Break Cue Recs?

DryFlyTrout

Hello, this is my first thread after a few posts. I'm a newer player with a rather horrible break and looking to improve. Currently I'm breaking with a Dufferin cue made for playing. I'd like a break stick. I've used a couple here and there but I'm not really sure what's best for me yet.

I'd like to spend somewhere around $150, maybe $200 if it would really make that much difference. I'm wondering what you guys would be looking at if you had to select from that range?
Thanks!

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I'm using a $700 breaker and it works great for me. If I wasn't fortunate enough to be using that, I would definitely be using the Meucci break cue. It's a tiny bit more than you're looking to spend, think it's like $250 range but it breaks like a beast and is very durable. You could possibly find one used to fit your budget.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d consider something like this Players Sneaky Pete style break jump cue. It’s a good brand for that price range, phenolic tip, plus you get the jump cue if you want to play around with it.

DryFlyTrout

I’d consider something like this Players Sneaky Pete style break jump cue. It’s a good brand for that price range, phenolic tip, plus you get the jump cue if you want to play around with it.
So one of the cues I came across as I was scrolling through hundreds of breakers was the Players JB12.
It looks very similar. Would that be a decent choice?

I'm not sure I'll be jumping much if ever. Is a cue designed only for breaking going to break better than a break jump cue?

Thanks again for the assistance.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been using this cue for breaking and a very occasional jump for five years. I am still impressed.

https://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/bwcues/bw_jump-break-cue.htm
I've got that one, too. My review here:

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have used a Mezz, a Predator BK2, and a Pechauer dedicated break cue and the Pechauer Black break shaft but have gravitated to a Rage 25 oz break cue and have found it works best for me. I use a second ball break in 8 ball and it usually slams in a ball, often 2, sometimes 3 and occasionally 4. Probably works best for me because I have a low swing speed. Good luck

terpdad

Registered
I'm using a Pure X J/B & like it. I may try something carbon in the future, but I can't really justify it other than to try something new. I was told by a large billiard retailer everything under $300 is pretty much the same & that the BK Rush & Breach are in a class of their own. So, if you'd like to spend around $200, don't stress too much. Just choose something you like the looks of in the weight you want.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So one of the cues I came across as I was scrolling through hundreds of breakers was the Players JB12.

I'm not sure I'll be jumping much if ever. Is a cue designed only for breaking going to break better than a break jump cue?

Yes, same idea. I was actually looking for a Player's break cue to recommend to you, but they were all jump/break cues. I don't think it would make much difference, you could just ignore the extra joint. I also like that J&J that someone recommended.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Newer player? My suggestion is to work on your break. Not trying to be a wise butt here. Although break cues tend to have harder tips and stiffer shafts for a harder hit, the main reason many use them is to save wear on their playing cue's tip.

That said, I use an earlier version of one of these...

Pechauer Break Cue -Natural - Pechauer Custom Cues

Agreed ^^^^

I like that the Pechauer breakers are forward weighted. I have the Black Ice and I get a better break with it than any other I have tried. I also like that I got better results with less weight. I like it at 21-22 oz. I noticed a couple of guys on my team keep asking to use it when they break. They never asked to use anyone else's regular breaker before.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
This is a new thread too.

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take the cue and have a break tip put on it.

I use a old Steve klapp sneaky Pete with a white diamond on it.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello, this is my first thread after a few posts. I'm a newer player with a rather horrible break and looking to improve. Currently I'm breaking with a Dufferin cue made for playing. I'd like a break stick. I've used a couple here and there but I'm not really sure what's best for me yet.

I'd like to spend somewhere around $150, maybe $200 if it would really make that much difference. I'm wondering what you guys would be looking at if you had to select from that range?
Thanks!

A break cue won't help with a break if the execution and technique are bad. It would be like someone that can't parallel park or know how a Yield sign works looking to buy a fancy car thinking it will help gain basic ability. First step is to practice so you can break at least decently with control, then once you have the skill to know and understand the difference between break cues and how they may help you, then is the time to look for some. Without a core of knowledge you won't know what would be good for you. Also don't mistake making balls on the break with having a bad break, if you can hit the rack solid and not loose control of the cueball where it's flying all over the table, that is the foundation of a good break.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A lot of those price range cues are pretty much identical. The J&J ones that are under $100 are also decent enough to use, I won like 3 of them in raffles and have no issues using them. One thing to watch out for is that the cheaper ones tend to have a thicker shaft and a tip that is tough to control and the ticket shaft is also something many don't like. That is why so many put on a tip like the White Diamond or the Samsara break tip on theirs. I have a PureX break/jump cue but had a cuemaker take down the shaft a bit and swapped out the tip for a White Diamond, I am liking it a lot better than the stock plastic tip and thicker shaft it came with.

If you don't care about having a jump/break combo, the suggestion to just spend $30 to swap the tip on the cue you are using now is a great idea.

pw98

Registered
I have one of these and the problem is they are very squirty so if you dont hit the ball perfectly you wont come close to hitting it square and their pivot point is at like 5 inches so using a big swing with BHE to cancel out the deflection is impossible.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one of these and the problem is they are very squirty so if you dont hit the ball perfectly you wont come close to hitting it square and their pivot point is at like 5 inches so using a big swing with BHE to cancel out the deflection is impossible.
Its a break cue. Who cares about squirt or pivot points? All break cues are high defl. but you don't use it to pocket balls. My j/b probably squirts like hell but its never been an issue. Ever. I have ZERO problem hitting the cueball clean or the rack square with any break cue i've had so far.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I turned my J&J j/b shaft down a bit starting about 5" from the ferrule. Still has plenty of spine and power. White Diamond tip is the nuts imo.
A lot of those price range cues are pretty much identical. The J&J ones that are under $100 are also decent enough to use, I won like 3 of them in raffles and have no issues using them. One thing to watch out for is that the cheaper ones tend to have a thicker shaft and a tip that is tough to control and the ticket shaft is also something many don't like. That is why so many put on a tip like the White Diamond or the Samsara break tip on theirs. I have a PureX break/jump cue but had a cuemaker take down the shaft a bit and swapped out the tip for a White Diamond, I am liking it a lot better than the stock plastic tip and thicker shaft it came with.

If you don't care about having a jump/break combo, the suggestion to just spend $30 to swap the tip on the cue you are using now is a great idea.