Breakdancing Olympic sport 2024

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know there was an effort to get some form of billiards in the olympics, never got there. Not sure how breakdancing did it.
On TV I can see cornhole and bowling but no pool.
For pool, no respect

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know there was an effort to get some form of billiards in the olympics, never got there. Not sure how breakdancing did it.
On TV I can see cornhole and bowling but no pool.
For pool, no respect
I've got tons of respect for breakdancing, even though it's not my thing.

Why is cornhole on TV and not pool? Probably because cornholers will do it for a triple cheeseburger while pool players want $50,000 but don't want to dress smart, have alternate breaks or give up their god-given right to rack their own.

I jest, but there's a lot of truth written in jest. Leave pool with Matchroom - it's in good hands.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Why must we get tis thread every time something other than pool gets into the Olympics?

One must assume that the breakdancing organizations successfully demonstrated to the Olympic committee that breakdancing would add something of value to the Olympics.. Pool was given the opportunity to do the same when admitted as a sport in the 2001 World Games, but pool failed to gain the traction or audience to take the next step on the way to admittance into the Olympics.

Congrats to all the breakdancing enthusiasts on this nice achievement.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Why must we get tis thread every time something other than pool gets into the Olympics?

One must assume that the breakdancing organizations successfully demonstrated to the Olympic committee that breakdancing would add something of value to the Olympics.. Pool was given the opportunity to do the same when admitted as a sport in the 2001 World Games, but pool failed to gain the traction or audience to take the next step on the way to admittance into the Olympics.

Congrats to all the breakdancing enthusiasts on this nice achievement.

sometimes new leadership is needed

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
sometimes new leadership is needed
Olympics Games admittance should not be the measuring stick for success or failure of cue sports. The BCA's motivation, unless my memory is failing me, was to gain Olympic committee funding for American pros, which would have helped America's best in their training while ensuring them an income. No doubt, this would have helped cue sports in America. It was a noble goal, but putting all of pool's eggs in the Olympics basket may, in the perspective of history, have been ill advised. Investment in programs aimed at youths may have been more fruitful.

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
As a former bboy (let's not call it "breakdancing" because that is a colloquialism the mainstream media built up, like pool should be called "pocket billiards"), the concept of this art form being in the Olympics is pathetic, but inevitable... unfortunately. The whole reason why bboying became as such is because they reached the pinnacle of potential ability to evolve. Mostly alongside this, the IOC wanted to cater to the new-age audience, alongside skateboarding and surfing. In my perspective, bboying is an art form that was built for the ghetto kids by means to using Hip-Hop to defy the likes of the people of means that take their children to gymnastics and all other formal dance. I still cringe that all three of my favorite past-times have made it into the Olympics. I am just hoping it does not become such a serious thing.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still cringe that all three of my favorite past-times have made it into the Olympics.
Why cringe? I play pool for fun and know that the game is significantly inferior, from a technical point of view, to other cue sports. Yet, I'd still love to see it in the Olympics.