Break cue which tip?

icecool69

Registered
I am using currently a OB Rift Speed break with the very hard phenolic tip that comes with the shaft.

I find that when breaking it seems to feel like hitting the cueball with a block of wood rather than a tip. I know the tips aren't meant to be soft like your playing cues but do think this one I have on at the minute is too hard.

What is the best break cue tip or what do people recommend?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
It's gonna be similar to picking your favorite playing tip..... trial/error.

Any of the above tips are a good place to start. I used a Samsara for 4 years, then decided to try the Taom. I love it.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a fan of phenolics (besides for jumping) I feel like I lose all control of the cb. I have a Samsara that I like but I've found I break best with a simple milk dud. I still get plenty of power, have better control, and just feels better for some reason.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
I switched from BK2 phenolic to Taom and I'm really happy. More grip and a touch more power.

blakerandy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an Orange Crusher that was using the Samsara tip.

Unfortunately it needs replacing and being on the Big Island in Hawaii my options are very limited.

What is the purpose of the harder tips? Do you lose power if using a regular tip?

As Dockter said he gets more control using a regular tip which I would actually prefer.

icecool69

Registered
mmm.. might have to try this Taom tip then, as with the one I currently have just seems to have grip or power really

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Outsville Hammerhead is STILL the only one with a money back guarantee and 100% guaranteed not to explode or split.... Nothing like losing a tip and it taking your ferulle and shaft out at the same time......

stormshadow1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerico stinger with white diamond tip. Have owned and tried many. Lomax with taom a close second.

Keith in Colorado

SamLambert

Daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Tried phenolic, Samsara and Taom.

Taom is the one I am using right now and my overall favorite.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taom is the best I have come across. That said I would happily have a Kamui original Hard for a break tip too. Great control, nice feel and holds up with the beating just as well as anything. Taom is a bit more powerful, kamui (or any other very hard laminate) is a little more forgiving on bad hits.

Try some out for yourself, there have been many great tips suggested in this thread :smile:

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
I like the Hammerhead. Breaks as hard as phenolic, but feels better and gives better control. It doesn't eff up the cue ball either.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I like the Hammerhead. Breaks as hard as phenolic, but feels better and gives better control. It doesn't eff up the cue ball either.

We spent 4 years in testing before the Hammerhead was released... You cannot hurt it and it won't hurt the cueball...

The Hammerhead is faster than any tip out but the G10... Glass Phenolics are 6-8% harder than whitey and causes fractures...

Several tips are out that are nothing but consumer available epoxies and resins... It's only a matter of time before they fail from being work hardened..

We have a 100% money back guarantee and we will go further.. If a Hammerhead fails and shatters and also destroys your ferulle and shaft I will replace the entire cue... The Hammerhead has been tested at 22 tons.. It laughed at the press pretty much the same way I laugh at the new tips..

Skittles are candy.. Stripper dust should be on strippers and a Cell is where you should live if you are duping players by pretending to be a manufacturer....