Break Cue Tips

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, for crazy reasons (unbelievably, got myself into an upcoming bank pool tournament) I'm in the market for a break cue tip.

Originally I was thinking phenolic. Then a buddy suggested the Samsara water buffalo tips. Then, when I went on line, I'm seeing these clear gummy bear looking things, like Mako. Any feedback/suggestions?

Lou Figueroa

Renegade4006

I had the phenolic tip that came on my budget break cue changed to an Ultraskin Heavy Hitter. I did not like the sound and feel of the phenolic type. For me the Ultraskin HH was a definite improvement.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, for crazy reasons (unbelievably, got myself into an upcoming bank pool tournament) I'm in the market for a break cue tip.

Originally I was thinking phenolic. Then a buddy suggested the Samsara water buffalo tips. Then, when I went on line, I'm seeing these clear gummy bear looking things, like Mako. Any feedback/suggestions?

Lou Figueroa
There seems to be a lot of different names for the clear tip, mako, bulletproof, etc,etc
It works very well.
Other great break tips
White diamond,
Kamui sai.
The Samsara and the bk break tip seem to be the same. I've seen / heard about delamination lately.
It's all about you.
You already know that!

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
You will get many answers since everyone has their own opinions and preferences. Pick from the ones that get mentioned most I guess.
My opinion:
  • I use the Bulletproof tip. Really like it.
  • White Diamond is very popular, but I did not like the feel of it.
  • Ultraskin Heavy Hitter is a good plain leather tip
  • I have installed many Samsara tips. It is a hybrid layered epoxy soaked leather.
  • The list goes on
If you can ask around where you play and see if you can try some. Otherwise it will be trial and error. Good luck

Last edited:

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The difference in breaking power between break tips will be negligible. The difference in control might be substantial. Phenolic tips generally hold only a light dusting of chalk and so are much more likely to miscue or even scoop on anything other than a perfectly center-ball hit. If you anticipate intentionally using any sort of spin (vertical or horizontal) on a break shot, just go for something that holds chalk better. I have experience with Taom break tips and they work well and hold chalk better than phenolic. White Diamond's are comparable to Taom. My favorite is the Samsara which is very hard leather and you can even scuff it slightly and it holds chalk better than any other break tip I've ever used.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
ON CYBORG,
ASO
ODEGA

Rusty Dutch

Taom break/jump tip is really good.

Bulletproof is good, and cheap.

For those in the UK, the Cymru break tip is great. Holds chalk well, power transfer is great, never seems to miscue.

I also don’t really appreciate phenolic tips.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Hammerhead 2 by Outsville is a good one. They are pretty similar to WD but they feel a bit more crisp on the hit.