Break cue weight

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Busty told me he liked lighter break cues though he didn't specify what weight. He also told me he likes to choke up with his back hand in order to create more speed. He feels the speed creates the power. Of course his leaving the ground and kicking his own ass while airborn probably suggests technique has something to do with it, as well.

Can't disregard anything he says with him being one of the absolute best breakers ever.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Light.....18 ounces or less

Heavy...25 ounces, or more if you can get away with it

What's the consensus of the peanut gallery? Any and all comments welcome.

The correct answer depends on the individual's muscle physiology and anatomy. For more info, see:

The good news is: a fairly wide range of weights will have similar effectiveness.

Georgiacue

Theres a handful of youtube videos out there that say heavier cues typically have higher break speeds. I found the same thing. I used 3 different cue weights. Basically bought 2 different extension sizes. Did breaks with bare cue, 3 inch extension and 6 inch extension. I was faster with the extensions than I was with the bare cue. This is using the predator break speed app which is pretty cool. Now does higher speed mean better thats another debate..

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Theres a handful of youtube videos out there that say heavier cues typically have higher break speeds. I found the same thing. I used 3 different cue weights. Basically bought 2 different extension sizes. Did breaks with bare cue, 3 inch extension and 6 inch extension. I was faster with the extensions than I was with the bare cue. This is using the predator break speed app which is pretty cool. Now does higher speed mean better thats another debate..
Not if you miss cue/whiff. 😉

Flakeandrun

As it came 18.5 (although tempted to take all weight out of it and give it a try, my friend keeps hassling me to give it a try).