty awesome arena.

3. You can play BB with regular balls -- just use solids, stripes, and the 8 ball.

4. Lots of people were put off and confused by the structure of the game. They could have listened and had team matches based on a mix of 8-ball, 9-ball, and BB as the final decider.

Ultimately, the execution was off and that killed it. All said in done, BB probably did more harm than good. The lasting message to outsiders is probably "there's no money in promoting pool" instead of "bad execution leads to bad results" (of course, both may be true).

Cory

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really liked everything about Bonus Ball except for the game itself. Seemed like a great idea, just couldn't get into the game.

I really liked everything about Bonus Ball except for the game itself. Seemed like a great idea, just couldn't get into the game.

This is it in a nutshell. Can now close this thread. Everything about bonus ball was wonderful. Except the business plans and the game itself 😂😂😂

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
I didn't realize there were so many money problems with the set up. That's a shame and sadly the only consistent thing about pool.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
d68713085a12a0821d7264ca9401d8de.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't want to know that story - well, maybe - but I swore I would not divulge the source of this set.....let's just say someone had a few sets they needed to unload in order to make some sense of the debacle

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't want to know that story - well, maybe - but I swore I would not divulge the source of this set.....let's just say someone had a few sets they needed to unload in order to make some sense of the debacle

Yeah I remember a bunch of crazy stories at the time. In fact if I recall correctly didnt AZ's own instructor get paid with a bunch of sets in leau of actual cheez?