Break speed for android????'s

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi I just bought this for my my touch phone, and it seems to be working fine. but my question is has anybody noticed that there isn't alot of consistancy, example, I have a fairly hard break, hit 26 mph in vegas in 03. this maybe be a little less now as i put on weight, but I went down stairs when i got home excited to try this out, and was puzzeled, I broke abou 10 times all with a house stick, times were all over the place and the shouldn't have been 17's 18's 24, 27 and a personal best 31.40. all these breaks were about the same as far as it felt to me.

any ideas? what may be up,

TheOneGnat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What kind of phone is it? It may have to do with the microphone setup. Some apps work a little differently on different phones. The App works constantly for me using the N1, except for one or two times that it gave me unreasonable speeds (might have been background noise).

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the phone i have is a My Touch google phone from T Mobile, as far as the bckground noise, my table is in my basement and absolutely quiet. I thought about that before I even started using it. this is a 9ft table with medium speed championship billiard cloth.

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try downloading the "cue break speed" app. After the install, just set the phone upright against the rail at the end of a pool table, start the app. There will be a cross-hair dead center on your screen. Place the cueball on the spot and hit it into your phone as hard as you can.

Any break over 26mph will shatter the phone, but at least you will have your break back.

The Schwartz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't bring myself to pay 6 bucks for the app. I just have a hard time believing that thing is accurate at all.

TheOneGnat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought they had an accelerometer? What does the mic/background noise have to do with it?

The phones do, but the app uses the microphone to record the time between the hit of the cue ball with the stick and the hit of the cue ball to the rack. You select the size of table and where you break from to give the distance that the cue ball is traveling and it uses those two numbers to give you a speed.

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
I went ahead and bought it because, well, it was an impulse. heh

I will say that it's always been consistent with me, and any of my friends who want to be tested. Now, whether that consistency is accurate... I can't tell - i don't have a radar gun; but I'm always in a 2 or 3 mph range - as is most everyone else I've tested. I have the Droid Eris (HTC Touch or Sense, I can't remember exactly), if that matters.

steev

Lazy User
Silver Member
I thought they had an accelerometer? What does the mic/background noise have to do with it?

The phone's accelerometer measures the phone's movement. I wouldn't recommend using the phone as the CB...it's not round.

-s

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got an iphone, ive looked up "cue break speed" but didn't find it, then i kept looking and found another app called "Break speed lite" not sure if this is what you mean, but I purchased this, and let me tell you. I don't think its accurate at all. something tells me that its wrong after few tries.

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
You could tape it to the cue!

I realize that's not the speed of the CB at all, but it should be within a MPH and probably a lot more consistent/accurate.

Last edited:

poolshooter74

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this app is kinda cool but it isnt that important. i hit some breaks under 20 mph and drop some balls and sometimes i hit over 20 mph and nothing drops. so it isnt really about the speed it is about accuracy more than speed. the only thing this would help with is the break speed contest. you see the pros using a soft break at times and that just shows it is about where you hit the rack.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I got it and practiced for an hour the other day. I believe it's accurate. after a while I got to where I could predict the readout to within one mph. I can just feel how close I came to my max which is sadly very low. given how hard you hit you might not get the same feel cuz you're just really drilling it. or maybe slightly off-center hits register as slower. the app assumes you hit the head ball square I'm guessing.

dareads

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was ready to download it when I read the reviews that it doesn't work right currently on the Samsung Galaxy S phones, which of course is what I have. Does anyone have the Samsung phone and tried the app yet?

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
measures distance from cue ball to rack (that is why you select table size & cue ball position) and the time difference between cue cue ball contact and cue ball rack contact

from there it is just math

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I got it and practiced for an hour the other day. I believe it's accurate. after a while I got to where I could predict the readout to within one mph. I can just feel how close I came to my max which is sadly very low. given how hard you hit you might not get the same feel cuz you're just really drilling it. or maybe slightly off-center hits register as slower. the app assumes you hit the head ball square I'm guessing.
I agree with you

I also have a good radar gun and have checked it against the Break Speed app on iPhone... it is accurate

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
this app is kinda cool but it isnt that important. i hit some breaks under 20 mph and drop some balls and sometimes i hit over 20 mph and nothing drops. so it isnt really about the speed it is about accuracy more than speed. the only thing this would help with is the break speed contest. you see the pros using a soft break at times and that just shows it is about where you hit the rack.
and, how the rack is racked... non-contacting balls can make a world of difference