• Solid

Votes: 53 100.0%
  • Whippy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

heit8

Psalm 27:3
Silver Member
Just wondering how many people prefer the stiff break cue or the whippy break cue? And what produces the best results?

Zivan1967

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what break cue is wimpy?

Every break cue should be stiff, but the tip could be leather or phenolic, leather for more control or phenolic for added power.

The best thing that will help your break is playing with someone who knows how to rack.

MidLifeCrisis

Just loves cues...
Silver Member
I prefer a stiff shaft for breaking...
My Andy Gilbert J/B is a little whippy, but with a smooth stroke and a tight rack, does just fine... If I try and kill it...the whippiness/deflection is much more apparent....a flat, medium-hard stroke and balls start falling....

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer a stiff shaft for breaking...
My Andy Gilbert J/B is a little whippy, but with a smooth stroke and a tight rack, does just fine... If I try and kill it...the whippiness/deflection is much more apparent....a flat, medium-hard stroke and balls start falling....

What year was your gilbert j/b made? mine breaks like a freight train

nancewayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Break Cues- does it make any difference?

After digesting the comments from the U.S. Open 9-ball tournament this year, I don't think using a Break cue makes any difference~! The semi-soft break to make the wing ball could be done with a house cue. When the rules change to only allow a POWER BREAK, will there be a need for a specialized cue for breaking.

Just wondering how many people prefer the stiff break cue or the whippy break cue? And what produces the best results?

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After digesting the comments from the U.S. Open 9-ball tournament this year, I don't think using a Break cue makes any difference~! The semi-soft break to make the wing ball could be done with a house cue. When the rules change to only allow a POWER BREAK, will there be a need for a specialized cue for breaking.

you get to playing pro speed and you might be right about that

MidLifeCrisis

Just loves cues...
Silver Member
What year was your gilbert j/b made? mine breaks like a freight train

It's an 09...not sure of the diameter of the shaft, but it really has some flex. After breaking w/my Gina and pfd...just for comparison...the Gilbert feels like a Muecci(no he didn't, oh yes I did :grin-square:) from the late 80's early 90's...it definitely has deflection... I'll measure the diameter of the shaft in a few just for the sake of knowing what it is...

MidLifeCrisis

Just loves cues...
Silver Member
I'll admit not having any problems breaking with it... My first rack dropped the nine and that was a pretty good first impression... It also has the Samsara break tip on it, which I like... I've got used to breaking w/it, and have no problem controlling the cue ball either... It'll typically hop up a couple of inches and land somewhere within a foot of the center of the table. I'm not displeased with the Gilbert...just took a little time to get used to the feel...

weiru

99% Luck, 1% Skill
Silver Member
it is hard to classify bk2 as whippy, neither is it stiff. but the bk2 im using, feels soft and flexible. unlike a PB1 which is hard and inflexible.

heit8

Psalm 27:3
Silver Member
I guess that is what i mean, I have used a few different break cues and some seem like they have not much flex and other seem to have a whole lotta flex.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's an 09...not sure of the diameter of the shaft, but it really has some flex. After breaking w/my Gina and pfd...just for comparison...the Gilbert feels like a Muecci(no he didn't, oh yes I did :grin-square:) from the late 80's early 90's...it definitely has deflection... I'll measure the diameter of the shaft in a few just for the sake of knowing what it is...

that's odd because i know he's been stiffening up his break cue tapers in the later models. did you buy it directly from him?

i figure maybe you got a bad piece of shaft wood or maybe someone had it taken down a little to play with it.

people always talk about ld break cues but imo that's all nonsense. who cares of your break cue deflects. with close to center ball hits it won't even matter