Break cue weight

DeeDeeCues

Acceleration is irrelevant. It's the velocity of the cue when it hits the cue ball that matters. We assume that if the cue itself is the same and it's just the weight and speed that are changing, the efficiency of energy transfer to the cue ball will be the same.

For breaking power, energy is everything.
For break quality though, there are many other factors.

How does the cue stick go from 0 to break speed without the player accelerating it?

Texas Carom Club

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and hes brings the tip back behind the bridge fingers some, all the way back for as big a swing as possible , its something i dont see much or any others do

i seen him do a 9b break on accustats where it clocked 27mph and a noticeable obliteration of the rack compared to previous breaks at lower speeds

Busty told me he liked lighter break cues though he didn't specify what weight. He also told me he likes to choke up with his back hand in order to create more speed. He feels the speed creates the power. Of course his leaving the ground and kicking his own ass while airborn probably suggests technique has something to do with it, as well.

Can't disregard anything he says with him being one of the absolute best breakers ever.

DeeDeeCues

I'm saying the acceleration is irrelevant because the speed of the cue at impact with the cue ball is all that matters.

You are obviously trying to answer a different question than was asked.

To figure the best weight of the cue, you are trying to maximize energy. To maximize energy, you want the heaviest cue possible before you lose too much velocity. The weight and final speed of the cue affect the force necessary to accelerate the cue. I can accelerate a lighter cue to a higher speed than a heavier cue. Some people can't generate a high arm speed regardless of the cue, they should use heavier cues. I have pretty long arms which act as a mechanical speed multiplier and force reducer...light cue=fast for me=more energy, heavy cue=slow for me=less energy.

I can explain it for you, but I can't help you with the understanding part.

You are obviously trying to answer a different question than was asked.

To figure the best weight of the cue, you are trying to maximize energy. To maximize energy, you want the heaviest cue possible before you lose too much velocity. The weight and final speed of the cue affect the force necessary to accelerate the cue. I can accelerate a lighter cue to a higher speed than a heavier cue. Some people can't generate a high arm speed regardless of the cue, they should use heavier cues. I have pretty long arms which act as a mechanical speed multiplier and force reducer...light cue=fast for me=more energy, heavy cue=slow for me=less energy.

I can explain it for you, but I can't help you with the understanding part.
That is literally what my initial posts says in different wording...