Bored with a Hammer and some house hold things.

Duce

Engineer
Silver Member
Well, I was online late last night and surfed the net and stumbled upon a few people making their own lathes.

So, I figured, oh well, let's try to make one.

It costed me $10 bucks to make this Cue Lathe. I wanted to install and cut cue tips without using the old Razor trick. So, I had some wood left over from a previous home improvement project. The wood is not too great, but this is just a prototype.

I had an old Craftsman corded drill, a mini drill press thingie that I bought years ago, a wooden bench that no one ever uses. I went to Homedepot and bought a 1/2" x 48" steel galvanilzed piping for $10 bucks. And it was fun. Here are the pictures, It took me 2 hours to "improvise." the design because I was way too lazy to jump on Solidworks, maybe the next one, I'll make a 3D drawing....=)
I works pretty darn good, and more than what I expected. There isn't much run out when going high speeds. There's a chuck on the Tailstock and it's suppose to act as a Live Center. If you have comments or ideas, let me know, I am always willing to learn.

DSC02040.jpg

DSC02039.jpg

DSC02038.jpg

DSC02036.jpg

DSC02035.jpg

DSC02034.jpg
 
Last edited:
I'm glad it works for you and respect for having the initiative to get of your a$$ and do it
but that sure is FUGLY:LOL

no-sho
 
Very imaginative and fun for you to do I'm sure. It always feels good to dream up and build something that works and then improve upon it. Like JoeW's ball polisher.

I use the crutch tip lathe idea which has been around for several years.
 
Congratulations! You took the first and hardest step. You went from thinking to actually building something. Next step is to put it to work, and learn what to change or improve. I'm going thru the same process with mine, and will probably revise it over the winter. I've done a bunch of tips, numerous clean and reseal jobs, some re-tapers. and a few rewraps. Best of luck.
Bill
 

Attachments

  • CUE SPINNER 2.JPG
    CUE SPINNER 2.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 209
  • Cue SPINNER 3.jpg
    Cue SPINNER 3.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 185
daym. i've been searching for the hun in my avatar and the title to your post really made me think i've found her...

that's one hell of a coffee maker you got there. guud laurd.
 
olauzon said:
daym. i've been searching for the hun in my avatar and the title to your post really made me think i've found her...

.

Dont forget the bags-extra large.
 
RRfireblade said:
Interesting. :)

Curious how you'll replace tips on it tho ?


The lathe was intended to cut down the excess material off of the tip once installed. Installing the tip is pretty much, scuff and glue it on. If it were a 14mm or 13mm tip and my shaft was let's say 12.5mm, then I would need to turn down the tip to the diameter of the shaft. But I haven't tried turning down any tips yet because no tips needed to be changed. But I took the homemade lathe to whole new level.

I replaced a butt end. :p
Story:

So again I was bored like heck surfing Ebay and I saw an "Ontario Sneaky Pete" $.99 cents and $20 shipping and it had 3 minutes left. So naturally I am excited, OMFG! $.99 cents!!! I bid $.99 and won. Woohoo. I recieved the cue, and I saw the Fugly Maple Leaf logo and wheels in my head started to turn.
Cue looked like this:

61_1_sbl.jpg

6b_1_sbl.jpg



Okay, I remembered I had an old Lucasi butt cap that I saved. It was made of cocobola with brass ring and sandwiched(mmmmM Sandwich) by silver rings. I turned down the butt cap of the Sneaky pete just above that maple leaf logo. What was left was a 2/5" core which happened to be the same size hole as the Lucasi butt cap. So once the butt end was turned to size, and using a Digital Caliper to measure the diameter, I used Loctite Super Glue and glued the rings on one by one. Then spread glue all over the core, pressed the butt cap on, hammering it with a rubber mallet to ensure a tight fit.

Put the cue butt back on the sexy lathe, used 150 grit, then 300, then 600, then 1000 grit sand paper to gradually sand it down finer and finer.
So, I am a car guy, and I had a bucket of "Polyeurathane 2 part epoxy" clear coat left over from a prevous paint job. I mixed the compounds and dipped the cutt butt.
Some more sanding and a little bit of Turtle Wax on this baby and I was pretty much done.

Now, Tim Scruggs, Richard Black, and GinaCue have to watch out for a new competition,

Duce MCGyver Cues. DMC Customs. LOL.

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg
 
Last edited:
Duce, welcome to the DIY Azers'. If you didn't read this post, you should. It may help to refine your homemade lathe.

By the way great job on both the lathe and at cuebuilding/repair.
 
billiardshot said:
Duce, welcome to the DIY Azers'. If you didn't read this post, you should. It may help to refine your homemade lathe.

By the way great job on both the lathe and at cuebuilding/repair.

Was there supposed to be a link to read?
 
That is one cool lathe. Nice work.

I like the portable drill as a driver. Gets the most bang for the buck.

What are you using for a tailstock that holds the chuck?

I am not sure but I think a second pipe with a type of tool rest might help the hand for sanding and polishing.

A variable speed foot pedal might also give better control of the rpm.

I haven't built one of these yet so I am just running my mouth.:D
 
It would take me no less than 5000 hours to build that lathe, yes I'm that helpless. That is great!!! as long as it doesent vibrate and stays solid it should be fine, it looks good to me. I'm funny once I see something I can tell if its good etc but God help ne to be creative enough to build things. I have to make $$ and buy them.

again very nice!!
 
hang-the-9 said:
Tire on ground, from a 300Z?


Hahaha, Yeah, the tire is from a 300zx(Z32). I have a 240sx with 5 lugs and Z32 brake conversion all around. I have 2 sets of the 300zx wheels, one set is Twin Turbo.
 
JoeW said:
That is one cool lathe. Nice work.

I like the portable drill as a driver. Gets the most bang for the buck.

What are you using for a tailstock that holds the chuck?

I am not sure but I think a second pipe with a type of tool rest might help the hand for sanding and polishing.

A variable speed foot pedal might also give better control of the rpm.

I haven't built one of these yet so I am just running my mouth.:D

That tail stock unit is from an old Craftsman Mini drill press that I purchased a long time ago. It is suppose to sit vertical, but It can also sit horizontal.

Cutting tools. Well, I had a few nice pieces of tool steel sitting around and they were from punches, chizzles, and other things. I used my Die Grinder and pretty much sharpen the bits into a parting tools and cutting tools.
 
Is that a 300zx tt wheel in the background?

edit: damn! Beaten to the punch... Um, can I guess the tire? Yoko AVS ES100?
 
Back
Top